UK Passport EXPIRY

ausHWC

G'day,

Does anyone know if there is a restriction on the expiry date you must have on your UK passport before emigrating to Oz?

For example, we are coming over on a 457 visa, with my passport expiring in 3 years (2017)and my wife's in 4 years (2018). I'm worried that when we land in Melbourne the customs people stops us and turns us around back to the UK because our passport expiry is too short!?

Sorry if this topic has been covered, thanks for any input.

Cheers all,

I can't imagine 3 and 4 years are a problem, but under one year it might be different, especially with those long delays at the Passport Office.

From immi.gov.au

[h=2]Travel documents required for all other travellers[/h]All travellers other than Australian and New Zealand citizens need to present the following documents to officers in immigration clearance:

• a valid passport or other acceptable travel document
  • a valid visa or authority to enter Australia (including electronic visas)
  • a completed and signed Incoming Passenger Card, including health and character declaration.
    See: Passenger cards

Anyone who arrives without a valid travel document, visa or authority to enter Australia, may be refused entry to Australia or delayed until their identity and claims to enter Australia have been confirmed.

Just have to make sure your passport isnot going to expire whilst you are in OZ, although I saw on Pommie passport site, you can apply for a one year extension to an existing passport.

Might be a stupid question, but: Do you need a valid passport to live in Australia? My partner's current passport expires 6months before we will be eligible for Aus citizenship. If he doesn't leave the country, would we need to apply for a new passport at the embassy (long and complicated process) or can he just wait until he can get his Australian passport?

Generally I would think that you always need a passport, but is the visa valid if the passport is expired?

Might be a stupid question, but: Do you need a valid passport to live in Australia? My partner's current passport expires 6months before we will be eligible for Aus citizenship. If he doesn't leave the country, would we need to apply for a new passport at the embassy (long and complicated process) or can he just wait until he can get his Australian passport?

Generally I would think that you always need a passport, but is the visa valid if the passport is expired?

AFAIK he can sit with an expired UK passport in Aus. Plenty of people on here seem to have done so while waiting for aus citizenship or not having any travel plans.

Hi

Keep the passport handy because his visa is tied to that passport number. You do not need to renew the passport unless you intend traveling outside Australia. I have only just renewed my UK passport and that was purely in case of an emergency in the UK. Once you become a citizen your visa is cancelled as citizens do not need a visa.

So do not stress a current Passport is not needed.... :)

You don't need a passport to live in a country, but you need one to get into it, and to get out of it, and maybe a visa too.

I let my Pommie passport expire a couple of years ago, but I have my Aussie one. Come to think of it, what happens if I go to the UK? Am I just treated as any other 'alien?'