Cycle helmet laws in Oz

Paul1Perth

Unless they are using BMX or sometimes mountain bikes.

And therein lies the crux of the matter. Not all two wheeled pedallers are carrying the same level of risk. Some are screaming down a hillside, some are toddling along the prom. Yet the law dictates that both must meet a minimum level of dress which is over the top for one activity and wholly inadequate for the other.

As for the helmet argument, a friend of mine's husband was involved in a very serious accident a few years ago where he was knocked off his bike along a country lane. Even with a helmet he was in a coma and has never recovered to who he was previously. His entire personality has changed and he has some very major physical problems. Without a helmet he wouldn't be here. He is petitioning in the UK to make helmets mandatory. If this puts people of cycling so be it. Its about time helmets just became an acceptable behaviour.

I do wish people wouldn't do that. Got nothing against helmets, I cycle a lot (every day commuting + leisure rides) and always wear one, but I don't think they should be compulsory, at all. Actually I think it would be counter productive. The vast majority of people taking the bigger risks (people doing more kms, people who commute in cities, people riding off road) wear helmets anyway as a matter of course so they're not the issue

The issue is the effect compulsory helmets have on casual cycling. The anecdotal evidence of my own eyes is that these sort of journeys are definitely put off by having the laws. It just makes things more of a hassle. As per my previous post, I see hardly any casual cycling here (you get a bit in the Inner West and similar sort of areas), it's very much "proper" commuters and leisure cycling at the weekends, families in parks and so on plus clubs out on the twisty hilly roads like Galston Gorge and West Head Rd. People nipping down the shops in midweek or at the weekend? Doesn't happen

The problem I have with this is twofold: Firstly, every journey not made on a bike is typically being made in a car instead, so making the roads that bit more dangerous for cyclists and pedestrians. More importantly, because there are fewer casual cyclists around, drivers expect them not to be there so make less allowance for cyclists. And as the cyclists that are on the roads tend to be more of the "serious" Lycra crew, aggressive attitudes from both sides get more entrenched. The levels of aggression from drivers to cyclists, and from cyclists to drivers, that I see here are really bad, way worse than London which is saying something. I find it very disappointing.

I'm convinced mandatory helmet laws have contributed to this - if they (MHLs) have been brought in and cycling participation has dropped, levels of aggression (subjective I know) have gone up and injuries are proportionately no better or indeed worse (as the data seems to suggest), then surely they have failed?

Visiting Holland last summer made me reassess our entire lifestyle. From the minute we drove into the country there were cyclists everywhere. Young, old, families, newborns. It really has to be seen to be believed. I would love my children to be like that.

That's my problem with compulsory laws. "If this puts people off cycling so be it".....but if you put people off, you'll never get a society like that. As others have noted, in the Netherlands they don't have mandatory helmet laws

Because pedestrains aren't going along on a machine they could fall off of and bang their heads pretty easily.

But they can be hit by cars, which happens quite a lot. You can't argue that they woud be safer without a helmet. Especially a bright yellow one. If it saves just one childs life, surely it's got to be worth it? You're not against making the effort for the sake of the children, are you?

I'm all for it, although it won't really affect me since I drive everywhere.

But they can be hit by cars, which happens quite a lot. You can't argue that they woud be safer without a helmet. Especially a bright yellow one. If it saves just one childs life, surely it's got to be worth it? You're not against making the effort for the sake of the children, are you?

I'm all for it, although it won't really affect me since I drive everywhere.

I'm sure no-one will object if you and your family walk round with helmets on Xenon, go for it mate.:cool:

Being an avid cyclist until bike was stolen sometime back I often found other cyclists just as much a menace if not more than cars. I used to cycle long distances but at a medium pace and the lycra crowd, very numerous here in Perth were often a hazard to say the least as well as often aggressive. Really took the joy or pleasure from biking at times.

It is not true from my experience that WA police don't actively police the helmet rule here in Perth. I was balled out in a very aggressive tone when passing two cycle coppers by the river, while wearing a helmet but not securing the straps. I came close to shouting back at him and but luckily refrained from doing so judging from the power trip at least one seemed to be on.

Having lived in both Denmark and Netherlands little can compare to those flat landscapes with the infrastructure in place for cyclists and carried out in a normal way. The city I stayed in Germany great also where cars are kept to a minimum in the city centre. Doesn't apply in al cities in that country though.

London I have noticed cycling has got more popular than when I used to cycle there in the early 80's but far more dangerous as well.

Being an avid cyclist until bike was stolen sometime back I often found other cyclists just as much a menace if not more than cars. I used to cycle long distances but at a medium pace and the lycra crowd, very numerous here in Perth were often a hazard to say the least as well as often aggressive. Really took the joy or pleasure from biking at times.

