Visa Advice

scotontour

I have decided to move over to Australia (Melbourne) and leave my current job in the UK which I have done for the last 12 years. I don't have a job to go to as such and was looking for advice for the best way to go about this and what visa to get?

Most jobs I look at say you need working Visa before they will consider you. What is the best way to go about this?

Not much to comment on there Scotontour. Can yell us a bit about yourself? For example, how old are you, what do you do for a living? What formal qualifications do you have?

I work for Commercial Insurance company as Team Manager, age 33. I only have High School qualifications, my brother lives in Melbourne and is an Australia Citizen.

I work for Commercial Insurance company as Team Manager, age 33. I only have High School qualifications, my brother lives in Melbourne and is an Australia Citizen.

Probably need to get a bit more specific regarding your role within the insurance company, rather than your corporate level. I mean do you do sales, claims, operations, finance, HR, these are all functions in an insurance company.

A family member in Australia offers little to no assistance when it comes to getting visas I am afraid.

Your brother could sponsor you on a family sponsored visa, or cgeck out if your job is on the consolidated skills list in the Australian immigration website then you could try and get emplyer or state sponsored. Nay be worth getting a free eligibility assessment done by an immigration agent. Loads of info in Australia magazine too. Good luck! !

You'll need to see if your occupation is on the CSOL or SOL, as this is required for any work-related visa. From there, it's a matter of seeing how many points you can claim and narrowing down your visa options. The 189 visa gives you the most flexibility (can work for anyone anywhere), while 190 requires sponsorship from a state. The employer-sponsored visas get more difficult since you need to find a willing and eligible sponsor which is typically hard to do when you live overseas.

Your brother could sponsor you on a family sponsored visa, or cgeck out if your job is on the consolidated skills list in the Australian immigration website then you could try and get emplyer or state sponsored. Nay be worth getting a free eligibility assessment done by an immigration agent. Loads of info in Australia magazine too. Good luck! !

His brother cannot sponsor for a visa unless OP meets all requirements of skilled migration anyway. And if he does qualify for skilled migration, then he is better off not taking the family sponsorship anyway as it provides a lower quality of visa.

I only have High School qualifications

Without Tertiary Qualifications you are unlikely to meet any of the skilled visa options as you will not be able to obtain a skills assessment.

Your most likely pathway will be through a temporary working visa (subclass 457) which will require employment and sponsorship from an Australian business.

I work as a Sales/Service Team Manager and manage 8 people.

Do you think it will be easier to get this when in Australia?

Easier to get what?

Can you apply for a general visitor Visa then apply for working visa when over in Australia?

What working visa are you qualified for, you need to work that out first of all and I don't think we have done so yet. From what you have said, I think it is going to be quite hard. Being in Australia does not change any of the criteria, so personally, no I do not recommend you do this. It is not the correct use of a tourist visa for a start.

You need to work on finding out what visa you qualify for. Start by looking at the occupation lists for your occupation.

www.immi.gov.au and search for the SOL and CSOL

How does the carer visa work?

It is rare and hard to get. You can have a read about it on www.immi.gov.au but there will not be many people that have secured this I would guess.

Do you have someone you need to care for? Can this care only be provided by you (that is something immigration would need to be satisfied with).

From what I know of someone trying to get a carer visa it's seriously difficult. EG, if it is a child that has a special need then proof has to be forthcoming that neither parent can do anything of whats required, or that they are both not on the scene. You have to prove that absolutely no schooling provision can be given, and that essentially, without a carer the child would only survive by being in hospital 24/7 or in care of the government services.... that should give an indication of the kinds of things immigration look at/for this visa...

For 2013/2014 there is a limit of 585 Other Family visas (including aged dependent, carer and remaining relative visas). I wouldn't hold my breath on getting a carer visa easily or soon.

Have you looked to see if you qualify for an occupation on the SOL or CSOL?

If you're traveling on a UK passport then you are eligible for a subclass 600 visa which would give you the time to find an employer who is willing to sponsor you for a subclass 457 visa. After two years on that then apply for a subclass 186 TRT Permanent Residence visa and the citizenship. I have seen the happen so its a reasonable scenario. To be blunt if you haven't got the skills on the SOL list then short of marrying in Australian this is the path you'll have to take.

If you're traveling on a UK passport then you are eligible for a subclass 600 visa which would give you the time to find an employer who is willing to sponsor you for a subclass 457 visa. After two years on that then apply for a subclass 186 TRT Permanent Residence visa and the citizenship. I have seen the happen so its a reasonable scenario. To be blunt if you haven't got the skills on the SOL list then short of marrying in Australian this is the path you'll have to take.

Travelling on a tourist visa with the express purpose of finding work is a breach of the tourist visa. DIBP could and would send you home if that was known.

For a 457 visa, you still need to have an occupation on the CSOL, and finding a willing and eligible employer isn't as easy as you make it sound. Does it happen? Yes it does, but it's a huge and potentially very expensive gamble if it doesn't work out. There have been many posts on this forum from people who've come on a 457 visa and had things go wrong (redundancy, job wasn't what it was portrayed, etc.) and found themselves on a plane back home without a sponsor.

Archived