489 Visa?

Hi,

I was looking at australian immi site re the 189 PR visa. If my partner does not get a positive skills assessment then we will only have 55 points instead of the 60 we need, so I was looking at alternatives... I have two aunts whom are australian citizens in WA and they told me that they would sponsor me and my family, now from what I can see the 489 provisional visa with my aunt's sponsorship would give us over the 60 points as we would be awarded 10 points for their sponsorship. Does anyone have much experience with this visa? Obviously I would prefer PR but not sure that it is going to be an option straight away, I also read there is a possibility of applying for PR visa after two years on a 489. I have a three year old and I guess my biggest concern would be his education.Will this visa require me to pay international fees for his schooling? Sorry this is a complete minefield!!

Kirsty xxx

Hi,

I was looking at australian immi site re the 189 PR visa. If my partner does not get a positive skills assessment then we will only have 55 points instead of the 60 we need, so I was looking at alternatives... I have two aunts whom are australian citizens in WA and they told me that they would sponsor me and my family, now from what I can see the 489 provisional visa with my aunt's sponsorship would give us over the 60 points as we would be awarded 10 points for their sponsorship. Does anyone have much experience with this visa? Obviously I would prefer PR but not sure that it is going to be an option straight away, I also read there is a possibility of applying for PR visa after two years on a 489. I have a three year old and I guess my biggest concern would be his education.Will this visa require me to pay international fees for his schooling? Sorry this is a complete minefield!!

Kirsty xxx

There is a flaw in your understanding here. Not passing the skills assessment has no impact on points. It is however a complete, utter show stopper for skilled migration, that is for any of the 189, 190, 489 visas.

So pass skills assessment and then aim for the 189 or 190 visas, the 489 only as a last resort. If you were on it however, then no disagree with the above, the 489 is a provisional visa and you would have to pay school fees in some states.

There is a flaw in your understanding here. Not passing the skills assessment has no impact on points. It is however a complete, utter show stopper for skilled migration, that is for any of the 189, 190, 489 visas.

So pass skills assessment and then aim for the 189 or 190 visas, the 489 only as a last resort. If you were on it however, then no disagree with the above, the 489 is a provisional visa and you would have to pay school fees inome states.

Ok I'm basing this on the hope that as a registered nurse I will get a upositive skills assessment. My husband to be is a pipefitter but we cannot appear to identify him a suitable nominated occupation that meets his trade therefore cannotorganise for him to claim points for partner skills on a 189 we can't go for 190 as I am only a year qualified and the state need me to have mote experience. At the moment if I applied for 189 Iwould need to get 20 points for ielts to make up the points to 60. As I don't have experience and my partner will not have a positive skills assessment. Sorry I'm using a phone so excuse the poor ptronounciation. And spelling. I don't think I will be able to get 20 points for ielts hence why I though a 489.might be more suitable but if you're saying that's not feasible then I have no idea what to do :(

Ok I'm basing this on the hope that as a registered nurse I will get a upositive skills assessment. My husband to be is a pipefitter but we cannot appear to identify him a suitable nominated occupation that meets his trade therefore cannotorganise for him to claim points for partner skills on a 189 we can't go for 190 as I am only a year qualified and the state need me to have mote experience. At the moment if I applied for 189 Iwould need to get 20 points for ielts to make up the points to 60. As I don't have experience and my partner will not have a positive skills assessment. Sorry I'm using a phone so excuse the poor ptronounciation. And spelling. I don't think I will be able to get 20 points for ielts hence why I though a 489.might be more suitable but if you're saying that's not feasible then I have no idea what to do :(

No I didn't say it was not feasible, not anything of the kind. :confused:

It was not clear you were talking about the second skills assessment / partner points in your first post, I thought you were asking about you partner as the main applicant (very few go for partner points) and therefore no skills assessment would have been show stopper. For good advice, need to be clear.

So I think you should try for IELTS, it is really not so hard and if you can get 7s on academic then I am sure 8s on general is easily attainable. If you are 5 points short, then got for a 190 visa, if you are 10 points short, then yes three is the 489, but use it as a last resort as it is the worst of the skilled migrant visas. Exhaust all other options first.

