IS NOVEMBER A GOOD TIME TO GO???????

Guest fancyfella

Guest fancyfella

HI FOLKS,

In a bit of a dilemma flying out to Melbourne on 9th or 16th of November ,But the more I'm thinking about it the more I'm thinking to leave it till the beginning of January because will we be able to rent a house before Xmas sorting Xmas out for the three kids and with out all the other things to sort out .Has anyone gone in November and found it all ok sorting everything out or is anyone else going in November and feels the same.

THANKS FOR YOU'RE TIME FANCYFELLA AND THE TRIBE

P.S.YOULL NEVER WALK ALONE

I'm sure this is not the biggest thing to take into consideration, but November is apparently the cheapest time to fly. I have spoken with Singapore airlines, and they said just that. They are offering one way flights up until 30th November for £454.20 p.p with 40 kilo luggage each.

As I say, I know this doesn't rate much in the grand scheme of things, but the smaller things mount up.

We are going in November, just because thats when our house sale completes, and we can't wait to get out there. We have been in touch with estate agents, and although properties for rent go quite quickly, they are often replaced and you do have choice. That said, we are heading for the Sunshine coast, so I can't speak for Melbourne. Go onto realestate .com.au, and check out rental homes, then contact the agents, get the info from them.

Good luck

Difficult one this - we've opted to fly in January £1,800 for 2 adults and 2 children to Perth. We thought moving just prior to xmas would be hard - wouldn't know anyone and feel like Billy no mates on xmas day, having to find pressies (and not knowing where the best deals were for the kids), the children naturally break up for xmas, so are able to say proper goodbyes and there are lots of parties (so hopefully won't feel too bad). For us, it just seemed better to go early January but that's a purely personal thing.

Ali

We are Brisbane bound November ,Gary wanted to leave it till March because of the heat but for me that was leaving it too late as we have to validate by April and knowing my lot someone would break a leg or something and not be able to fly ,,not that im a pessimist or anything,

On the present front ,theres always Toys r us,i think my 2 will be getting pushbikes etc ,the things they 'had to leave behind', must admit ,i did sneek some wrapping paper and stocking fillars in the shippment and will hide some in the cases when hubby not looking!!

We have contacted afew Estate agents around the area we are heading ,as i believe the rental process can 'drag ,they said we should hopefully be able to do most of the paperwork on-line before we arrive then its just a case of viewing ,,no agent will commit a property until you or someone on your behalf has given it the o.k,which isnt that easy when your hundreds of miles away !! BUT of the 8 or so agents we contacted only 3 or 4 replied ,,so persiver you can do it

Good luck

Cal x

We're taking the bikes with us (or rather shipping them out), as they're almost new. Think it's Game Boy, DS and MP3 players for my two which will fit nicely into the luggage.

We've managed to get some furnished accomodation sorted out via the internet in a nice area (for first 3 months) then will actively start looking for unfurnished longer term rental when we get there.

Ali

When we came out we left the UK on 5 November on a flight out of Manchester (missed the fireworks (Boo Hoo))... and arrived on 6th.

I had secured a job offer within a week and a half, and spent 3 weeks in a serviced apartment whilst house-hunting. I started work 26 November.

We got a rental (a 12 month lease in Melbourne) organised and signed up first week of December, ...and had our first ever Aussie Christmas.

The best Christmas present... ....our container arrived on Christmas eve!

That first few weeks in the rental were weird... we had very little other than what we had brought in suitcases... as all the stuff was in the container.

We had gone to the local K-Mart and bought a picnic table and chairs, and a picnic cutlery and cup and plate set... a couple of camp-beds for the kids and other bits and pieces. My new workmates were great... one had lent us a telly, another a sofa-bed and so fortyh (Aussies are generally salt-of -the-earth, as good many of them either did this themselves, or have known lots of others who have done it....arrived with a suitcase.)

The container brought our life... the kids toys...my computer...more clothes, furniture....

...and the Christmas tree!

The school year starts late Jan/Early feb...so if you have kids...November is good.

Cal,

I organised the accomodation from a site called move to perth. The school I want to get the kids into has been great their initial response to my email was so friendly and helpful. They've emailed me enrollment forms to send back and the principle has organised a pen pal for Alex who will be in the same year as her so she'll know someone when she arrives and has someone to connect with when the term starts.

