More nurses leaving UK for Australia

ali

As if we didn't know - it was reported in the Western Nurse that data from the NMC shows that the number of nurses moving from UK to Aus has jumped 75% in the past 3 years.

More than 10,000 nurses/midwives left to work abroad last year alone and nearly 35,000 in the past 4 years.

The RCN are quoted as saying that the British Health System was "just a few short years away from a crisis"

Ali

Guest tracywilson

I just dont understand it though!! the nurses here in subiaco are on appalling wages/?? Mind you I suppose the sunshine helps that lol

As if we didn't know - it was reported in the Western Nurse that data from the NMC shows that the number of nurses moving from UK to Aus has jumped 75% in the past 3 years.

More than 10,000 nurses/midwives left to work abroad last year alone and nearly 35,000 in the past 4 years.

The RCN are quoted as saying that the British Health System was "just a few short years away from a crisis"

Ali

Well no surprise there then! They need to examine why nurses are leaving the UK in droves, as they are. There is a lot less stress in oz nursing. Less patients per qualified nurse is worth its weight in gold, to be honest! However, nursing in oz is very different. Its very advanced in lots of ways, but very old fashioned in others. Just come to oz with an open mind, and if you are a nurse try to adapt to the way they work. The lifestyle, not meaning materialistically, outdoor life etc, is fab so you have to balance your work and outdoor life and make the most of it, its pretty good, honest! :biglaugh:

Guest miss m

I'm not surprised the nurses are leaving. They did ok in AFC but I know the District nurses near me have all been rebanded with many being downgraded whilst still being expected to do the same work!

Guest MelodyS

Hi!

I am one of the nurses thats joining 'the droves' of nurses heading down under.

We are still in the very early stages of the emigration process, so have no experience of nursing in Australia. I am just going with an open mind, and for the time being, any nursing that I can get to keep a roof over our head will be welcomed! ( However, I am sure this opinion may alter once we arrive!!!!)

But quite right, the NHS is a sinking ship! And employers and big chiefs need to start questioning WHY so many of us are leaving!

I do have to add though, that I have my family in WA so that draws me more than a ticket out of the NHS!!!! But I have colleagues who have left us for the sunshine without knowing a soul, and they claim that it is the best move they ever made!

So, we will see....either way I am coming to try it out!! If you never ever go, You will never ever know!!!

:jiggy:xx Melody xx

Guest miss m

Ali

Never a truer word. I'd say its in a crisis now! Ive had 10 years in n out of the NHS and seen the changes.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Ali

I have a question. A friend of mine in the village was an Intensive Care nurse at Southampton General. About 5 years ago, she suddenly invited me to a party. Apparently she and Hubby had just received their visas for Oz and were headed for Perth.

Never thinking at the time that PR in Oz might become a possibility for Mum as well, I stupidly didn't ask my chum a single question about the visa process! I got the impression that it had all happened very quickly but since I knew sweet FA about Oz visas at the time I didn't ask about that either.

However, I did ask why they were making the move. She said that for Intensive Care nurses, the pay & working conditions were both miles better in Perth than the NHS over here, plus they would be able to get a bigger, better house for the same price as the one here.

Do you reckon that this is a reasonably accurate estimate, please? I've always wondered because I didn't ask which hozzy she was going to in Perth so I lost touch with her after she moved.

Thanks

Gill

Guest The Thomsons
I just dont understand it though!! the nurses here in subiaco are on appalling wages/?? Mind you I suppose the sunshine helps that lol

I am a senior nurse in the UK and earn a really good salary. However after a period of sick leave due to work related stress, I can say with conviction that money isn't everything!

Also , I would argue with the RCN when they say we are a few short years from an NHS crisis- I'd say it has already started!!!

Guest miss m
the pay & working conditions were both miles better in Perth than the NHS over here, plus they would be able to get a bigger, better house for the same price as the one here.

Ive heard that the working conditions ie less stress due to better staffed wards etc were the main benefits for nurses rather than any real pay difference.

I'm hoping working conditions in healthcare in general will be much better than the UK NHS, as I'm a Podiatrist and think I want to stick with that career at least for a while!

Hi

I worked in an intensive care unit in Perth for a year and had a good experience. but I also love working in ITU in Edinburgh. When we return to Perth I will return to ITU and the biggest difference was that in Perth we were paid better unsocial hours but the basic salary was similar.

