Wave Goodbye to Paywave?

The Fisheys

It's pretty worrying, I just read up about my card because it concerned me and seems the bank will refund fraudulent transactions: http://www.nab.com.au/personal/credit-cards/nab-visa-paywave/security

In the uk I had to make a few claims on credit cards, twice for fraud and once for a company who went bankrupt before delivery. No problems getting those sorted, the banks seem to accept it as normal.

That being said I use a top up cash card for internet transactions and iTunes cards for the apple store to limit the damage (the latter more to prevent the kids accidentally running up big in app purchase bills)

Those top up credit cards are fine ..... we used them when we were on holidays, we have a Qantas card which accumulates points ..... and I know I should take the time to transfer funds to that account and use for online purchases, its much safer, the only thing with the card we have is it takes a few days for it to arrive, if it was quicker it would be my preferred method of purchases.

I am wanting to purchase some wall art online, but am scared after what happened with the card, I have got my replacement card, but haven't used it yet, I ordered some stock in the week and paid via bank transfers, it takes a bit longer, but it felt more secure.

The iTunes card is a brilliant idea with children especially, its amazing how easy it is to spend money on iTunes, not that we do it, we buy TV shows at $3.49 a pop and they do mount up pretty quickly if your not careful, but we are .....

It's not called paywave over there, it's something else but you basically wave your card around and the money is taken by magic. However, only for purchases up to £10 I think. I know that the fast food chains offer this waving thing but only for small items such as one meal, coffees, etc.

My son lives in the UK still and he said he has a thing on his phone, an App or a Chip, not too sure, but he said it acts just like a credit/debit card, now for me that's scary ...... I think I will stick to my cards ....... not too sure though, if what you've said applies, I.e., small purchases, (on his phone thing) I must remember to ask him when we next speak .....

If you worry about pay wave, then worry about people who walk around with machines that can read our cards without us knowing, I could count on one hand how many times anyone ever challenged my signature in fact most assistants just gave it such a cursory glance they could not possibly have checked it. Pins well people write them down as we have so many these days. Unless people have the same one for the whole lot and that gives all the cards to a thief if wallet is stolen.

I continue to use pay wave, internet banking etc as its very convenient. I just have to be vigilant in checking my accounts and know where my wallet is at all times.

People who steal are becoming more and more sophisticated and will continue to find ways to take our money.

I do not use ATM's unless I really have to, get my cash from the shop or supermarket.

It's not called paywave over there, it's something else but you basically wave your card around and the money is taken by magic. However, only for purchases up to £10 I think. I know that the fast food chains offer this waving thing but only for small items such as one meal, coffees, etc.

Yeah it's 'contactless'. Funnily enough I saw a sign for it earlier somewhere (might have been maccy D's) and hubby and I had that whole 'we'll stick to chip and pin' conversation.

Well whatever it is called, you can't get rid of it, according to my bank there is not an option to not have it on your card this is as dictated by Visa/MasterCard. Also I don't like the no pin needed for under $35 either, suppose I could get all my money back every time the wife uses the card without authorization from me! Power at last!:wink:

If you worry about pay wave, then worry about people who walk around with machines that can read our cards without us knowing, I could count on one hand how many times anyone ever challenged my signature in fact most assistants just gave it such a cursory glance they could not possibly have checked it. Pins well people write them down as we have so many these days. Unless people have the same one for the whole lot and that gives all the cards to a thief if wallet is stolen.

I continue to use pay wave, internet banking etc as its very convenient. I just have to be vigilant in checking my accounts and know where my wallet is at all times.

People who steal are becoming more and more sophisticated and will continue to find ways to take our money.

I do not use ATM's unless I really have to, get my cash from the shop or supermarket.

Paywave ve and people walking around with machines is exactly the same thing, because that's how they get the details,

Archived