Nursing

malcval

So if you are an RGN in the uk with a nursing diploma and a degree in community nursing with 15 years experience as a sister you cannot get registration in Oz even though you have passed the skills assessment and been granted a visa- but with a nursing degree with minimum experience you will get registration!! Wake up Australia or your hospitals will be staffed with inexperienced nursing staff-is that what you want?

Malcval, I understand you are frustrated and I don't believe AHPRA have made a fair decision but be careful how you word these things. Australia does have experienced nurses of their own (albeit apparently a nursing shortage) but I am myself a inexperienced nurse and I don't think that makes me a bad nurse. I do take far more time and effort to ensure that my patients are happy and contented and that the care needs of all are met above and beyond what is required. Just because I am inexperienced does not make me undeserving of a new life in Australia. There are some amazing nurses in your situation with your experience, but there are also some terrible ones too. Its the same with the inexperienced nurses. I have met some very passionate nurses who are relatively newly qualified that have taught me more than those with experience because they still believe in their role.

I am sorry, for your situation and I hope its not the end of the path for you but please don't put down others because of AHPRAs decisions.

My wife Is a clinical nurse educator and often states that what the new australian grads lack in experience, they make up for in quality...............always keen to learn, hard workers, and dedicated to their new positions. She says her role is "refreshing" compared to her (sometimes) frustration at trying to teach "old dogs new tricks"...........says it all IMHO. Experience, in some cases, does not neccessarly equate to best (up to date) practice.

My wife Is a clinical nurse educator and often states that what the new australian grads lack in experience, they make up for in quality...............always keen to learn, hard workers, and dedicated to their new positions. She says her role is "refreshing" compared to her (sometimes) frustration at trying to teach "old dogs new tricks"...........says it all IMHO.

I worked in the NHS on major change programs - and often found that the new grads were really keen to embrace emerging clinical process, were fired up by their university education - Lots of senior nurses who were supportive too and provided great leadership, but the new grads bring an energy and enthusiasm to the role which is not worn down by years of struggling to deliver in what can be a pretty challenging environment. My daughter will graduate as a nurse soon and I think will do a great job - she's a very hard worker and pretty humbled by the expertise around her, but very keen to learn. I just hope that she doesn't have a hard time getting a junior role - opportunities for junior nurses in QLD seem a bit thin on the ground!

And us 'old Australian with load of experience nurses that make up 2/3 of the nursing workforce will sit tight and continue to give the best outcome care to the Australian community. Its so unfortunate that with the lack of nursing positions, our new grads are not getting any work so that they can replentesh the (oldies with the loads of experience that make up 2/3 of the Australian nursing population) when we all retire. Give new graduates jobs, none should be without a nursing position.!!

Your wife is the best Johndoe, after all the negative comments about Australian nursing education!!

Apologies I was not infering newly qualified nurses are bad nurses it's just that RGNs from the uk are upto date with latest and best practice- my point was that after a skills assessment and a pr visa granted with a date at which you must be in Australia you would assume that this infers you will be issued with registration to allow you to work

Archived