457 health insurance

bluepope

We're in the process of sorting health insurance for our 457 visa. I'm really unsure what cover to go for as I've read some just go for basic holiday insurance, some just the extras like dental (which I know I am going to go for), some for the basic private insurance and some for the whole lot!!

I know it's a personal thing but for us, family of 4 (2 boys 10 & 13), I'm thinking along the lines of very basic hospital cover (or none at all?) and the extras like dental & glasses?

I'm assuming you can cancel or upgrade later? We're aiming to be in Melbourne in September so don't want to delay this any more than I need to!

I don't believe you can get holiday insurance due to not having a return date, therefore your insurance should you need to claim could end up void.

We have taken out basic cover with HIF, they had what looks like good cover for a reasonable price.

Hope that's helped a little.

We took out cover from IMAN - it says on their site that they comply with 457 visas.

I know some people do cancel the insurance after the visa has been granted but on our policy confirmation letter it stated this:

This letter can be provided to DIBP, or your Sponsor/Employer/Agent, as part of the application process as evidence of the required health plan membership. By doing so, you are also agreeing that we may notify DIBP and your Sponsor/Employer/Agent if you cancel your IMAN policy, or if your IMAN policy is terminated.

So it will be at your risk if you choose to cancel and are not fully covered as a result.

Hope this helps.

Our annual travel insurance was fine to cover us til we got reciprocal Medicare cover sorted. I think it was good for the first week of a one-way trip, which was long enough. Post office does one-way insurance to cover for the first however-long - at least it did a couple of years ago.

Our annual travel insurance was fine to cover us til we got reciprocal Medicare cover sorted. I think it was good for the first week of a one-way trip, which was long enough. Post office does one-way insurance to cover for the first however-long - at least it did a couple of years ago.

Our annual travel insurance policy with Barclays was not sufficient to satisfy the visa criteria, the policy is also void if the return is after 31 days and is void if your travel plans imply that you are not coming back any time soon.

For anyone else out there, be careful if you use travel insurance as a box ticking exercise, you may come unstuck!

Edited by ToowoombaBlue

Hi Bluepope,

What you require is health insurance that meets condition 8501.

Basic holiday insurance doesn't meet this requirement and while I have heard one or two doing it in the past, its highly risky as it doesn't meet the DIBP requirements.

There are five main funds (such as HIF that BestyBlue discussed in this forum) that are compliance with the 457 visa and you should consider.

Two elements to consider:

1) There are waiting periods when it comes to health insurance in Australia. This means that if you for example take up extra's (eg Dental) which you are considering, then you will need to wait a period before you can see a dentist or get a dental procedure (major dental). This can range from 2 months to 12 months and is normally the same across the funds. If your stay is not planned to be long it may be worth not getting extra's cover. If on the other hand you plan to work/stay in Australia for a while, it may be worth getting started with these waiting periods so you can claim later for the family.

2) Health Insurance in Australia is highly regulated. This means that its easy to change from one health fund to another without penalties (or restarting waiting periods). This means its easy to switch from one policy (or fund to another).

I made a comparison site that has all the 457 visa health funds if you Google "457 visa compared" but otherwise you can just Google "457 health insurance" and see some of the main players.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
We're in the process of sorting health insurance for our 457 visa. I'm really unsure what cover to go for as I've read some just go for basic holiday insurance, some just the extras like dental (which I know I am going to go for), some for the basic private insurance and some for the whole lot!!

I know it's a personal thing but for us, family of 4 (2 boys 10 & 13), I'm thinking along the lines of very basic hospital cover (or none at all?) and the extras like dental & glasses?

I'm assuming you can cancel or upgrade later? We're aiming to be in Melbourne in September so don't want to delay this any more than I need to!

We (2 adults 2 children) have taken out BUPA Australia Essentials Plus visitor cover, it meets the 457 visa requirement, as does their Essentials package. As has already been said, I don't think holiday cover will meet 457 visa conditions. As we are used to the NHS in the UK this premium really hurts, Ouch! Can't go to the docs for this as it would be a pre-existing condition;)

We decided to carry on with our health insurance & im glad we did as I was referred to see a urologist & basically im still waiting for an appointment months after my GP marked my referral as urgent with the public system. We used the health insurance & had the surgery done quickly & they met all the hospital costs. Medicare will only cover you for the public hospital fees & not privately. Im sure there are loads of others who've used the public system & been very satisfied with it but for me I never got to compare it as I never got my urgent appointment! !

• 3 weeks later...

IMAN advertise on this site, we use them, but don't have the extras. I am pretty sure that I worked out you will only get out what you put in, which makes it a payment plan, not a real insurance. (I am talking about the extras).

In my opinion the overall health system here is infinitely superior to the UK system.

• 2 weeks later...

Be careful when choosing! I signed up with the Overseas Health Cover with HIF. I have been with it for a year and have just found out (after the tax year) that as a UK resident with reciprocal Medicare cover it doesn't entitle me to the Medicare Levy tax entitlement. I have now changed over to a domestic health insurance product. So sign up with what you need to for your visa and then look into the tax implications so you don't get shafted!

My husband and I are about to have our 457 granted (well, at least I hope so - Immi just asked us for Health Insurance evidence) and after an exhaustive research I think we'll go for IMAN. It's clear we need to choose a provider that meets the 457 VISA requirements and there are no many great options. Medibank and BUPA are a way too expensive, Australian Unit didn't catch my attention... between HIF and IMAN I believe IMAN is better as they have no hospital excess on their Basic plan.

