Money Transfers

Gidza

Hi guys.

I know this is a common topic so must have been disussed elsewhere. However, I have searched older threads and can't quite find one with specific answers.

What's your recommendation regarding the best company to deal with and what are the timelines?

Anything I should look out for. I know some offer fee-free services but will give you a lower exchange rate to make up for the £0 fee.

Any suggestions welcome.

Not sure if this will help your situation but when I have transferred money in to foriegn accounts abroad and vice versa I always do it via Paypal as they charge much less than doing it directly from your bank / through any other companies. Also, I know it's not the safest of options but if I was you I would consider taking cash (so you can get the best exchange rate at home) and then paying it in to your new bank when you arrive and have it all set up.

Not sure if this will help your situation but when I have transferred money in to foriegn accounts abroad and vice versa I always do it via Paypal as they charge much less than doing it directly from your bank / through any other companies. Also, I know it's not the safest of options but if I was you I would consider taking cash (so you can get the best exchange rate at home) and then paying it in to your new bank when you arrive and have it all set up.

Thanks. What's the max cash allowabke through immigration. I have been thinking about taking some cash with me as well

I have no idea to be honest - I shoud imagine it's a fair few thousand though! If you know anybody already out in Oz it might be worth asking them to check the exchange rate at the more popular exchange places as you might get more for your money exchanging it once you arrive?!

Thanks. What's the max cash allowabke through immigration. I have been thinking about taking some cash with me as well

You must declare anything of $10,000 or more. I'd wire it tbh, safer than carrying large amounts.

HiFX have been brilliant with regards to any transfers I've done so would recommend them.

Saying that Moneycorp are a partner of this forum and offer free transfers to forum members so they are worth baring in mind when you come to do it.

Please don't carry cash, I know it's easy and straight forward but it takes just 1 person in the airport to swipe your wallet and you're screwed!

It's worth checking out Citibank. I've just opened a Citibank Plus account with them in Australia and have already transferred money back to the UK. They charged NO FEES!! Usually if you find a "no fee" provider, they make up for it by giving you a lousy exchange rate - but in this case, I got a good exchange rate, much better than currently being offered by my old bank.

I use CurrencyFair constantly great rates and $4 commission per transaction. I have not found anywhere better. Once the accounts are setup it is all pretty seamless. Great communication from them also everything is very prompt and efficient.

Archived