AQF 111 trade train ?

Guest karen111

Guest karen111

hi,

i,m looking for a bit of advice/ information.....

does anyone know about a company trade train ? we were just looking into the AQF 111 for chefs and apparently you would only require 4 not 5 years exp to make yourself eligible for the tra assessment, many thanks in advance if you could shed any light on costs and how it all works

karen

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Karen

Trade Train seems to be the trading name of a company called Australian Construction Training Services to judge from their website, which is here:

ACTS Australia | Welcome to Trade Train

I suspect, therefore, that they are unlikely to be offering to assess the skills of anyone who is not involved in contruction work.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest karen111
Hi Karen

Trade Train seems to be the trading name of a company called Australian Construction Training Services to judge from their website, which is here:

ACTS Australia | Welcome to Trade Train

I suspect, therefore, that they are unlikely to be offering to assess the skills of anyone who is not involved in contruction work.

Best wishes

Gill

hi gill,

yes i realise they are constrution based but they do apparently other courses also, thats about all i know though, i have emailed a query form to them but i,m still waiting for them to get back to me, thanks anyway

Hi.

I have been talking quite a lot to the people at trade train. My hubby is a dryliner (construction) and they can help to assess and provide him with an AQF3 within 6 weeks, by means of an interview, references, photos of his work, accounts, etc. Expensive at £3750 but I personally think they sound interesting!

Try emailing chris.galway@tradetrain.com.au.

I can't see how, if he gets the certificate, that TRA can turn us down. Or have I completely got the wrong end of the stick?

Anyway, hope this helps.

Guest karen111

hi thatnks for that, we have had an email back and yes they do assessments for chefs also, we had not got as far as how expensive, is it the same price for all trades do you know, and yes this is my understanding of how it works also

That's good news for you. I have no idea about the cost, but I would be inclined to say that the cost will be the same for any trade. The application fee is £750, then there are 2 installments of £1500, the last one at the hand over of the certificate. I think they do actually provide other things for that price, such as helping with licensing requirements when you're actually in Oz too.

They've been really helpful actually. Good luck. Let me know the name of your restaurant when you are all set up and I'll bring the family for a meal!

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Karen

I have been looking at your earlier thread on this subject.

I gather that your chef query is on behalf of your son, who is a chef but who may not yet have enough work experience to go with it? Or the other way around?

The reason i am asking is this:

Is there any reason why he shouldn't go to Oz on a WHMV in the first instance?

Sure, to get 2 years on a WHMV he would have to spend 3 months doing something like farming according to the DIAC website, but please read the relevant to you parts of my reply to Scotty yesterday:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/news-gossip-chat/33265-help-info-visa-please.html

It does not seem to be as narrow as farming and there seems to be a plan to add construction to the list though it seems not to have been added as yet.

However, apart from that 3-4 months, he could continue to work as a chef. He could get himself assessed for AQFIII at a local TAFE, and make sure he gets the necessary 900 hours of work experience so that he can pass the TRA under Pathway E as far as I can work out.

Please see the following links:

Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - News

Please click on the link to the UAC at the bottom of that article and study the UAC.

Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - News

If your son is already in Oz on a WHMV, then getting an AQFIII etc from a TAFE - which could be arranged direct with the TAFE I would imagine - would seem to be cheaper?

I've also heard (but I am not sure and you would need to check it out) that 6 months work exp in Oz is worth 12 months outside of Oz. I'm NOT sure, though.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest karen111

hi, thanks for the reply gill

do you know how we can find out if this is do-able ? would they be able to help if i rang australia house,

sorry for being a bit thick but can i just check i,m getting you right, so he could leave on a working holiday visa then once he arrived in oz he could apply to TAFE to be assessed for an AQF 11, this would mean he wouldn,t have to get anymore experience then, as if we leave when we hope to in oct, he will have 4 years and 2 months experience and for an AQF he only requires 4 years ? this would make him eligible for applying to the TRA, ?

there is no reason for him to not go on a WHV other than we want to help him feel as settled as possible which he wouldn,t do on a WHV without knowing where this would lead,

he has such a large cicle of freinds that he has been with since beginning high school, so i think things will be a bit hard for him at first as it is, if your solution as i,ve interpreted it is a very good solution,

many thanks again gill

Hi there , so once you get the AQF111 from trade train wud this pass TRA? I have been a slater in scotland for 18 years but no qualifications and i was quoted £700 for the same tpye of assessment and would of been awarded a SVQ 2 in roof slating and tiling and this would of taken 6 weeks or so to do but this would no longer pass . So now your saying that if an assesser from oz came over to watch me do my job he can award me an AQF111 and he probably hasnt seen or held a slate in his hand in his life.

Sorry folks but im sceptical

Thanks stevie

Guest karen111
Hi there , so once you get the AQF111 from trade train wud this pass TRA? I have been a slater in scotland for 18 years but no qualifications and i was quoted £700 for the same tpye of assessment and would of been awarded a SVQ 2 in roof slating and tiling and this would of taken 6 weeks or so to do but this would no longer pass . So now your saying that if an assesser from oz came over to watch me do my job he can award me an AQF111 and he probably hasnt seen or held a slate in his hand in his life.

