casual v's full time probation

ozymandias

so getting mixed messages from potential new employer, they are talking about a casual probation with a view to full time job. checked the government website and see casual explained and see full time with probation period explained , but it feels like casual probation is them fudging their responsibilities by taking advantage of the newbie.

does anybody know the score, i am intrested in the full time job but dont want to waste my time with an employer who is just looking to take advantage. does casual on probation exist?

ozy:nah:

It really doesn't make much difference to be honest. A trial period is a trial period but many companies will offer casual to begin with. The reason is if they think you are not good enough they can dismiss you and not owe you holiday pay etc. Its actually a good way ( from the employers point of view ) of sorting the wheat from the chaff.

I work casual, albeit it on a year to year contract, but there are no guarantees. I get an extra $5 per hour to take into account no sick leave or holiday pay. I am off sick at the moment so no money is coming in.

hi maryrose,

no problem with the casual per say, can see the logic for the company as other poster mentioned but there is no mention of a different pay rate or any explination of terms (like no sick pay). if they offer casual do they have to specify the terms cos at the moment i feel it is just a handy excuse to trial me with no impact on them if i don't work out. At a bit of a loss to be honest, thanks ozy

so getting mixed messages from potential new employer, they are talking about a casual probation with a view to full time job. checked the government website and see casual explained and see full time with probation period explained , but it feels like casual probation is them fudging their responsibilities by taking advantage of the newbie.

does anybody know the score, i am intrested in the full time job but dont want to waste my time with an employer who is just looking to take advantage. does casual on probation exist?

ozy:nah:

Sounds like casual with view to a perm position. Was the position a permanent one ? if so then your on probation for 6 months as with most jobs. If not casual with view to perm can go on for years as its cheaper for them...no holiday/sick pay etc, be careful.

hi maryrose,

no problem with the casual per say, can see the logic for the company as other poster mentioned but there is no mention of a different pay rate or any explination of terms (like no sick pay). if they offer casual do they have to specify the terms cos at the moment i feel it is just a handy excuse to trial me with no impact on them if i don't work out. At a bit of a loss to be honest, thanks ozy

Most people are on probation when they start a job. I work for a top ASX company and everybody is on probation when they start and yes it is to help the company. It is fact of life really, I am not sure I fully understand what your issue is, could you elaborate more as maybe we are missing something.

Most people are on probation when they start a job. I work for a top ASX company and everybody is on probation when they start and yes it is to help the company. It is fact of life really, I am not sure I fully understand what your issue is, could you elaborate more as maybe we are missing something.

Yeh but it's not called casual probation it's called permanent position (which of course always starts with 6 months probation).

Archived