Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'health and safety'.

More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


  • Moving to Australia
    • Visa Chat
    • Skilled Visas
    • Family / Partner Visas
    • Temporary Visas
    • Business Skills Visas
    • Business Sponsored
    • Visitor Visas
    • Shipping and Removals
  • Life in Australia
    • Aussie Chat
    • Household
    • Renting & Real Estate
    • Money & Finance
    • Education
    • Health
    • Careers and Vacancies
    • Kids Down Under
    • Pets
    • Socialising Hobbies Clubs Sport
    • Travel
  • Australian States & Territories
    • ACT
    • New South Wales
    • Northern Territory
    • Queensland
    • South Australia
    • Tasmania
    • Victoria
    • Western Australia
  • Partner Forums
    • Money Transfer: Ask Moneycorp
    • Financial Advice: Ask Vista
    • Shipping Pets: Ask Pet Air
  • Moving to the UK
    • UK Chat
    • Education
    • Where to Live?
    • Money and Finance
  • PomsInOz Specific
    • Chewing the fat


  • Migration
  • Living in Australia
  • Jobs and Careers
  • Moving to Australia Real Life Stories
  • Money and Finance
  • Transport
  • Where to live in Australia?
    • Victoria
    • Queensland
    • New South Wales
    • Tasmania
    • Western Australia
    • South Australia
  • Backpacking
  • News
  • Forum Help


There are no results to display.

There are no results to display.

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

  • Start


Last Updated

  • Start


Filter by number of...


  • Start



Found 6 results

  1. Hello Im looking at moving to Australia in the future on my Painting and Decorating NVQ3. I have passed my NEBOSH General Certification and wish to do my NEBOSH Diploma. Is the Nebosh Diploma a respected qualification in Australia? I ask as a lot of job advertisements Ive seen ask for a degree. As I will be on a skilled visa for my NVQ3 I will have to stick with Painting for now so wont have any experience in OHS, will it be hard to find a job in OHS once in Australia with no experience? I was hoping I could get a training role and would like to work in the Pilbara. Any help that anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated. Kind Regards, James
  2. Hello to all :biggrin: Having recently spent two years on a working holiday visa in Australia, I have decided I want to move to Ozzy for good! I am a NVQ3 qualified Painter and Decorator, so will be applying for my visa with this. I wont be arriving in Australia for a couple of years so I have decided to train again (this is where I need help!) I have two options, firstly i have been accepted into college to do an HNC in construction and i have also completed my General certificate in Health and safety. The HNC will allow me to get in to Quantity Surveying and Project Management. The Diploma, a Health and Safety Advisor. I wont have time to study for both so what I need to know is what is going to be of more advantage in terms of salary, job availability, career progression once in Australia?? Is the HNC recognised for Q.S roles? As I will be emigrating on my NVQ3 I will have to keep Painting so will not have experience in either of these occupations until I make the move. I have experience working in the Pilbra and would like to get back into FIFO work with one of these occupations. I am quite happy to work regional if it means gaining experience in my new occupation. Any help will be greatly appreciated Kind Regards, James
  3. Karl Dyble

    Health and Safety

    Some hints and tips for anyone who is considering migrating as a Health and Safety professional or is currently working in that field in Australia already. The first point to note is that there is no national approach to Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) here in Australia. They recently harmonised the health and safety legislation in all of the states except Western Australia and Victoria via the introduction of the new Work Health and Safety Act 2012 (WHS Act 2012). Why didn't they adopt this in WA and Vic? The best analogy is to see WA as the USA and Vic as the UK. They have a special relationship and are often reluctant to do what everyone else is doing in Australia just as the USA does around the world and the UK does in the EU. So, this is why there is no national approach to OHS in Australia. This doesn't mean that the introduction of the new WHS Act hasn't had an impact on both WA and Vic in terms of nationally recognised Work Health and Safety courses. Why does this matter, I hear you ask. It matters because if you are considering undertaking a course of study in the field of OHS in Australia or from overseas you need to know that the old certificate IV Occupational Health and Safety and the old Diploma Occupational Health and Safety have now been superseded by the following two courses: · BSB41412 Certificate IV Work Health and Safety · BSB51312 Diploma Work Health and Safety The point of this post is to make sure that you don’t throw your money away on now defunct OHS courses. Cheers. Karl.
  4. I've been told that we have a big meeting where most of the region will be in Beijing for a meeting. While this is great and all, I've got serious concerns for health. China must be a cheap option of us to all travel there, however I am seriously concerned nobody has given people's heath consideration. If you're unfamiliar or wonder why I sound so ungrateful then checkout the Australian: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/chinese-question-official-solutions-as-pollution-returns-to-blanket-beijing/story-e6frg6so-1226560414616 So the last thing I want to do is go there and then get sick; work I enjoy but it's not something I want to get ill over! So - can I be "made" to go? My contract probably says I need to travel, as I meet customers all the time. But this is an internal "all hands" kind of thing. Advice appreciated!
  5. meaks

    White card

    Just a note to all that you can now do the white card in the UK. I am a joiner and site manager on commercial sites in the UK and after researching the Australian H&S card that is required, was relieved to find that a company called trainingstars has just started doing the course in the UK. I am writing this because I found the course very informative in teaching me the Oz terminology for many things that I know about but wouldn't have recognised because of the change in names. I also found the instructor very helpful and its a great relief to know its one less thing to have to sort when I get there. I defiantly recommend this course to anyone who may require a white card when you get to Australia.:smile:
  6. Guest

    Excited.....and scared!!

    Hi, Just joined the forum today and hoping that it will be a source of great support and information - taking a peek at some of the advice that people willingly give, I'm sure that will be the case. My husband and I would like to move to Oz in about 18 months (hopefully NSW), but I don't know what visa we would have as my skill is not on the shortage list, so I guess it would be a case of getting sponsorship. I've spoken to a couple of agents, and am looking at appointing one of them to help us through this process. It all looks like a giant obstacle course to me at the moment, and I have no idea whether we'd be successful or not. I suppose if all else fails, we would always have the option of going out on a 6 month visa, hopefully getting a job, and then trying to stay out there.....don't really want to go down that road though!! Can anyone let me have an idea of how likely I am to find a job down under? My skill is in Health and Safety - about 12 years now, and almost as qualified as you can get...not sure if that's really a viable career in Australia though.... Many thanks Carrie