IELTS Academic or General

mummatothebear

Hi,

Just wondered I am starting the long process of applying for a 189 visa. I want to start with my skills assessment but would/need to do IELTS first as I need more points. I am a registered nurse with 1 years experience mainly in a prison setting.. I read somewhere I could do General or Academic but I read somewhere on the ANMAC website I need the academic IELTS, could anyone clarify? Thanks for help in advance.

Thanks

Kirsty

You must have Academic IELTS or OET for skills assessment purposes as a nurse but for purely points purposes, IELTS General is acceptable. Some applicants do IELTS Academic or OET until they achieve the all 7s (or OET Bs) for skills assessment and then do IELTS General (reputed to be easier) in the hope of getting all 8s for points.

Hi,

Just wondered I am starting the long process of applying for a 189 visa. I want to start with my skills assessment but would/need to do IELTS first as I need more points. I am a registered nurse with 1 years experience mainly in a prison setting.. I read somewhere I could do General or Academic but I read somewhere on the ANMAC website I need the academic IELTS, could anyone clarify? Thanks for help in advance.

Thanks

Kirsty

The question about Academic or General depends on your intension when arriving in Australia. If you intend to continue your education in a College/University then you should choose the Academic, but if you wish to enter/continue with employment only then the General category will suffice.

Paul

The question about Academic or General depends on your intension when arriving in Australia. If you intend to continue your education in a College/University then you should choose the Academic, but if you wish to enter/continue with employment only then the General category will suffice.

Paul

A nurse must do IELTS Academic for skills assessment. General is OK for purely points purposes but if the applicant's skills assessment authority requires Academic, that that's what they must do until they at least meet the requirements of that authority. Nurses, accountants, teachers and a number of other occupations all need Academic for skills assessment.

I am 8 months post qualifying, I HAVE to get the 20 points which is possible by getting 8's in the academic. As stated above you'll need a minimum of 7's in EACH section to satisfy the ANMAC skills requirements. However, if you dont gain the 8's (20 points) in the academic and get a minimum of 7's (10 points) you can re-sit and do the general, get 7's in each section you can claim a further 10 from here ! = 20 points :rolleyes:

Good luck... have you booked your test??

I didn't know you could gain 20 points from getting 7's in both academic & general, that was very exciting to read haha, how sad am l!!! I did the academic 10 days ago and found it excruciating, l get the results on Friday.

Jules

I am 8 months post qualifying, I HAVE to get the 20 points which is possible by getting 8's in the academic. As stated above you'll need a minimum of 7's in EACH section to satisfy the ANMAC skills requirements. However, if you dont gain the 8's (20 points) in the academic and get a minimum of 7's (10 points) you can re-sit and do the general, get 7's in each section you can claim a further 10 from here ! = 20 points :rolleyes:

I would have thought that you would just use your highest grades for the visa?

You may be right and it would be great news, but 2 sets of 7 means you only have scores of 7 in your ability to speak, understand and use the English language, so wouldn't that still just equate to 10 points, rather than 20 points which is proficient use of the language?

Sorry if I'm being thick? ?

Not sure where you have come up with this sum, only the results from one sitting of ielts can be used for immigration, not a combined general + academic! You MUST sit ielts academic for ANMAC, and achieve a 7 in ALL components. If you only achieve 7s in the academic, but need 20 points for immigration, you can then sit the ielts general, and aim for 8s, again has to be in all components, and in one sitting.

Hope that helps!

I must admit the theory of adding general and academic tests together was a new one on me too. So I felt the need to check skillselect. Here's a screenshot of the requirements:

7u2etuzu.jpg

My interpretation is that for 20 points you need to prove superior English and to do that it's minimum 8's across all 4 sections of the SAME test.

I didn't know you could gain 20 points from getting 7's in both academic & general, that was very exciting to read haha, how sad am l!!! I did the academic 10 days ago and found it excruciating, l get the results on Friday.

Jules

You've misunderstood if you think that getting all 7s in both General and Academic will get you 20 points. The fact is that you can't ever combine scores from two tests of any kind.

What we've been saying is that because the General is usually a bit easier than the Academic test, some nurses do Academic for skills assessment purposes and then do General if they need more points but the scores from the two tests stand alone and can't be combined in any way.

If they manage to get all 8s in a single Academic test, that's great because they've met the skills assessment requirement for ANMAC AND they have all 8s for Superior English points.

If they manage to get all 7s on Academic but found the test difficult (as you evidently did), they then do the easier General until they get all 8s in a single test. They submit the all 7s Academic to ANMAC and use the separate all 8s General for points.

Apologies for my interpretation of how we can get those extra points !! I am on nights and i have typed up how to achieve those valuable 20 points !! I am well aware that I have made it look like you can combine the 2 and wasnt meant to confuse anyone!!!

Hope you get the results you need JULER RT xx

Apologies for my interpretation of how we can get those extra points !! I am on nights and i have typed up how to achieve those valuable 20 points !! I am well aware that I have made it look like you can combine the 2 and wasnt meant to confuse anyone!!!

Hope you get the results you need JULER RT xx

Don't worry, that's why these forums are so good, someone will always come along with the correct info!

Best wishes.

Archived