IELTS this Saturday in Manchester nay tips welcome please:-)

manchester lass

Take a bottle of water, pens, pencils and a eraser in a clear pencil case or bag! Always better with your own than what they provide! And try to relax, don't worry about speaking at all if your a native you'll be fine, listening is ok too, just really focus! Reading and writing are more difficult, but take a deep breath and don't rush into it! It really isn't that bad.

Good luck [emoji2] x

I sat mine at Manchester...it was fine. Lots of people organised into different classrooms. Very well organised which helped me relax, and i was chatting to a couple of people who were also sitting the tests and that was nice and helped my nerves too.

Take snacks in your bag and a good book cos there might be a gap between your written, reading listening tests and the speaking test. Good luck and try not to be too nervous its not all as scary as i'd led myself to believe!

1. Make sure you know the format of the tests and what they are looking for from the examples they give you to download.

2. Prepare to be bored, there is a lot of waiting around.

3. Assuming it's the same people as when I did mine in Manchester last September, they are nice enough.

4. Make sure you take water in with you.

5. Don't do it hungover like I did.

I did mine at Manchester. They provide all the writing materials. Have a good breakfast and definately a water bottle. Agree with geordiegirl....speaking and listening fine. Reading and writing require practice and preparation of the format. Good luck.

Had my IELTS academic test today. The examiners were absolutely lovely. It was a bit full on for the first bit; listening, reading, and then writing all straight after each other. I can get my mark online in 2 weeks fingers crossed I don't need to resit it, although i think i did slip up in the speaking because I was so nervous eek! Thanks everyone for your support. :-) fingers crossed .... Brisbane here we come ;-)

Awe I hope you pass, I did my second test in Leeds on Thursday 19th, yet again I dont feel confident with the reading section, I totally hate the True/False/Not given questions, if Ive failed it;ll be because of them :frown:. I preferred Leeds, far more organised, 104 sat the test and we went through to sit down effortlessly, all in the same room, the room wasny stuffy, downside you couldnt stay in the building at all after the morning session so you had to leave and come back later which wasnt too bad, only a 15 minute walk into the city centre, nice bit of lunch and then a stroll back.

I had no idea whereabouts in Leeds I was and only had 30 minutes to wait for my speaking test so I ended up going to the offie down the road from the test centre and eating my lunch sat on the pavement, I probably looked like an absolute nutter.

I agree about the organisation though - everyone was friendly and it ran smoothly.

Fingers are crossed for your results too!

I had no idea whereabouts in Leeds I was and only had 30 minutes to wait for my speaking test so I ended up going to the offie down the road from the test centre and eating my lunch sat on the pavement, I probably looked like an absolute nutter.

I agree about the organisation though - everyone was friendly and it ran smoothly.

Fingers are crossed for your results too!

I had a 4 hour wait !!! I was with a friend who Id previously met at the Manchester one, she was before me so I too was sat on the kerb for a couple of hours lol Sounds like you did better than I did with the reading. I was totally fine with everything else, so annoying

• 2 weeks later...

Got my results today - Reading 9.0, Listening 9.0, Writing 8.0 and Speaking 8.0.

Pretty chuffed, especially considering I thought I had messed up the Writing by going on a semi-rant and not answering the question and buggered up the Speaking by only talking for a minute in the 2 minute section. Think I pulled it back at the end because the Speaking test questions were helpfully related to my degree and job.

Sorry to hear that Cherries! Think the Reading one is something you can practice with, though.

Biggest tip for Reading and Listening if you're struggling is to relax - all the answers are there even if the topic is something new. Just absorb the whole section before committing to an answer because they tend to back-track and try and trip you up.

Archived