Moving to Perth ,I can help.

Lisa Allison

Hi and welcome. what a kind thought. I may well be back to pick your brains as I am hoping to go to Perth myself to join my family on a contributory parent visa. I am just waiting for the two years residency to be up for my daughter and son-in-law to sponsor me. With all the changes to visas I'm hoping nothing will go wrong before I can get there permanently. Meanwhile I am making do with long visits. Perth is lovely.

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi and welcome. what a kind thought. I may well be back to pick your brains as I am hoping to go to Perth myself to join my family on a contributory parent visa. I am just waiting for the two years residency to be up for my daughter and son-in-law to sponsor me. With all the changes to visas I'm hoping nothing will go wrong before I can get there permanently. Meanwhile I am making do with long visits. Perth is lovely.

Weaver have you joined our sister forum http://www.perthpoms.com for everyone moving or living in Perth

Hey Lisa, I'll take you up on that offer to help haha.

Just wondering what the job market is like these days for recent graduates? I'm an engineer hoping to come over in a few months on a 476 Skilled Grad visa. I lived in Perth for 4 years in the past but have been back in the UK since 2010, so I feel brand new once again! :)

I'm hoping it won't take too long to find a job as the visa is only valid for 18 months (don't want to spend the whole time unemployed!), plus ideally I would like to maybe eventually get sponsored out of this situation.

I'm a Civil/Environmental Engineer. Ideally I would like to work within the mining industry (or for the mining industry through engineer consultancies), but as a recent graduate I realise I should take whatever I can get haha, so I'm not fussy!

I'm a Civil/Environmental Engineer. Ideally I would like to work within the mining industry (or for the mining industry through engineer consultancies), but as a recent graduate I realise I should take whatever I can get haha, so I'm not fussy!

Just saw on Facebook that Thiess ,Roy Hill are recruiting or try CKJV.

Be aware that mining is in strong decline here now. The unemployment rate for mining engineers is about 15%. So, any jobs that come up are going to have a lot of applicants from experienced mining staff. I am a geologist and have mates who are geo's and engineers that have been out of work for 12 months or more.

Be aware that mining is in strong decline here now. The unemployment rate for mining engineers is about 15%. So, any jobs that come up are going to have a lot of applicants from experienced mining staff. I am a geologist and have mates who are geo's and engineers that have been out of work for 12 months or more.

Oh wow, I knew it was in decline but I didn't realise it was that bad.

I'm also aware that it's generally the enviro jobs that get cut first in most industries.

Hopefully it will pick up again by the time I come early next year, otherwise I might be expanding my career as a bartender haha, which unfortunately wouldn't do my quest for eventual PR any favours.

Thanks for the info, goodluck to your mates!

Guest The Pom Queen
Oh wow, I knew it was in decline but I didn't realise it was that bad.

I'm also aware that it's generally the enviro jobs that get cut first in most industries.

Hopefully it will pick up again by the time I come early next year, otherwise I might be expanding my career as a bartender haha, which unfortunately wouldn't do my quest for eventual PR any favours.

Thanks for the info, goodluck to your mates!

You could become a chef lol plenty of work and chance of PR then :wink:

You could become a chef lol plenty of work and chance of PR then :wink:

Haha! This is definitely a possibility! However I think my family would kill me if after 5 years of uni I suddenly decide to be a chef! haha

• 2 months later...
Guest Specialk
Hi everyone,I live and work in Perth and before that I lived in nz.i left the uk 12 years ago and have never looked back.

Hi Lisa!

Im looking to move to Perth (fingers crossed!!). I have relatives living in Rockingham. I'm literally at the planning stage to see if we could do it. Feeling a bit deflated so hoping you can help in some way as like you I want to move there & never look back!

I'm a Primary Teacher with 3 years experience. However my degree was the 3 year so I'm currently looking into doing a postgraduate course so my qualifications might be recognised in WA. I am aware of the difficulties in getting a teaching job in WA (reason I'm feeling so deflated!) but that's what I'm trained in & not enough time to retrain in something else. My partner is a Finance Manager in the motor industry and had previously been a Business Manager for Mercedes. I see there is no shortage of dealerships in Perth but it's just how/if we could get him a job. He had numerous years of experience as it's all he's ever done & worked his way up. We have 2 boys aged 6 & 11 so schools are important. Someone on this forum said there are no decent schools in Rockingham (where we were looking) which is a worry and their scores seem to reflect this. Do you have children? If so can you recommend any good schools? What job of you do? Any advice on any aspect of living in Perth would be much appreciated please. ???

Hi Lisa

looking for some help, myself and boyfriend thinking of going to perth. Getting recommended by a friend out their for a years work visa, I am beautician and boyfriend would be going for the mines for work.

We have never been to Australia so unsure really if Perth is the right place for us.

Is their anywhere in particular that you would recommend. We are both 25 x

First, hi and welcome.

First, may I suggest you consider a look at the sister site which is just for Perth called Perth Poms.

I am guessing you are asking about where to live? That would depend on what you want. Close to beach? In the city? In the middle of the nightlife? Budget?

Just one thing, do not rely on getting into mining. There are a lot of unemployed miners looking for work.

Thanks for your welcome. What is the sister site called?

I know I have heard of the mining just now. We won't be looking to go for a year and a bit until we have al funds saved.

Yeah like we dont want to be totally isolated as we are from a lively city glasgow in Scotland. But think it would be lovely being reletivley close by to beach for days off.

Archived