No I didn't say it was not feasible, not anything of the kind. :confused:

It was not clear you were talking about the second skills assessment / partner points in your first post, I thought you were asking about you partner as the main applicant (very few go for partner points) and therefore no skills assessment would have been show stopper. For good advice, need to be clear.

So I think you should try for IELTS, it is really notshard and if you can get 7s on academic then I am sure 8s on general is easily attainable. If you are 5 points short, then got for a 190 visa, if you are 10 points short, then yes three is the 489, but use it as a last resort as it is the worst of the skilled migrant visas. Exhaust all other options first.

Sorry I'm very jet lagged with a poorly 3 year old. Sorry I wasn't clear. Your sdvice has been great thsaank you x

Hi.. Im an 8 month post qualifying nurse too and my only option is the 489 visa, as Im 44 I have limited time to get everything sorted before I hit 45 (thereby losing a further 15 points after Im 45 !!)

I have to gain 20 points in the IELTS, as you can see I still dont have the required 8's in each section therefore I have to resubmit for visa purposes.

Good luck, as 489 is my ONLY path in, nothing I can do about it so whatever is thrown at us which is negative on this visa I have no option but to accept it and just get on with it.

Have you done the IELTS yet ??

Hi.. Im an 8 month post qualifying nurse too and my only option is the 489 visa, as Im 44 I have limited time to get everything sorted before I hit 45 (thereby losing a further 15 points after Im 45 !!)

I have to gain 20 points in the IELTS, as you can see I still dont have the required 8's in each section therefore I have to resubmit for visa purposes.

Good luck, as 489 is my ONLY path in, nothing I can do about it so whatever is thrown at us which is negative on this visa I have no option but to accept it and just get on with it.

Nobody is throwing anything negative at you about the visa. Simply stating that if a better visa can be obtained then it is wise to do so, if this is your only option then go for it!

Hey there! I havent done it yet but thinking of booking it. There is a space in 2 weeks time,just wondering if that will give me enough time to practice! From what Ive read it seems hard so im worried. Have you done anma skills assessment yet? Good luck

xxxx

Yeh i think 2 weeks would be ok, have a look at ielts-simon.com, i found this really useful and provides you with lots of hints and tips on what the format of the exam is like etc. I sent my ANMAC assessment off but I made the mistake of saying I had passed when in fact I hadnt got 7 in the reading, (got 6.5 :mad:), I just looked at my overall score and pressed 'send' !! , anyway, I dropped them an email saying what I had done and they came back immediately and just said as soon as they receive the IELTS pass they can finalise the application and it was not a problem (phew!!) I cant get into another one now though until the end of June.

Yeh i think 2 weeks would be ok, have a look at ielts-simon.com, i found this really useful and provides you with lots of hints and tips on what the format of the exam is like etc. I sent my ANMAC assessment off but I made the mistake of saying I had passed when in fact I hadnt got 7 in the reading, (got 6.5 :mad:), I just looked at my overall score and pressed 'send' !! , anyway, I dropped them an email saying what I had done and they came back immediately and just said as soon as they receive the IELTS pass they can finalise the application and it was not a problem (phew!!) I cant get into another one now though until the end of June.

Ah thats a shame and by such a small margin!! Thanks for the link! Thats great. Ive just realised when I booked my ielts I did not request for the results to be sent to ANMAC! Hopefully will be able to ring them tomorrow and ask if they will do it. Maybe their might be a cancellation for you and you can get in sooner. Fingers crossed! What documents did you submit for ANMAC assessment? I can find docs for modified assessment but not for the full skills assessment. Did you have to get everything certified? Such a long and complicated process! I am trying to get all docs together now so I am ready to submit it all when the time comes. I have requested verification from NMC.

Kirsty xx

Ah thats a shame and by such a small margin!! Thanks for the link! Thats great. Ive just realised when I booked my ielts I did not request for the results to be sent to ANMAC! Hopefully will be able to ring them tomorrow and ask if they will do it. Maybe their might be a cancellation for you and you can get in sooner. Fingers crossed! What documents did you submit for ANMAC assessment? I can find docs for modified assessment but not for the full skills assessment. Did you have to get everything certified? Such a long and complicated process! I am trying to get all docs together now so I am ready to submit it all when the time comes. I have requested verification from NMC.