It is not true from my experience that WA police don't actively police the helmet rule here in Perth. I was balled out in a very aggressive tone when passing two cycle coppers by the river, while wearing a helmet but not securing the straps. I came close to shouting back at him and but luckily refrained from doing so judging from the power trip at least one seemed to be on.

Having lived in both Denmark and Netherlands little can compare to those flat landscapes with the infrastructure in place for cyclists and carried out in a normal way. The city I stayed in Germany great also where cars are kept to a minimum in the city centre. Doesn't apply in al cities in that country though.

London I have noticed cycling has got more popular than when I used to cycle there in the early 80's but far more dangerous as well.

You were lucky you didn't get a fine then flag. I reckon if you had shouted back you would have and rightly so. The guy was just doing his job. I see people every day riding without helmets and I don't know of one person that's been fined. I put mine on when I get on the bike out of habit, bit like putting the seatbelt on in the car. Felt a bit funny and people used to complain just as much when that law came in too. Now I think most people would admit to it saving a lot of lives.

How aggressive were the lycra mob you saw flag? Did they pass you at speed or something.:wink:

You were lucky you didn't get a fine then flag. I reckon if you had shouted back you would have and rightly so. The guy was just doing his job. I see people every day riding without helmets and I don't know of one person that's been fined. I put mine on when I get on the bike out of habit, bit like putting the seatbelt on in the car. Felt a bit funny and people used to complain just as much when that law came in too. Now I think most people would admit to it saving a lot of lives.

How aggressive were the lycra mob you saw flag? Did they pass you at speed or something.:wink:

No as I was wearing a helmet he was being fastidious as well as aggressive in tone. Unacceptable in my book. A northern Englander to top it off as well.

There is still a debate on just how many lives a cycle helmet may save. The UK recently declined to implement it by legislation. The minister gave a good interview on reasons why not on radio.

I guess the debate will continue for a long time yet. Biggest health risk is of course inactivity. Anything that furthers that far out ways helmets in my view.

As another poster mentioned Australia has become obsessed by rules and regulations perhaps always was to an extent when I think back in the historical context.

It's been interesting for me to see just how many cyclists here don't wear helmets - in Canberra they were mandatory and enforced and all of my boys would never think of getting on their bikes without one. Here (and I must count one day) I'd reckon well over 50% don't wear a helmet. I think if they were enforced here there would be a huge cohort that would hang up their bike clips - mainly the 60/70/80 (and even 90?) yr olds who use and who have always used their bikes as transport. I never ever saw that cohort in Canberra but here there are a load of fitter oldies because of it (yes, Cambridge is bike oriented of course). I met an 87 yr old in the doctors surgery quite recently who was bemoaning the loss of her beloved bike (docs had told her to stop!) - and consequent loss of independence. I couldn't imagine her or others like her with a brain bucket. My cycling husband is very impressed by the relative courtesy of drivers here towards cyclists!

Weve had a couple of elderly neighbours over the years - one cycled everywhere and was, sadly, knocked off his bike and killed. The other walked everywhere and was, sadly, knocked over on a pedestrian crossing and killed. Helmets for all? I think not! I'd rather they were a matter of personal choice rather than having to be nannied into them!

There are some very valid points raised here but as an avid cyclist who competes and commutes, I think that the over riding point is that regardless of helmet laws, the main thing that needs to be learnt by everyone is tolerance. The Netherlands is a fantastic example of cycling eutopia but it's their attitudes that make it work. I know riding in Freo was bliss because of the wide roads and cycle lanes and much better than the UK. I see moron cyclists running red lights but then the whilst back in the UK a few weeks ago, I had some kids open a door on me and hurl abuse when all I was doing was riding along on my own. Totally unprovoked aggression. I caught them at the traffic lights and had a word though and yet they refused to get out of their car and drove off.I'm not sure a helmet would have done me much good if said door had hit me. My dad has also had the life altering brain injury mentioned by a previous poster whilst wearing a helmet and as someone else said, this debate can run and run. Perhaps if people weren't in such a constant rush to get places things would be safer for all?

They all wear helmets round here- and also most wear that horrible lycra. Can't stand cyclists clogging up the roads and they don't pay for a license either. Should stick to bikepaths and drop the attitude so many seem to have.

Every person cycling is one less person driving a car. I'll put two and two together for you and point out that means the roads would be even more clogged up if it was for these cyclists.

Because pedestrains aren't going along on a machine they could fall off of and bang their heads pretty easily.

I ride almost every day and haven't fallen off my bike. The last time I can remember falling over was when out for a jog.

Incidently I do wear a helmet when on my cycling commute because I don't trust other road users and the cycling infrastruture where I currently live (Portsmouth) is pathetic. I probably wouldn't wear a lid if I lived in Holland because they actually spend real money on making cycling safe.

Archived