Sorry folks but im sceptical

Thanks stevie[/qu

i honestly dont know,

we only discovered it yesterday so we,re still finding out how it all works, i,ve had a few reply,s on other sites and they sound very positive and a few have gone on to gian a succesful tra assessment,

i gather trade train expect you to have the relevant work experience and skills that they then assess to the australian standard required for a AFQ qualification, and if certain elements were missing, train you in these area,s. this is my very limited understanding, feel free to correct me if this is wrong anyone ?

Guest karen111

also stevie they are based in au AND uk although i believe the uk is only a recent thing, southampton i think but i,m not a hundred per cent sure where

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Karen

You could try asking Oz House about the possibility I suggest for your son but I think you would do better to check with a Registered Migration Agent.

I would suggest that you give either Ian Harrop or Tony Coates a ring at Ian Harrop Associates.

Please see here:

Registered Australian Migration Agents, UK - Ian Harrop and Associates

Best wishes

Gill

Guest karen111

Gill, we have had an email back from trade train and just wanted to let you know we have learnt that our son would be eligible to be assessed now for AQF 111, he would not have to wait for the 4 years relevant experience mark which he would,ve had sept 1st anyway,this is becouse he actually worked as a kitchen hand, BEFORE deciding to work and train for his NVQ certificate and although i had assumed it would only be post and during qualification that would be counted towards 'time served' we have been advised by trade train that the period before study ( as long as still relevant to your trade) will still be counted for the benefit of an AQF certificates. they also said that his NVQ's would qoute add a lot of weight to his experience and help for this Qualification in ref to an AQF

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Karen

I recommend that you double check TradeTrain's advice with a Registered Migration Agent.

But it would be easier for your son to do the type of assessment offered by TradeTrain in Oz anyway, at one of the TAFEs, plus if he is already in Oz anyway, working on a WHMV, then plainly it would also be significantly less costly for him to go direct to a TAFE is order to have his qualifications and experience assessed and then an AQF III awarded.

The coupled with his UK qualifications and experience should then put your son into a very strong position with TRA, I would guess, but I am pretty sure that you will find that the financial conundrum would work better if you get the AQF III obtained when your son is already in Oz.

Best wishes

Gill

Gill, we have had an email back from trade train and just wanted to let you know we have learnt that our son would be eligible to be assessed now for AQF 111, he would not have to wait for the 4 years relevant experience mark which he would,ve had sept 1st anyway,this is becouse he actually worked as a kitchen hand, BEFORE deciding to work and train for his NVQ certificate and although i had assumed it would only be post and during qualification that would be counted towards 'time served' we have been advised by trade train that the period before study ( as long as still relevant to your trade) will still be counted for the benefit of an AQF certificates. they also said that his NVQ's would qoute add a lot of weight to his experience and help for this Qualification in ref to an AQF

Please remember that the AQF Certificate III is one element in the skilled visa strategy - it is used to facilitate an application to Trades Recognition Australia under their Skill Pathway E, which requires (when applying on the basis of a workplace assessment - I quote here from TRA's Uniform Assessment Criteria):

" ... relevant and directly related work experience equalling not less than 4 years."

You must then consider at what point the individual's work experience is "skilled" in the context of the general skilled visa threshold criteria - the applicant must have worked in a skilled occupation for 12 months in the 2 years immediately preceding the lodgement of the visa application with the Department of Immigration.

Some migration agents will carry out an assessment of the skilled work position before larger sums of money are committed - can I therefore recommend that all who are not clearly over the work experience hurdles consider taking some professional advice before they commit a fair few £'s to a process which may not result in the hoped for outcome?

Anyone who is concerned might have a chat with Tony Coates/Ian Harrop, or us:

Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - Contact and Feedback

Best regards.

Guest karen111

hi again allen, i would of course check all this but our son will have the criteria you qouted above, 4 years relaevant work experience and would also have worked for 12 twelve months of 24 immediatly before applying so i would hope he would then be able to do as gill suggested and wait untill in oz and apply direct to TAFE, instaed of going thro trade train, again i realise gaining the AQF is just to enable him to then apply for TRA approval, but as he would still require a year of experience without the AQF i think it needs to be given serious consideration, this would also mean he would require only one HWV depending on how long it takes to get his AQF although trade train seem to think this would proberly take in the region of 6 weeks as most of the skills needed to be learnt with the AQF he will already have learnt whilst doing his NVQ,s

NVQ 2 & 3 which is what he has now, does all that make sense anyone ?

and again, many thanks for your advice and imput

• 2 months later...
Guest Bella
Hi can anyone tell me if they have had a positive outcome from using trade train ? Cause i have emailed them about getting the AQF111 in roof slating and tiling

Hi Steve

What was your outcome with this ?

• 3 years later...
Guest Jack Byrindi

Hi Guys

Please be aware of the following

There are other Training Organisations in Australia who do the same thing and for less money.

Skills Assessment for trade qualifications is a very legitimate way of recognising a persons ability to perform their job.

The process is mainly about gathering evidence. I can tell within a short while if a person knows their trade, from then on it is about finding out how much they know and then training what they don't know.

If you have been in your trade for afew years then it is usually just a matter of proving that you actually "know what you know".

In short there are other alternatives for gaining Australian qualifications and information about the system, and how it works.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest dundazi

Have just rung TRA who tell me they do not assess Me for fitter(general) SOL 323211 as I only have job references and courses certificates I also have 8 years on the job but as I have no trade qualifications they cannot assess me

What do I do now give up or what any advice would be gratefully received....

Archived