Hi ,

Does anyone have any advice about the process of gaining a 457 self sponsorship visa . I am currently on a 457 visa but want to go self employed. I have been in oz for 2 years and have a further 2 left on my visa.

Tired of being controlled and trapped by the constraints of a visa. im over it ! :confused:

New business (less than a year) only allow 12 months on the applicants visa, you would probably need a new 12 month visa as the remaining 2 years is too much.

What do you mean Joe? OP wants to leave employer and start own company as I read it.

Hi ,

Does anyone have any advice about the process of gaining a 457 self sponsorship visa . I am currently on a 457 visa but want to go self employed. I have been in oz for 2 years and have a further 2 left on my visa.

Tired of being controlled and trapped by the constraints of a visa. im over it ! :confused:

It is possible, but difficult. May i suggest that you consult a registered migration agent for advice about your options?

What do you mean Joe? OP wants to leave employer and start own company as I read it.

Yes so did I, if he starts his own business then it's a start up business

Before 1 July 2013 - The terms of sponsorship for start-up businesses were the same as standard business sponsors.

After 1 July 2013 - The term of sponsorship approval for start-up businesses has been amended to an initial 12 months and all subclass 457 visa holders sponsored by start-up businesses are limited to an initial 12 month visa.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/changes-457-program.htm

He would be limited to max 12 month visa, his current visa still has 2 years on it.

Yes so did I, if he starts his own business then it's a start up business

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/changes-457-program.htm

He would be limited to max 12 month visa, his current visa still has 2 years on it.

While it would be true that a person nominated by a start up business would be limited to a 12 month visa, it doesn't apply to people who already hold a 457, only those applying for their first or a new one.

Archived