PityTheFool

Hi all,

Could someone please explain to me the climate in Brisbane / Sunshine Coast?

Often hear about the humidity, the huge hail stones and obviously the heat, I know it's a sub-tropical climate but I don't really know what this means on a day to day basis.

Is it hot in summer with torrential rain for 30 mins and then dry within the hour? Is the winter better than the summer? Are there only two seasons? What are typical temperatures? Questions, questions, questions...

I've seen all the weather data on various websites but I don't think that paints a true picture, would love to hear from people that actually live, or have lived there.

This last summer the weather in general was great during the day, but the humidity would get worse and then rain in the night, so didn't really affect you much.

Haven't seen much in the way of hail stones in the 2 1/2 years i've been here.

It is never cold in the day year round and I wear tshirt and shorts pretty much all the time during the day (if not at work). Low 20's is standard in the winter and low 30's standard in the summer. Difference being that it rain's much less during the wintery months.

Is the rain mostly at night then? And does it dry up by morning or is it wet for most of the day? Do they tend to be storms or would it be grey sky all day with drizzly rain?

The rain was mostly at night last summer, the summer before there was more in the day, but it tends to be storms that come and go. Can't remember many days where it was overcast all day.

I suppose it all depends on what you naturally enjoy. I always love the warmth and can't wait for winter to be over. For some the winter really appeals as it's so mild in the day (bit like a warm UK summer) Been here 18 months and have a couple of box sets which are for rainy miserable days ( you know day in day out no let up weeks on end ) but I haven't taken the cellophane off them yet ! It's definitely cold at night in the winter but it lasts for such a short period of time that your biggest concern is slapping on your factor 50 and a sun hat. For us climate was the big draw card as we can nip to the big cities for a trip from the Sunny Coast Airport I just didn't want to swap UK weather for more of the same. It really is each to their own though :)

You can guarantee it will start hammering it down at 5 to 3 as your walking into school to pick the kids up,lol, and when i say 'Hammer it down' its like you would never believe!! It tends to dry up quickly and the rain itself doesnt always last long. Winter nights are cold and a wood fire is popular over here or electric heaters, i use both and wouldnt be without them in July and August.

Agree there has been no major hail for a while now as far as i am aware, but when it does the size can be unreal. You need to try and put your car undercover as it can cause a lot of damage.

Heat wise Dec /Jan seem to be the hottest, if you have air con in the car and ceiling fans or air con in the house you should be fine, of course access to a pool makes it much more enjoyable,lol.

IMO the worst bit of QLD weather is the cold dark winter nights, I just have to keep thing its not for long,only a couple of months before its not and warm of an evening again.

Cal x

I'm not sure where the others live, but I am in the Western suburbs of Brisbane. Last year we had golf ball size hail that went through a skylight, our neighbours had several solar panes smash. We've had a couple more bouts since then too - each time definite golf ballers. Car damage of those who didn't move them in time was quite bad, one car got a smashed windscreen when the wind picked up in combination with the hail at its largest. It can be pretty bad, there has been one notable bout this year - we never ignore the warnings now we've seen what damage it can do. Put it this way, it would seriously bloody hurt to stand out in it, and driving would be dangerous. It possibly only lasts 20 mins or so, but the damage it does in that time cab be considerable.

I've heard about the hail so I watched so videos on YouTube, wow, it's insane, I wouldn't want to be caught out in that - not without a hard hat on!!

So is it fair to say that summers are hot, humid and wet at times, winter is warm and sunny with cold nights?

Are there any other 'seasons' or just the two?

I think you're pretty close with your descriptions. Winter is a little subjective as since I have acclimatised I find anything below 20 degrees quite cold, so for me i'm currently needing jeans, closed shoes, long sleeve tops, body warmers and fleeces etc. Winter - even during the day - is like a UK winter for me. But others don't have this issue, so it depends how you adjust. The early mornings in winter can be quite cold, so maybe 2-3 degrees. I would say there are still four seasons as its the changing temp rather than rain that dictates this for me. E.g. There is a period of time in spring where the temp will go up, but the humidity hasn't kicked in yet.

Autumn and spring basically the same weather wise and my favourite time of year. Saying that this winter has been nice. Just a little cool in evenings..

I live inner north and not seen this mega hail...must be due some!

Autumn and spring basically the same weather wise and my favourite time of year. Saying that this winter has been nice. Just a little cool in evenings..

I live inner north and not seen this mega hail...must be due some!

Oh no - don't say that! I wouldn't wish it on you, seriously, you're not missing anything.... its pretty scary because you don't know if its going to do damage, but yet there is nothing you can do about it if it does! When our skylight went it was a mini-nightmare because of course it was a Sunday night, and still raining.

Oh no - don't say that! I wouldn't wish it on you, seriously, you're not missing anything.... its pretty scary because you don't know if its going to do damage, but yet there is nothing you can do about it if it does! When our skylight went it was a mini-nightmare because of course it was a Sunday night, and still raining.

Worked out why I didn't notice the hail. Seems the bad storm was a weekend I was at Burleigh Heads in that week in Nov 2012 where it was also storming spectacularly but no hail.

You seem to have it pretty right.

The first summer here it rained a lot - solidly for about 6 weeks it seemed!

Last summer it didn't rain much in the day at all.

Seems not to rain between Aug-November at all. Well virtually nothing anyway. Beautiful.

The one thing that really caught me out was the winter night time temperatures and how cold the houses get. It was 8C in my bedroom the other morning and no central heating! I have an electric blanket here which I never had before. Every evening I am wrapped in big jumpers and blankets and slipper boots!

My place doesn't get that cold but I do put the heater on so I can keep my shorts on.. Are you in a Queenslander Alaska? They get freezing at night I found

Yeah! Although weather still been great during day right now. Weather was incredible this weekend. Shorts and thongs the order of the day. Only really colder after 7 ish

Ha ha, sounds awesome, been raining all weekend in Melbourne, grey skies and rain - great! It stopped for an hour so we went our for a walk to get the boys out of the house, then it pissed it down again and we all got drenched. Shorts and thongs seem a distant memory!!

Yeah! Although weather still been great during day right now. Weather was incredible this weekend. Shorts and thongs the order of the day. Only really colder after 7 ish

Brrrr not for me! I'm in full winter get up! But I would add that I'm a pretty full-on cyclist and don't have much body fat.

Brrrr not for me! I'm in full winter get up! But I would add that I'm a pretty full-on cyclist and don't have much body fat.

Haha I never feel cold during the day, however had to slap on a whole lot of sunscreen on this weekend as was out at the Teneriffe festival all day and it must have been about atleast 25degrees and cloudless

Haha I never feel cold during the day, however had to slap on a whole lot of sunscreen on this weekend as was out at the Teneriffe festival all day and it must have been about atleast 25degrees and cloudless

Oh I agree with the sunscreen, I still apply that to face and any flesh showing - the sun is savage here whatever time of year.

We're thinking of doing a couple of trips to brissy to check it out, when would be the two extremes weather wise; would it be now and January??

No extremes! just beautiful one day perfect the next, then it improves.:smile: so does not matter when you come, you will always be welcome too.

No extremes! just beautiful one day perfect the next, then it improves.:smile: so does not matter when you come, you will always be welcome too.

Wow, that's enough to make anyone move!! That's it, decision made our bags are packed!!

Archived