I am definitely not desperate to leave the NHS here but looking forward to a better standard of living in Oz.

Arlene

I'm not surprised the nurses are leaving. They did ok in AFC but I know the District nurses near me have all been rebanded with many being downgraded whilst still being expected to do the same work!

I know my post when I left was a band 7 - my friend emailed me to say they're looking at downgrading it to a 6 - whilst putting more and more responsibilities upon them.

Gill - I think Pay is probably slightly less but not significantly so - but certainly the stress is less and you can salary package which save you on tax. I salary package $500 per fortnight which is taken out of my salary before tax and then put into my bank account 2 days later. As Yorkshire Pom said in some ways it's really forward thinking and others it's way behind, certainly in mental health they rely on alot of voluntary type organisations rather than having those things provided by the service.

Despite house rises, I still think you get more house for your money - not necessarily more land as Elaine will tell you the plot sizes for sale seem to be shrinking (but the houses they build on them get bigger), so not alot of room for a garden.

Ali

Regarding the NHS, I first qualified in the 80's when 'sister's' or 'matrons' word was law and you sh*t your pants if either asked you a question.

I am now into 2008 and autonomy is the big issue.........not enough pay for the responsibilities that go with the job. I am in effect doing a Charge Nurse post but only being paid for a Staff nurse post.

Although I am fine with working autonomously, there are times when I feel like I would like to go back to the 'good old days'

It strikes me that Oz is quite behind in their nursing.....although they are on top with their research, good old nursing practise remains and I am the first to admit that I miss 'looking after my patients'.

I spend more time on a daily basis completing paperwork and not enough time actually speaking to my patients.

I am under no illusions that in time, Australia will catch up with the UK but I for one am looking forward to actuallly returning to 'good old fashioned nursing'.

Gill

Gill I too trained in the 80's - when you were thrown in at the deep end, and being a 3rd year student ready to sit your finals meant you held the keys!! - I have to say that I do think hospitals operated much better then. I was frightened to death by some of the sisters in the 'old days' but did they know how to run their wards!!

The thing that I've been able to do here that I didn't do (and to some extent wasn't allowed to do as always getting phone calls) in the UK is at the end of the day - I switch off, by the time I'm home I've been able to get rid of work and have family time

Ali

Regarding the NHS, I first qualified in the 80's when 'sister's' or 'matrons' word was law and you sh*t your pants if either asked you a question.

I am now into 2008 and autonomy is the big issue.........not enough pay for the responsibilities that go with the job. I am in effect doing a Charge Nurse post but only being paid for a Staff nurse post.

Although I am fine with working autonomously, there are times when I feel like I would like to go back to the 'good old days'

It strikes me that Oz is quite behind in their nursing.....although they are on top with their research, good old nursing practise remains and I am the first to admit that I miss 'looking after my patients'.

I spend more time on a daily basis completing paperwork and not enough time actually speaking to my patients.

I am under no illusions that in time, Australia will catch up with the UK but I for one am looking forward to actuallly returning to 'good old fashioned nursing'.

Gill

Gill you will most definitely get time to spend with your patients. I look after 4 maybe 5 patients per shift, as opposed to 17 per shift in the UK!!! It can be busy because you have to do everything for your patients but it is nice to be able to do that. I am sure you will love it, i know i do. :smile:

Guest The Picketts

In the weekly Mail this week there is an article which says that hundreds of newly-qualified nurses and midwives are struggling to get a job in the NHS six months after completing training and the number of out-of-work graduate nurses has risen by 80%. And not just nurses/midwives doctors are also affected. What a state the NHS is getting itself into. I am not a medic but did work as a Medical Secretary at Barts in London (which I loved - but stayed out of the politics!) so do have some idea of what was going on with regrading etc. I just feel so sorry for all those who want to make a career in medicine only to find themselves unable to find a job.

Cheryl

I qualified in September 2007. Oh my God whta a shock I got when commencing employment on a DME ward. It's such a steep learning curve. I look after a minium of 15 patients per shift. I'm heading to the Gold Coast to work hopefully within the next couple of months after securing a post over there, at interview I was suprised to hear that you look after a maximum of 6 patient per shift, and actually get to care for them! Over here I bearly get to look at some of my patients over the stack of paperwork we are required to complete on every shift. I am very aware that the grass isn't always greener and the job isn't the only reason we're Oz bound....but my God 6 patients!

Archived