jobs for psychologists.

Given you are a VERY long way from being able to migrate as a psychologist, i would not worry what the situation is like now - in order to obtain a skills assessment as a psychologist you would need 6 years of study (degree plus a phd) and then 3 years of experience. It is impossible to say what the jobs will be lile in 9 years time

https://www.psychology.org.au/Assets/Files/Minimum-Prerequisite_Skilled-Employment-History.pdf

Thanks for the help, having a sense of those criteria, eased a bit, the idea. I'm going to graduate here in Brazil, the course here is recorded by the regional council, but I intend to do an academic master's degree or a specialization.

There are more psychologists to the square inch in Australia than anywhere else in the world. It will depend on your specialization and by the time you get to a point of being able to apply for a visa you'll probably need a doctorate to get registered by AHPRA. It's not an occupation I would be banking on for getting a visa in the future - it's the course of choice for many young Aussie undergraduates.

• 1 year later...

Hmmm. If it's that hard to become clinical psychologists in Australia, I'm wondering why are people not applying for psychotherapy/counseling education instead? As far as I'm familiar it's regulated as different profession, but it's much easier to get a license (if it's licensed at all). In private practice you're doing pretty much the same work (therapy), and you can charge similar prices. Are there any benefits of being clinical psychologist instead of therapist/counsellor in PRIVATE PRACTICE? (I know that conducing clinical assessment in some mental health clinic would be different than performing a therapy)

Train to be a psychiatrist instead. I pay $250 for half an hour. Suspect that he's got a big student loan to pay off.....

Seriously I find there are a lot of 'lifestyle' psychologists here with fancy web sites advising that they can reduce the stress in your life but finding one with serious targeted skills can be a challenge - especially ones with real experience in helping people with bi-polar, severe depression etc.. I suspect as in other careers, it all boils down to how qualified and experienced you are...

Hmmm. If it's that hard to become clinical psychologists in Australia, I'm wondering why are people not applying for psychotherapy/counseling education instead? As far as I'm familiar it's regulated as different profession, but it's much easier to get a license (if it's licensed at all). In private practice you're doing pretty much the same work (therapy), and you can charge similar prices. Are there any benefits of being clinical psychologist instead of therapist/counsellor in PRIVATE PRACTICE? (I know that conducing clinical assessment in some mental health clinic would be different than performing a therapy)

Plenty of people out there trying to make a go of counselling in private practice. Many with qualifications from the 2 hour on line course from some obscure insitution or other. They're not really in that great demand TBH because the regulation of their practice isn't there and they can't register as Medicare providers (which substantially brings the cost down for the consumer). They also are limited if they choose to be employed by someone else - governments won't have a bar of them so they're employed at much lower rates by NFP agencies. Actually, there aren't that many high quality counselling courses because Psychology is the subject of choice for many Uni students - that or Social Work, both of which have quality controls attached.

With respect to the APS assessment of your qualifications - that will really depend on the University you gained them at, the structure of the courses you took and, to an extent, the standing of the professors involved in your course along with the skill set you might have been expected to have achieved on that course. Very much a "Who Knows?" Situation

With respect to the APS assessment of your qualifications - that will really depend on the University you gained them at, the structure of the courses you took and, to an extent, the standing of the professors involved in your course along with the skill set you might have been expected to have achieved on that course. Very much a "Who Knows?" Situation

Are you referring to my post in the other thread?

I know no one can guarantee anything, but I'm just wondering if ANYONE with Bsc and Msc in Psychology (in length of 5 years total) from Europe got positive assessment.

Are you referring to my post in the other thread?

I know no one can guarantee anything, but I'm just wondering if ANYONE with Bsc and Msc in Psychology (in length of 5 years total) from Europe got positive assessment.

This is a UK board so the likelihood of a psych with qualifications from non UK universities is slim - is there an equivalent board for interest from your country? Other than that, put in your transcripts and see what happens. There are UK courses that don't rate with APS in the same way that there are some Aus courses which don't meet the criteria either. Who knows?!

This is a UK board so the likelihood of a psych with qualifications from non UK universities is slim - is there an equivalent board for interest from your country? Other than that, put in your transcripts and see what happens. There are UK courses that don't rate with APS in the same way that there are some Aus courses which don't meet the criteria either. Who knows?!

I know it's UK board, and when I said European, I meant including UK as well. My studies are pretty comprehensive, and included researches, almost exclusively psychology courses (almost anything you can think of) and practicum, so that's not what I'm concerned of, although I know nothing can be guaranteed, and actually I agree with you it's 'who knows' situation. Also, I know there's no 'list of required courses' for positive assesment, so everything is done in case-by-case form.

What I'm wondering here is if anyone from the UK got positive assessment with 5 years long studies (and again, my point is the length only)? I know APS specified it's supposed to be EQUIVALENT to 6 years of AUS studies, and it doesn't have to be actual 6 years long, but I'm still interested if anyone experienced it for real.

Archived