Bulk billing is dead. Not a good time to be in Australia if you are sick

MichaelP

I don't think anyone would argue that there are those who abuse the system (any system), but I can't see how denying people healthcare or education on the basis that they're poor is going to help in any way.

It will take investment into early intervention services to stop the rot, not punishing those who already feel they're not part of society.

However, no one will take that on because it will take longer than the term of one government and they only think from one election to the next.

What happens to those who can't do anything about their situation? The disabled, sick, their carers, the abused? I'm shocked that you make judgements about people who you know nothing about, save what you see in front of you. I think you should ask for your post to be taken down - you and your patients could be very recognisable from it and you don't know who may be looking at the forum.

But I do. And I have no intention of telling anyone my name or - and this is the laughable bit - give away my ED?

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what's the answer guys? Stop all benefits full stop, after all why should us tax payers pay for other people's luxuries. If you lose your job tough poop until you find another one. If you are behind with bills etc and in danger of losing your home tough poop - go out get a job. If you can't afford rent so will be made homeless - tough poop, I've heard park benches are really quite comfy. If you're disabled - hey that's no excuse even if you've got numerous chronic health issues and wheelchair bound - you can still work. Single parent with disabled child who needs lots of care - tough poop go out and get a job, why should the government help you? Oh and don't forget lets sterilise anyone who has the slightest inkling that their other half will do a runner, these single parents are a menace to society. Australia needs more families like the Abbotts!

Sounds a bit silly,of course it does? So do some of the posts on here that seem to think that this budget is only affecting the dole bludgers.

I have lived in a country (actually, countries ...) where that is exactly what happens. This is the way in the whole of Asia. If you do not earn your way, and if you have no family, you die. Exactly - tough poop. Should we adopt that here? No. But there has to be a middle way, a compassionate way. I think the budget could .... could, just maybe ... be a start.

that's alright, I'm not really that interested! Just not great idea talking about your patients on an internet forum but we all do get a little passionate when it comes to politics!

Agreed. Real examples are needed to make a point, not just opinions or generalities.

in all seriousness though, I would delete that original post of yours if I was you

He certainly should, Perth is just a big country town really.PIO is read by many people in Perth.

Not smart for him to have written it in the first place.

• Like 1

So what's the answer guys? Stop all benefits full stop, after all why should us tax payers pay for other people's luxuries. If you lose your job tough poop until you find another one. If you are behind with bills etc and in danger of losing your home tough poop - go out get a job. If you can't afford rent so will be made homeless - tough poop, I've heard park benches are really quite comfy. If you're disabled - hey that's no excuse even if you've got numerous chronic health issues and wheelchair bound - you can still work. Single parent with disabled child who needs lots of care - tough poop go out and get a job, why should the government help you? Oh and don't forget lets sterilise anyone who has the slightest inkling that their other half will do a runner, these single parents are a menace to society. Australia needs more families like the Abbotts!

Sounds a bit silly,of course it does? So do some of the posts on here that seem to think that this budget is only affecting the dole bludgers.

It is silly of course and as I said earlier, we must as a society, protect the vulnerable amongst us. I think that what you are really seeing on this thread, is the people who are sick of the generational doleites (I shall ask if we can have that word added to the English dictionary!) who from mother to daughter, father to son, think it's okay that they shouldn't work whilst we support them. For people who genuinely need help it should be there. But if you are on welfare, you shouldn't be having children. I'm sorry, I know it's controversial to say this but people need to think about how they will clothe and feed those kids before they have them. That's what contraception is there for. Apart from Child Benefit, I have never had my hand out for anything for my kids and there's been times, they've had to wear hand-me-downs etc., but so what? Better that they go without then I have to run cap in hand to the Government for that piddly £27 per week. However, saying that, it's my opinion, it's how I feel, it's not necessarily right for everyone.

The laughable thing about these so called benefits that help working families is that it puts them even deeper in to a debt trap IMO. My son got this Working Tax Credit thing and was asked for the receipts for childcare. Because the receipts were received by the office 2 days late, he and his ex (they've since split but they both work full time and despite her having moved another man in who doesn't contribute one penny, my son still pays for some of the bills etc.) now have to repay £6000 back to the Tax Credit people. I don't know the full ins and outs of it and whether it's the full whack or not, but I do know that I said to him from the start, get extra hours at work and make that money, don't ask for Government help as it will bite you on the backside. And it has. There's threads and threads about people having to pay back huge amounts on the other forums and it's just wrong. It's contributing to poverty, not relieving it.

He certainly should, Perth is just a big country town really.PIO is read by many people in Perth.

Not smart for him to have written it in the first place.

OK guys. If you all agree that it is likely that haters will deliberately seek me out to do damage (seriously, are we that kind of society?) and if the dose of truth was a little too strong for general sensibilities, and we ought to return to entrenched fortresses of generalities and bias, then the post ought to be removed.

OK guys. If you all agree that it is likely that haters will deliberately seek me out to do damage (seriously, are we that kind of society?) and if the dose of truth was a little too strong for general sensibilities, and we ought to return to entrenched fortresses of generalities and bias, then the post ought to be removed.

I don't hate you but I do think that people might read it and know to whom you are referring. It's a long shot but it's still possible.

What do you suggest? Enforced sterilisation of people on the dole? Why stop there, why not extend to thick and ugly people?

Don't be ridiculous. Of course there shouldn't be. But people should be educated that it's not okay to have children if you haven't worked and have no intention of working. There's a person I know, never worked since leaving school, has 4 children, different male DNA bank for each one, none of the males are to be seen again (could be a black widow spider in disguise) and guess who supports those children? But it's okay is it?

