Sister in Law sponsership to Australia

ccc812

Hi Forum,

I need some advice on my options in my quest to emigrate to Australia.

My sister in law is a Australia citizen, can she sponser me to live/work in Australia without getting to the 60 points needed to apply in my own right. My wife's skill is not on the sol list but its her blood relative.

Unfortunately i'm 10 points shy of the 50 required to apply in my own right and get either state sponsorship or family to make up the last 10 points.

My best score in the IETLS is a average of 7.5, only failing on one subject. so I only had competent English with no points awarded. This is the only way I can improve my score, but it looks unlikely to be honest.

My skill is on the SOL list.

I know there have been some changes from the 2nd June 2014 from the Austrailan immigration department.

Is there any hope without the 60 points.

Thanks.

Most people with practice can get IELTS band 8's. It may be that you need to buy more materials, do lots of practice and even hire a tutor to help you, but if you are a native Englishman I am sure you can achieve it. Most people would need IELTS points to help them.

Personally, I doubt your sister in law can sponsor you in your situation, but I'm not an expert - others will be along to advise you shortly. I do however, think you need to rethink your strategy on IELTS.

can she sponser me to live/work in Australia

Possibly, but only into a 'designated area' and only for a provisional (temporary) visa in the first instance.

You might be better off throwing another bone to you know who.

Hi Forum,

I need some advice on my options in my quest to emigrate to Australia.

My sister in law is a Australia citizen, can she sponser me to live/work in Australia without getting to the 60 points needed to apply in my own right. My wife's skill is not on the sol list but its her blood relative.

Unfortunately i'm 10 points shy of the 50 required to apply in my own right and get either state sponsorship or family to make up the last 10 points.

My best score in the IETLS is a average of 7.5, only failing on one subject. so I only had competent English with no points awarded. This is the only way I can improve my score, but it looks unlikely to be honest.

My skill is on the SOL list.

I know there have been some changes from the 2nd June 2014 from the Austrailan immigration department.

Is there any hope without the 60 points.

Thanks.

Re IELTS - read through the following thread for inspiration. Leey managed it and so can you!

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/204946-ielts-band-8-too-hard-iam-tradesman-my-skills-my-hands.html

Your SIL can only sponsor you if she lives in a designated area so NOT Brisbane, Sydney, Newcastle or Wollongong - anywhere else is OK. It's only a provisional visa though so much better to stick at getting the IELTS you need for a 189.

Mid-coast is out.

Really? I know the .immi website isn't guaranteed 100% accurate, but I thought it would have been accurate on something like that. I guess I should have checked the actual postcodes. It says "Post areas 2311-2312, 2328-2333, 2336-2490, 2535-2551, 2575-2739, 2787-2898 (anywhere except Sydney, Newcastle and Wollongong)".

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/designated-areas.htm Designated areas

Really? I know the .immi website isn't guaranteed 100% accurate, but I thought it would have been accurate on something like that. I guess I should have checked the actual postcodes. It says "Post areas 2311-2312, 2328-2333, 2336-2490, 2535-2551, 2575-2739, 2787-2898 (anywhere except Sydney, Newcastle and Wollongong)".

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/designated-areas.htm Designated areas

The post codes are correct, but anywhere except Sydney, Newcastle and Wollongong is wrong.

My Sister and BIL wanted to emigrate. Us living here didn't help them one bit, he's in the police force so tried to apply direct to them. At the time WA weren't recruiting so they applied to SA. They got through to a talk at the embassy and thought they were going to be in. It cost them a lot of money for interviews, tests, medicals, trips to and from London. In the end they got put in a "pool" and never heard anything else. That was a few years ago and they have given up on the dream.

I think there were 50 places going in to SA and there were over 500 applicants.

When I looked at immigration dept website for the list of relatives who can sponsor, then I found out the following:

The relative or the relative’s partner you want to sponsor must be your:

• child or stepchild
  • parent or step-parent
  • brother, sister, adoptive brother, adoptive sister, stepbrother, step sister, niece, nephew, adoptive niece, adoptive nephew, step niece, step nephew, aunt, uncle, adoptive aunt, adoptive uncle
  • grandparent or first cousin.

Your sponsor should provide certain documents as listed in the document checklist

Where in this it states that you can sponsor your sister in law or brother in law? Can anyone clarify?

When I looked at immigration dept website for the list of relatives who can sponsor, then I found out the following:

• child or stepchild

• parent or step-parent

• brother, sister, adoptive brother, adoptive sister, stepbrother, step sister, niece, nephew, adoptive niece, adoptive nephew, step niece, step nephew, aunt, uncle, adoptive aunt, adoptive uncle

Your sponsor should provide certain documents as listed in the document checklist

Where in this it states that you can sponsor your sister in law or brother in law? Can anyone clarify?

You can sponsor someone if either the person being sponsored or their partner is your sibling. If you are sponsoring your sibling's partner, you are sponsoring your brother in law or sister in law.

• child or stepchild

• parent or step-parent

You should read the applicable regulations, not DIBP commentary on them, which is often simplistic, misleading and sometimes wrong.

Here is an an edited extract from the applicable regulations:

(3) The Minister has accepted the sponsorship of the applicant by a person in the following circumstances:

(a) the person has turned 18; and

(b) the person is an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen;

© the person is usually resident in a designated area of Australia;

(d) the person is related to the applicant, or the applicant’s spouse or de facto partner (if the applicant’s spouse or de facto partner is an applicant for a visa), as:

(i) a parent; or

(ii) a child or step-child; or

(iii) a brother, sister, adoptive brother, adoptive sister, step-brother or step-sister; or

(iv) an aunt, uncle, adoptive aunt, adoptive uncle, step-aunt or step-uncle;

(v) a nephew, niece, adoptive nephew, adoptive niece, step-nephew or step-niece; or

(vi) a grandparent; or

(vii) a first cousin;

(e) each member of the family unit of the applicant who is an applicant for a visa is sponsored by that person.

May I suggest that anyone considering a skilled visa application would be well advised to consult a registered migration agent for written advice about visa prospects?

Archived