Am I on to a Darwinner?

Austrial

Hi, I have never been to Australia. I have taken up a job in Darwin and hope to be there this August. I have read a lot about NT and Darwin on the net, and like any other place, there are mixed reviews. However, the consensus seems to be: friendly people, cosmopolitain community, wonderful outdoors, extreme weather (dry or wet) and soberingly expensive. Is it Australia's Angel of the North? Am I on to a Darwinner? Thanks for your comments, tips and thoughts.

Hi Austrial, Darwin is very expensive - I don't have much experience of living in the other cities other than as a backpacker so didn't have real bills to pay but Darwin seems very expensive. In terms of living here its an amazing place to live. The wet season is a bit tough (although we were fine for our first one) - but the dry season is amazing and there is loads going on. It also has a real holiday feel about it and there are loads of outdoor activities like hiking, camping, fishing if that's what your into!

Depends what your salary is going to be and where you are planning to live. There are some big salaries up there with the Oil and Gas Ichthys/Inpex project in Darwin. I wouldn't want to be living far out of the City of Darwin. There are some great spots round there with plenty to do, move out to the suburbs and there doesn't seem to be much going on. Palmerston for example, has nothing going for it IMO. Too far out of the City, not near the Coast, no views, nothing much to do.

If you could afford to live closer to Darwin so it didn't cost a fortune in taxi fare to get there, or alternatively live in one of the many new apartment blocks round the harbour or Callum Bay and it could be beautiful.

Depends what your salary is going to be and where you are planning to live. There are some big salaries up there with the Oil and Gas Ichthys/Inpex project in Darwin. I wouldn't want to be living far out of the City of Darwin. There are some great spots round there with plenty to do, move out to the suburbs and there doesn't seem to be much going on. Palmerston for example, has nothing going for it IMO. Too far out of the City, not near the Coast, no views, nothing much to do.

If you could afford to live closer to Darwin so it didn't cost a fortune in taxi fare to get there, or alternatively live in one of the many new apartment blocks round the harbour or Callum Bay and it could be beautiful.

Wassat?? A beaut golly course and all the dams contain barramundi...:wink:

Cullen Bay...Beaut area, too.

Cheers, Bobj.

Thanks Sazm, Paul and Bob...one thing for sure, compared to UK I hope to be spending much more time outdoors. My Santa list is getting longer...camping gear, 4wd, golf kit...ouch who just knocked me on the head? ..she replied..your golfing widow NOT! Lol

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am currently in for a job on the Darwin LNG plant (Conocophillips) and have been researching areas to live. I thought Palmerston would be good for the commute but wondered just how long a drive it would be from Darwin itself, and from Palmerston suburbs? Any other good areas to live with rough commute times there would be useful too.

Cheers

Hi, I am currently in for a job on the Darwin LNG plant (Conocophillips) and have been researching areas to live. I thought Palmerston would be good for the commute but wondered just how long a drive it would be from Darwin itself, and from Palmerston suburbs? Any other good areas to live with rough commute times there would be useful too.

Cheers

I think that LNG plant is on Wickham Point. It would be closer from Palmerston, maybe 20 minutes drive? I still think it would be worth the extra 30 minutes to get closer to Darwin or one of the nicer suburbs. It's not like driving in big cities, not that busy and there are really only 2 roads in and out of Darwin, Stuart Highway and Tiger Brennan drive. They have spent a lot of money on Tiger Brennan and it's a good dual carriageway now. Driving is not that stressful up there. We work out close to Palmerston when we go up there on work trips but always stay in the City, usually at the Hilton (used to be Holiday Inn) as it's the only place in town with a 25m pool. We wouldn't dream of staying out near Palmerston.

I think that LNG plant is on Wickham Point. It would be closer from Palmerston, maybe 20 minutes drive? I still think it would be worth the extra 30 minutes to get closer to Darwin or one of the nicer suburbs. It's not like driving in big cities, not that busy and there are really only 2 roads in and out of Darwin, Stuart Highway and Tiger Brennan drive. They have spent a lot of money on Tiger Brennan and it's a good dual carriageway now. Driving is not that stressful up there. We work out close to Palmerston when we go up there on work trips but always stay in the City, usually at the Hilton (used to be Holiday Inn) as it's the only place in town with a 25m pool. We wouldn't dream of staying out near Palmerston.

Hi, my hubby works at the Inpex plant at Blayden Point. We live in the northern suburbs (Leanyer) and it's about a 40 min drive easy out there.