Don't be ridiculous. Of course there shouldn't be. But people should be educated that it's not okay to have children if you haven't worked and have no intention of working. There's a person I know, never worked since leaving school, has 4 children, different male DNA bank for each one, none of the males are to be seen again (could be a black widow spider in disguise) and guess who supports those children? But it's okay is it?

No it's not OK, but like it or not, that's life in a free country.

What do you suggest? Enforced sterilisation of people on the dole? Why stop there, why not extend to thick and ugly people?

If you cannot afford a car, do not either buy a car, or commit to repayment schedule - reposession will follow

If you cannot afford to eat in a restaurant, do not go in and order a meal

If you cannot afford to buy a house, do not buy a house

If you cannot afford to feed, clothe and educate a child, do not have a child, and another, and another. We do not want to feed, clothe and educate them for you.

As the Meerkat says: "Simples, no?"

Wow gosh, have to drive 30 minutes to work. I have had 90 minutes journey to work for majority of my working life, now a relatively easy 60 minutes. I didn't know I was so hard done by. I think I will refuse from next week and expect other people to pay my bills instead.

So where does the money come from for the extra fuel ? Take that out of the equasion and she is better sitting at home, but she wont do that she wants to try to support herself AND you have to take into consideration drop off and pick up must fit in with before and after school care times as now one else is able to take them or collect them from school.

Wakeboard - where do you think the entire settlement has gone ? On trying to get him to pay. Again that is what I am trying to get at each case is different. Bring in a rule that if you dont pay or are late strike one you miss access to your kids for a month, strike 2 have your licence suspended. If police can clamp wheels for non payment of finds we should do the same for non or late payment of child support.

So where does the money come from for the extra fuel ? Take that out of the equasion and she is better sitting at home, but she wont do that she wants to try to support herself AND you have to take into consideration drop off and pick up must fit in with before and after school care times as now one else is able to take them or collect them from school.

Wakeboard - where do you think the entire settlement has gone ? On trying to get him to pay. Again that is what I am trying to get at each case is different. Bring in a rule that if you dont pay or are late strike one you miss access to your kids for a month, strike 2 have your licence suspended. If police can clamp wheels for non payment of finds we should do the same for non or late payment of child support.

This is a good idea and my heart goes out to the lady in question as that person (I can think of other words I would like to use here) should be forced to pay and she shouldn't be in the position of having to scramble around for money like that. I hope she is able to get a job soon and her position improves.

It is silly of course and as I said earlier, we must as a society, protect the vulnerable amongst us. I think that what you are really seeing on this thread, is the people who are sick of the generational doleites (I shall ask if we can have that word added to the English dictionary!) who from mother to daughter, father to son, think it's okay that they shouldn't work whilst we support them. For people who genuinely need help it should be there. But if you are on welfare, you shouldn't be having children. I'm sorry, I know it's controversial to say this but people need to think about how they will clothe and feed those kids before they have them. That's what contraception is there for. Apart from Child Benefit, I have never had my hand out for anything for my kids and there's been times, they've had to wear hand-me-downs etc., but so what? Better that they go without then I have to run cap in hand to the Government for that piddly £27 per week. However, saying that, it's my opinion, it's how I feel, it's not necessarily right for everyone.

The laughable thing about these so called benefits that help working families is that it puts them even deeper in to a debt trap IMO. My son got this Working Tax Credit thing and was asked for the receipts for childcare. Because the receipts were received by the office 2 days late, he and his ex (they've since split but they both work full time and despite her having moved another man in who doesn't contribute one penny, my son still pays for some of the bills etc.) now have to repay £6000 back to the Tax Credit people. I don't know the full ins and outs of it and whether it's the full whack or not, but I do know that I said to him from the start, get extra hours at work and make that money, don't ask for Government help as it will bite you on the backside. And it has. There's threads and threads about people having to pay back huge amounts on the other forums and it's just wrong. It's contributing to poverty, not relieving it.

"For people who genuinely need help it should be there" - exactly! But this budget is taking money away from these people, that's what a lot of us on this thread are so annoyed about. I don't see how $7 copayment is going to stop a dole bludger - I expect they're the ones who always go to emergency rooms anyway as I doubt they have GPs. Hospital admissions will increase due to reduced GP visits - prevention is far cheaper than cure - emergency departments will suffer even more. Homelessness will increase, poverty will increase, there will probably be a bigger social divide between the haves and have nots. Charities will have to provide way more ..... but it will be all worth it in the long run?!

If you cannot afford a car, do not either buy a car, or commit to repayment schedule - reposession will follow

If you cannot afford to eat in a restaurant, do not go in and order a meal

If you cannot afford to buy a house, do not buy a house

If you cannot afford to feed, clothe and educate a child, do not have a child, and another, and another. We do not want to feed, clothe and educate them for you.

As the Meerkat says: "Simples, no?"

That is essentially the tory credo in Yoda speak. Perhaps you should become a spin doctor instead of an ED doctor

Does that example actually exist ?

I wouldn't be doing volunteer work instead of paid work if I was that poor I was struggling to make ends meet, and having to pay child care costs in order to do this volunteer work ?

Did you just make up this example ? Is it realistic ?

Oh trust me this is 100% TRUTH and she is not the only one in this situation. Parley Cross are you aware that Family Court Orders ban both parents from re locating unless the other party gives approval ? Not even suburbs !! ???? the only way you can re locate if the other parent says no, is to hand the kids to the other parent and walk away !