Shipping stuff from England to Australia?

Rock On

Hi everyone, just wanted to ask if any body know how I could send my stuff from England to Australia, how long does it take? how much will it cost? AND also what are the best services available? thanks

It depends how much you want to take. There are lots of companies out there who can help if you need a container, or part of a container, or there's a move cube. We're shipping using part of a container and have had 3 quotes so far, all of which have been pretty similar.

It depends how much you want to take. There are lots of companies out there who can help if you need a container, or part of a container, or there's a move cube. We're shipping using part of a container and have had 3 quotes so far, all of which have been pretty similar.

Hi Tina.

Do you mind telling me the

name of the companies you have taken quotes from? We're due to exchange contracts next week and I need to get a move on, literally.

We looked at PSS, Crown and Pickfords. Just need to make a decision, but we need to get a shift on, as I want to ship it in 4 weeks!!!

Read positive and horror stories on pretty much every company!! We'll just pick the one we've got the best 'feel' of, as the quotes were similar.

Hi everyone, just wanted to ask if any body know how I could send my stuff from England to Australia, how long does it take? how much will it cost? AND also what are the best services available? thanks

hi,

How much are you taking? Is it a full household, all your furniture and effects or just a few boxes?

There are lots of options available - exclusive containers, shared loose load containers, crated part container loads, air freight or excess baggage, the best option depends on the volume of your items, your budget, the timescale you need your items etc.

For companies you can look at the FIDI website which has a directory of independently certified professional international removal companies, or for reviews check out trustedmover.org, the reviews site of the British Association of Removers and look for Overseas Group members.

hope that helps!

Hi,

As stated above, it depends on how much you are taking. We have a little 1 Bed house here in the UK and are loading generally the lot into a Large Movecube on Monday. Once it's done I can give you a better idea on how much it fits, although the dimensions are all online, sometimes it's easier to understand by having a list of what fits! The movecube is through sevenseas worldwide - very easy process and comes in 3 different sizes. We went for large as our sofa is long, and it was the only size long enough to fit it in. For that and customs inspection/clearance in Oz it's between £1300 and £1400 - There will only be additional cost if there are any items that cause difficulties.

We weighed it up on the basis of how much would it cost to replace everything once we got there if we didn't take it (+ the familiarity of having some home comforts to help us settle in) and for us personally it was FAR cheaper and more reassuring to ship our things. As I say, We're packing it up on Monday and sending it straight over, we're then moving in with the OH's parents until we fly in September and our Movecube should arrive a few weeks after us (If all goes to plan).

It all depends on your individual circumstances, but this is what was best for us. Best of luck and give me a shout if I can help with any info.

Hazel x

Hi all

We used a shared container with PSS at a cost of £1490 for 250 cubic feet which is a little bigger than the largest MoveCube, we managed to shift loads of stuff, but in hindsight we wish we hadn't bothered. The shared containers only go once every 4 weeks with PSS and then it takes between 8 and 12 weeks to get here, we need the stuff we have shipped now, so we have had to buy replacement stuff new.

We had read all the horror stories about how expensive everything was, but in reality, if you shop around and haggle, you can get some really good bargains, we have furnished our rental with good quality furniture and effects for around $3400 (about £1800) there is no way we could have done it for that in the UK!!

Electrics are the biggest surprise, they are far cheaper here than in the UK, a good 42" Samsung LCD TV for about $550 (£300) for example, even the Bose stuff is around 25% cheaper.

We went to A-mart who were having an end of year sale and purchased a number of 'end of line' items for less than half of their original price.

If I'd had my time again, my stuff would have been in suitcases on the plane and not in some container!

Good luck with your decision.

Our stuff is currently on the sea somewhere, we had a 3 bed semi in the UK and thought we'd get a 20ft container!! No such luck, we had too much junk so ended up with a 40ft!! Have been really happy with the service up to this point, will let you know how it goes when it arrives this end!!

We had 2 companies quote and the first one totally underestimated the amount we had, the other one got it spot on, had we have gone with the first company it would have cost us so much more, and right at the last minute too.

Good luck

We looked at PSS, Crown and Pickfords. Just need to make a decision, but we need to get a shift on, as I want to ship it in 4 weeks!!!

Read positive and horror stories on pretty much every company!! We'll just pick the one we've got the best 'feel' of, as the quotes were similar.

Thank you

Our stuff is on it's way. We used john mason and so far they have been great ( the two guys who came to pack up were ace!). We ended up with a 20ft container (4 bed house and lots of junk but we got rid of loads too!). I think it was about £3600 in total (can't remember exact figure). There were a couple of bits that wouldn't fit in but we had prioritised and we were only taking the bits if we fitted them in (we weren't too bothered about them - few chairs etc). They came for our stuff June 19th&20th and we expect it delivered beginning of sept so about 2 1/2 months. Good luck.

My advice is get a quote not " Estimate" as that leaves it open to price increase, we actually shipped less but got charged more when questioned about it the reply it was only a Estimate not a quote .plenty of info about shipping companies on here if you do a search .

good luck with your move.

Thanks guys for the options you have provided me, actually I'm not taking any house stuff, just my everyday stuff such as clothes, shoes and other accessories. The weight most probably be up to 50kg extra to what I can take on the plane.. May be a cargo services that are available from England to Australia? thanks once again

I used PSS this time last year to ship my stuff over, they were great, unfortunately things didn't work out in oz so had to come back and my stuff is currently being shipped by seven seas. Both are good but I felt the service I got from PSS was better, they explained stuff to me however with seven seas I felt I kept having to ask them questions to find out stuff. Good luck

Archived