I'm applying for IMAN right now but here says I do have to make first payment... what if our VISA is not granted? Do they give me my money back? Not sure if there is any other way to proceed, like requiring a letter from IMAN saying we made arrangements and pay only if 457 is approved. Appreciate any help :)

Be careful when choosing! I signed up with the Overseas Health Cover with HIF. I have been with it for a year and have just found out (after the tax year) that as a UK resident with reciprocal Medicare cover it doesn't entitle me to the Medicare Levy tax entitlement. I have now changed over to a domestic health insurance product. So sign up with what you need to for your visa and then look into the tax implications so you don't get shafted!

Found it on Medibank Website (http://www.medibank.com.au/Visitors-Cover/Further-Information.aspx#outofpocket)

"About the Medicare Levy Surcharge

If you're an Australian resident for taxation purposes you may be required to pay the Medicare Levy and the Medicare Levy Surcharge (MLS). None of the Visitors Health Insurance covers or Working Visa Health Insurance covers will exempt you from the Medicare Levy Surcharge. For more information on the MLS, please contact the Australian Taxation Office on 132 861, or visit ato.gov.au"

I am pretty sure IMAN would refund you under the circumstances that you outline.

What I did was to take travel insurance for one month, once I had my visa granted, then dovetail plan with IMAN.

I did not take the extras, it takes quite a bit of working out, but whereas the main policy is a genuine insurance, that covers a large unexpected medical bill, certainly the dental policy cover is more akin to a payment plan, similar to Denplan in the UK.

i would advise that you see a dentist in the UK before you come, and if I was you I would avoid the NHS, and get all your treatment done, include X Rays. I have just had a check up, scale and polish, 2 bite wings, and 2 occlusal composites for $530. This is comparable with private practices in the UK, but many practices here are full, and not taking on new patients.

Overall, the health system here is so superior to the NHS you wouldn't believe it.

Good luck anyway.

We took out Bupa visitors cover plus extras... And have been happily paying that for the last three years thinking we were paying for private hospital insurance. However, I've just been referred for a procedure which Medicare say isn't covered under the reciprocal agreement. Called Bupa only to find out that the visitors cover basically tops up the limited cover you get under the reciprocal agreement to the 'normal' residents Medicare cover. I can get the op through Bupa but it must be on the public system.

Also, when you are on a 457 as soon as you apply for PR you can request a new 'interim' Medicare card which gives you the full residents level of Medicare cover rather than the reciprocal visitors cover.

Iv had to take out insurance for my 457 and I took the 457 bupa insurance. Worked out at just under $100 and that was the full cover. My agent told me that travel insurance wouldn't cover me. I did check with immi and constulted this board and was advised that travel insurance would cover. The reason I chose the bupa was to cover all aspects that my case officer would be looking for. I didn't want to have something like that have be turned down because of a case officers decision. Once I arrive I'll be signing up for Medicare but keeping the private insurance. I've had to use insurance for emergency medical surgery and I wouldn't want to be caught out and not have medicare cover it!

I havnt read anything about a refund being given if my visa isn't granted and iv paid 3 months of it so far!

We took out Bupa visitors cover plus extras... And have been happily paying that for the last three years thinking we were paying for private hospital insurance. However, I've just been referred for a procedure which Medicare say isn't covered under the reciprocal agreement. Called Bupa only to find out that the visitors cover basically tops up the limited cover you get under the reciprocal agreement to the 'normal' residents Medicare cover. I can get the op through Bupa but it must be on the public system.

Also, when you are on a 457 as soon as you apply for PR you can request a new 'interim' Medicare card which gives you the full residents level of Medicare cover rather than the reciprocal visitors cover.

Hi Jj, I have taken out Visitor Essential Plus with BUPA Australia too (with reciprocal cover to waive Medicare Levy Surcharge). I was told that apart from pre-existing or maternity or psychiatric or cosmetic related treatment, I would be fully covered (like Australian citizens) for treatment under medi-care. I also had got the impression that we could choose our doctor and hospital and that BUPA would cover fees up to a tariff agreed for same treatment under Medi-care. So I am a little confused why they did not give the choice of private treatment with the option of you topping any excess if required in the private sector. Maybe I have misunderstood your above situation. Please clarify. Thanks for your advice.

Hi Jj, I have taken out Visitor Essential Plus with BUPA Australia too (with reciprocal cover to waive Medicare Levy Surcharge). I was told that apart from pre-existing or maternity or psychiatric or cosmetic related treatment, I would be fully covered (like Australian citizens) for treatment under medi-care. I also had got the impression that we could choose our doctor and hospital and that BUPA would cover fees up to a tariff agreed for same treatment under Medi-care. So I am a little confused why they did not give the choice of private treatment with the option of you topping any excess if required in the private sector. Maybe I have misunderstood your above situation. Please clarify. Thanks for your advice.

Sorry for the confusion, I should have said that we took out the Bupa Classic Visitors Cover plus extras.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys once you get PR compare your health insurance 457 cover is not the best value for money none biased comparisons are the way to go & the staff explain & understand Medicare levy LHC government rebates etc it's tricky business with many variables but if you do it right you can be better off

Edited by The Pom Queen
Unauthorised advertising