Ali

• 2 weeks later...
Guest vlermouse

Hi,

I am coming from a different perspective: I moved from South Africa to the UK at the end of November, but this might give you some things to think about too.

In my experience, moving at the end of November was the worst thing I could have done and I should have waited until March or April. Part of this was because of the winter, which obviously doesn't count in Oz though.

Do you have a job lined up or will you be looking for work? In my opinion December can be a bad time to look for work, with companies focusing on Christmas and holidays (remember December is similar to August in the UK where everyone is away).

Also, my partner and I both have our birthdays in December, plus there was Christmas and new year, which was really lonely. (And we had no money to buy presents because we were using it to buy furniture and pay deposits etc). If I could do it again, I would spend a last Christmas at home and really appreciate the time with family and friends before making the move in the new year and 'starting afresh'.

If you do decide to go before Christmas, with a bit of effort you could make a really special summer Christmas for your family and it will all be part of the experience though.

Personally, being a southern hemispherean, I'd love to get there before Christmas and have prawns on the barbie! Yum yum :D

I know I seem to contradict myself, but I just thought I'd share my experience.

Cat

I'm sure this is not the biggest thing to take into consideration, but November is apparently the cheapest time to fly.

Not sure I'd agree with this - The Ashes kick off at the start of November....

Choobs

Guest Flintoff

THE BATTLE FOR THE ASHES –AN EVENING WITH “FREDDIE” FLINTOFF & FRIENDS

SYDNEY - MONDAY 13 NOVEMBER

BRISBANE - MONDAY 20 NOVEMBER

Outstanding and memorable evenings celebrating international cricket!

Join England’s Test Cricket Captain ANDREW FLINTOFF and a host of cricket stars for international cricket’s night of the year. Plus a chance to play indoor cricket with the world’s greatest cricketers. A star-studded line up from the worlds of TV, sport and entertainment, including many of the Ashes heroes, have been helping “Freddie” Flintoff throughout 2006, support his chosen charities:

v The Shane Warne Foundation

v The Chase Ben Hollioake Fund

v The Lord's Taverners

v Leukaemia Research

v The Kirsty Appeal

Monday 13 November – The Westin, No1 Martin Place, Sydney

Dressing Room drinks and Net Session 6.30pm – 7pm

Match Commences – Dinner Served 7pm / Carriages 11pm

Master of Ceremonies Alan Jones AO

Battle for the Ashes Debate with Bob Simpson, Brett Lee, Kevin Pietersen, Freddie & Friends moderated by Richie Benaud OBE

Celebrity Auctioneer Jeffery Archer

Special Guests Aaron O’Brian, Jonathan Agnew, 1948 Bradman Invincible - Neil Harvey, Tom Cooper, Matthew Hoggard, Grant Lambert, Stuart MacGill, Greg Matthews, Mike Whitney plus past and present members of the Australian, NSW and England cricket teams.

Tickets (all prices include GST)

$250 per person

$2,500 per table of ten

$5000 per VIP Corporate Table- Includes a prominently positioned table of ten, ten tickets to attend the private VIP cocktail party with Andrew Flintoff, a full page advertisement in the dinner program, logo recognition in the dinner program and on the screens on the night.

Monday 20 November – The Gabba, Brisbane

Dressing Room drinks and Net Session 6.30pm – 7pm

Match Commences – Dinner Served 7pm / Carriages 11pm

Master of Ceremonies Tony Squires

Battle for the Ashes Debate with Ian Botham, Michael Vaughan, Shane Warne, Freddie & Friends

Celebrity Auctioneer Jeffery Archer

Special Guests 1948 Bradman Invincibles – Bill Brown and Sam Loxton, Chris Hartley, Ian Healy, Tiffany Cherry, Neil Fairbrother, Matthew Hoggard, Hayley Lewis plus past and present members of the Australian, Queensland and England cricket teams.

Tickets (all prices include GST)

$195per person

$1950 per table of ten

$5000 per VIP Corporate Table- Includes a prominently positioned table of ten, ten tickets to attend the private VIP cocktail party with Andrew Flintoff, a full page advertisement in the dinner program, logo recognition in the dinner program and on the screens on the night.

FOR TICKET BOOKINGS, INTERVIEWS AND MORE INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT SOPHIE MEREDITH; TEL 02 9699 2000, EMAIL Sophie@marksonsparks.com

Archived