Claiming Oz pension if you claim British pension? Confusing!!!

SallyKay

So if we live in Australia until say 63 can we then claim it aged 65 from the U.K. or do we have to come back at age 65 to claim and the stay for 2yrs? Sorry just unsure of how we will proceed with this. My partner wants to go back to live in the U.K. when we retire so we're just trying to work out if it's possible. He's been here since 1985 so he'd qualify for Aussie pension.

We went to uk gov info on line it all seemed pretty clear when we did it, no memorable problems with the whole process, sorry but I do not have the web site address.

We went to uk gov info on line it all seemed pretty clear when we did it, no memorable problems with the whole process, sorry but I do not have the web site address.

Sorry to be annoying did you claim an Aussie age pension? If so did you claim it from the U.K. or in Australia? We want to be sure we can still get our Australian age pension in the U.K. Neither of us will be eligible for a U.K. one. Ideally we'd like to return before we retire and claim from the U.K. If we can't we shall just have to stay in Australia. Settle for holidays over there instead.

Edited by Guest

Neither my wife or I are at Aus pension age yet so can not help you on that one. My wife applied/claimed her UK pension from here in Australia, the application was done on line, with some documents having to be sent by post to the UK (they were returned quite promptly).

When we both retire the plan is to spend time in both countries. My wife does not have any super here in Aus, and as yet do not quite know what if any Aus pension she will get, So guess it will come down to my super and our other investments.

Thank you we are not at retirement age yet either. Just trying to plan ahead and trying to see what we would be able to do in terms of being able to take our pension to the U.K. However the rules change so much it's hard to keep up. Will just have to see what the rules are at the time i suppose. In terms of your wife accessing the Aus age pension considering you've been here a while i think she'd get something.

Sorry to be annoying did you claim an Aussie age pension? If so did you claim it from the U.K. or in Australia? We want to be sure we can still get our Australian age pension in the U.K. Neither of us will be eligible for a U.K. one. Ideally we'd like to return before we retire and claim from the U.K. If we can't we shall just have to stay in Australia. Settle for holidays over there instead.

You have to be an Australian resident in Australia on the day you claim the age pension - http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/services/centrelink/age-pension

Well that's cleared that up thank you. Looks like our plan will need a bit of tinkering then.

Edited by Guest

So if we live in Australia until say 63 can we then claim it aged 65 from the U.K. or do we have to come back at age 65 to claim and the stay for 2yrs? Sorry just unsure of how we will proceed with this. My partner wants to go back to live in the U.K. when we retire so we're just trying to work out if it's possible. He's been here since 1985 so he'd qualify for Aussie pension.

You'll have to come back and claim it when you hit 65 (and then stay for two years). Alternatively don't leave before age 65.

You'll have to come back and claim it when you hit 65 (and then stay for two years). Alternatively don't leave before age 65.

Could be we won't go at all at this rate or just settle for holidays. Ideally we'd like to do 6mths here 6mths there but not sure how we'd manage that yet.

Yes, I will get a part UK pension too (though as I'm a bit younger, I won't get mine till 2018). However it'll be based on the number of years I worked in the UK only (I've been in Oz since 1985). Some people can claim their pre-2001 residence in Australia towards their UK pension entitlement so they get bit extra.

If you contact the pension ppl they may well let you make back dated payments which was what I did: can make difference.

If you contact the pension ppl they may well let you make back dated payments which was what I did: can make difference.

And you need to keep an eye on this in case they change the rules as they're talking about doing. Best to keep it topped up now if you have the cash, rather than wait and then see them stop it when pensions change.