Is NEBOSH respected down under??

Hello

Im looking at moving to Australia in the future on my Painting and Decorating NVQ3.

I have passed my NEBOSH General Certification and wish to do my NEBOSH Diploma.

Is the Nebosh Diploma a respected qualification in Australia?

I ask as a lot of job advertisements Ive seen ask for a degree.

As I will be on a skilled visa for my NVQ3 I will have to stick with Painting for now so wont have any experience in OHS, will it be hard to find a job in OHS once in Australia with no experience?

I was hoping I could get a training role and would like to work in the Pilbara.

Any help that anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

James

Based on what's been written here generally no one knows what NEBOSH is over here. You might find that training providers will RPL it into some form of certificate, but you'd be best off asking them directly.

Safety people generally need at least a diploma plus a trainer assessor ticket (some want Cert 4, others want a degree).

If you're aiming for Pilbara are you after mining work? In QLD mining legilsation is completely seperate to "civilian" OHS and qualifications gained in one field aren't usually transferrable to the other. I believe WA has unified legislation with mining being a seperate area within general OHS, but there are noises to try and get it all tied in across the country, so whether it means they combine it, or seperate it out I can't say.

Hello Eera

Thanks for the response! Ive found out there is a International Diploma I can do so I just need to find out how it transfers!

Good ideas I will contact the training providers and see what they come back with and look into this trainer assessor ticket.

Yes I would be aiming for mining work, I see so I my have to do some specific mining certifications.

Thanks for the help. think Ill go ahead and start the Diploma. Id prefere to do this than Painting in forty degree heat!

Kind Regards

James

Employers looking to recruit to Health and Safety positions will generally require the Certificate IV in Work Health and Safety, NEBOSH in my experience has no relevance here.

Personally, I would study this specific qualification once in Australia and at a reputable training organisation.

If I were you I'd be looking into getting cert IV in both OHS and Training &Assesment. I did cert IV OHS a few years ago purely out of personal interest, to add another string to my bow. A lot of people on my course were doing both course side by side with a view to moving into OHS roles; there seemed to be an acceptance that both certificates were expected for decent jobs in OHS.

Hey guys!

Thanks for the responses! It looks like you all have saved me a lot of time, money and effort! I am going to look into the Cert IV in OHS and Training and Assessment.

The process for me coming over will take a year so I am considering starting the courses long distance.

Once I have gained these qualifications do you think it will be hard to find a job with no experience in the role? I read there was a big demand for OHS officers in Australia so was hoping on gaining a start? Id consider any role no matter how remote!

Kind Regards

James

There are core "practical" elements of the courses, so not sure if that is do-able long-distance (mainly practical elements around delivery of training elements, slideshows, presentations of OHS policies, stakeholder consultation etc etc). Prob best to get in touch with several Tafe's or training providers to see just what can be done from afar.

As above. You're expected to demonstrate application of the legislation in your workplace. If you're not working in Australia you can't do that.

Also be aware that there's been a few overseas trainers who give Aus qualifications, but are themselves not recognised organisations in Australia, so the qualification is not valid. Check with any company that they a legitimate trainer under the Australian Qualifications Framework, they will have a trainer number which you can check with the government website if they are.

I seriously doubt you'd get a job as a mining OHS person with no experience in the field. Mining is much more intense than construction in terms of its requirements. Can't speak for WA, but here, under Workplace OHS laws the company is liable for any OHS related prosecution, under Mining legislation, the individual is held responsible. Basically if things go wrong under your watch, you are going to jail - not something I'd care to have hanging over me if I was shiny and new in the field.

Your plans a good, but probably won't come off short-term, treat them as a long term goal to work towards and you'll succeed.

In my experience having a Cert IV in Training and Assessment will not assist you in gaining an OHS role. The two qualifications are different skill sets and it depends if you actual have an interest in training and assessment and want to work in that area whether it will be a worthwhile investment. Out of interest I had a look on seek and the jobs in OHS/WHS in Adelaide and then in Perth, not one mentioned the requirement to have the Cert IV in Training and Assessment. What they mostly did require was extensive work experience and OHS qualifications. Have a look on seek.com.au to get a feel for what employers are looking for.

As Eera mentions it would be very difficult to gain an OHS position without any Australian experience and I agree it would be something to build up to by initially being a safety rep at work or sitting on the OHS committee etc and building on that knowledge. I know of OHS guys in Adelaide that are struggling to secure work, there are plenty of OHS people to choose from.

Hello all :)

Thanks for your contribution, it seems my plan is going to have to take to the back burner for now. Not to worry as I have a genuine interest in OHS and will strive to achieve my goal once I arrive in Australia!

Again thank you for your knowledge.

Kind Regards

James

Hi mate,

I am a plasterer by trade but now work in safety here in sydney.

I decided on a change and did a cert iv then the diploma. I am yet to complete the training and assessment but it is certainly a must do for someone looking to work in safety and is pretty much a prerequisite for most jobs. I am completing a lead auditor course and then the training qual.

People are right in saying you will need to have knowledge of Australian Legislation but this is something you can read up in via the safework australia website, comcare or Workcover to give you an idea at least. I had no experience in safety roles and managed to secure a job, it was entry level but you have to start somewhere. I am 33 now so plenty or years work in me yet.

I am looking to get into construction safety but it's a pretty hard market at the moment, and as yet I haven't managed. I would say get stuck into the distance learning. I don't think you can do the training course distance but you can do the cert iv and diploma. Also, there are so many Brits out here in safety that the Nebosh is known and recognised. You can also complete the Nebosh course in Perth now too.

hope this helps,

cheers,

lee

Hello all :)

Thanks for your contribution, it seems my plan is going to have to take to the back burner for now. Not to worry as I have a genuine interest in OHS and will strive to achieve my goal once I arrive in Australia!

Again thank you for your knowledge.

Kind Regards

James

I have been looking myself about the Nebosh, i will be coming out as an air conditioning engineer however i also have Nebosh Level 3 Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety, Nebosh National Certificate in Environmental Management, Nebosh National Certificate in Construction Health and Safety, Nebosh National Certificate in Fire Safety and Risk Management. I have also set up ISO9001, 14001 and 18001 at my company and was wondering if that is also a big thing in Australia or do they not care about that?

I am hoping i may get into a management role as that is what i am doing at the moment, however on some job applications on Seek it seems they want a degree for management jobs.

Sorry for the hijack but also a bit relevent to your questions :)

Archived