Kirsty xx

1. NMC send the 'Verification of current registration' ring them and they will send a form for you to fill in and then return with a cheque for £34 and they forward it directly to ANMAC

2. Passport copy

3. Evidence of name change (if applicable) Marriage certificate

4. Certified photo of self

5. Copy of Graduation certificate

6. Copy of 'Statement of Entry' which you would have received upon qualifying

7. Reference from ward

8. IELTS results (sent direct)

9. Transcript of training (My university charged £25 for this and this gets sent direct to ANMAC)

I have to get these certified yet, just waiting for my reference from work which he said hes doing this weekend, the solicitor in my village has a notary who can sign these documents, charges £180 hour with a minimum of £90. Im hoping to have all these sent by the end of next week and then fingers crossed the IELTS pass sheet will follow !

Where is your exam ?

1. NMC send the 'Verification of current registration' ring them and they will send a form for you to fill in and then return with a cheque for £34 and they forward it directly to ANMAC

2. Passport copy

3. Evidence of name change (if applicable) Marriage certificate

4. Certified photo of self

5. Copy of Graduation certificate

6. Copy of 'Statement of Entry' which you would have received upon qualifying

7. Reference from ward

8. IELTS results (sent direct)

9. Transcript of training (My university charged £25 for this and this gets sent direct to ANMAC)

I have to get these certified yet, just waiting for my reference from work which he said hes doing this weekend, the solicitor in my village has a notary who can sign these documents, charges £180 hour with a minimum of £90. Im hoping to have all these sent by the end of next week and then fingers crossed the IELTS pass sheet will follow !

Where is your exam ?

Thanks for all this!!! I dont have my graduation certficate yet as my ceremony isnt until July a year after I qualified!! I luckily have two orginals of my transcript of training so will need to send that to ANMAC. My supervisor at the prison is going to complete my reference today for me. My exam is at Guidlford University the last slot went so not doing it until 21st June now. But gives me plenty of time to prepare. I am really nervous about it particularly the speaking part, I am not great at things like that! EEEK! Gosh £180 an hour thats madness!! I havent even looked into it yet but I bet its going to cost me a bomb. Ive booked some extra shifts at work to try and help fund this whole process! I have got all my fingers and toes crossed for you! where is your test booked? xx

Believe me, the speaking test is by far the easiest of the lot! I too was stressed about this one but I got a 9 in this section, it was just a normal conversation with 2 people, youll be fine x

Had my first test in Manchester, this next one is booked for Leeds as Manchester had a long waiting list

Just make sure the transcript you have is the correct one, it has to show the hours and departments you did your training etc, I have a transcript at home but it doesnt have all those details on it, it'll only delay things if you dont have the correct one x

Believe me, the speaking test is by far the easiest of the lot! I too was stressed about this one but I got a 9 in this section, it was just a normal conversation with 2 people, youll be fine x

Had my first test in Manchester, this next one is booked for Leeds as Manchester had a long waiting list

Just make sure the transcript you have is the correct one, it has to show the hours and departments you did your training etc, I have a transcript at home but it doesnt have all those details on it, it'll only delay things if you dont have the correct one x

So does the transcript need to show my placements etc? Mine show each module and the details of each module etc not where I did my placements.It shows how many practical and theory hours and credits for each module. Such hard work all this!!LOL. So the uni can send the transcript direct to anmac? Can that be done before I submit my online application do you reckon? Sorry for all the questions! Where do u intend to move to in Oz? xx

Hi... I'm sending this post night shift so hope it makes sense lol.. transcript is broken downxhuh all the hours over the 3 years and Yeh they sent it direct as well as sending me a copy.

We are aiming for Adelaide, what about you ?

Ah ok I think I have that but will double check. Just looked at practice academic reading its really hard!!!! What area of nursing do you work in? I work in a prison. Did you say your reference is completed? The sister is finding it tricky to write! What address did you put for where you want the ielts sent to? They have sent me a form as didn't include it with original application asking for the name and department and address, but can only find PO box address? xx

Archived