Leaving Scotland end of May for Melbourne

TheGlovers

Flights booked for 28th of May one way to Melbourne .

Taken us 3 years to get there between selling house and everthing else.

Kids now looking forward to the new adventure . They weren't before but they have come round to it.

Starting to get nervous myself about the move but hay ho life's to short and I all was say here for a good time not a long time .Dont want to sit back in Scotland in 20 odd years say wonder what would off happened if we had moved to Australia . If we find it's not for us after a couple of years we can come back to Scotland.

Let the adventure begin .

cheers

Flights booked for 28th of May one way to Melbourne .

Taken us 3 years to get there between selling house and everthing else.

Kids now looking forward to the new adventure . They weren't before but they have come round to it.

Starting to get nervous myself about the move but hay ho life's to short and I all was say here for a good time not a long time .Dont want to sit back in Scotland in 20 odd years say wonder what would off happened if we had moved to Australia . If we find it's not for us after a couple of years we can come back to Scotland.

Let the adventure begin .

cheers

Our sentiments exactly when we came out last July. Unfortunately it's not worked out for us and we're flying back this July but at least we've put our minds at rest by giving it a go. It's certainly been an experience!

If you're looking for things to buy when you arrive in Melbourne give us a shout, we'll be selling cars (two of, both cheap), wardrobes, washing machine, dryer etc.

Any idea where you'll be moving to when you get here??

How old are your kids? Have you found school, accommodation etc? Its very expensive here in Melbourne, more so than London! We have been here 2.5 years. My daughter was 15, first year was awful, my husband hates his job, my daughter hated everything! But she has made friends, my husband still hates his job. Dont expect to settle straight away, its tough, its not all BBQ on the beach. Be positive, stay calm and work as a team! Do your homework in Scotland. Dont forget you will be coming in Winter Here. i dont think clothes are good quality, bring good quality shoes!!! They are crap and expensive! Hey! im from Yorkshire. We have Retail outlets. What area are you aiming for? Do you know anyone when you arrive? BUT on the plus, the sport in Melbo is great, Cafes, GOOD FOOD. Good Luck, keep in touch.

Kids are 15,11 and 9 . Looking at rentals in the Doreen area but got nothing confirmed yet .

Brother in law was looking over places for us at the weekend there. We know it's not going to be easy and things can be expensive .

But we will give it a dame good go and see how it goes. My wife is an Australia citizen and kids have dual nationality . Wife been in Scotland now for over 20 years . Still got family and friends out in Melbourne it help us settle down and pick there brains about things.

Kids are 15,11 and 9 . Looking at rentals in the Doreen area but got nothing confirmed yet .

Brother in law was looking over places for us at the weekend there. We know it's not going to be easy and things can be expensive .

But we will give it a dame good go and see how it goes. My wife is an Australia citizen and kids have dual nationality . Wife been in Scotland now for over 20 years . Still got family and friends out in Melbourne it help us settle down and pick there brains about things.

You will find the first few months much easier than most having family close to where you are immigrating to.

It will also save you a packet.

Im a Melbourne bred Aussie and immigrated back with my Yorkie wife and toddler nearly 5 years ago.

You will have someone to pick you up from the airport and drive you to a bed.

You will (hopefully) have a room to stay in for a week until you find a house to rent.

You may (we were lucky) have an inlaw with a seldom used car you can borrow until you find one yourself.

You will have a variety of people on tap who will lend you furniture and things until your container arrives.

And the most important thing is that there will be an instant social network you can immerse yourself into so you are not staring at each other over the bare boards a month into your new home.

Take every family invitation, however vague. Invite yourself over if it has been too long between calls. Get out and experience anything.

Don't give yourself time to get down.

Edited by dmjg
Sp