Very scared 16 yr old

Karen Harris

My daughter is due to come out to Melbourne with us in Oct this year on a 457 visa but is having serious cold feet & may not come now. She's worried about leaving family & friends and going to school where she doesn't know anyone & has never been to Aus. She's worried too that if she hates it & goes home all her friends will have started college & made friends & that she will be a year behind them. Any info advice or experience that might help her would be really appreciated. :sad:

Hmm, probably not what you'd want to hear but is there any chance you could let her finish A Levels? At 16 (assuming she is already 16) she would be half way through year 11 and that's not a program you can join half way through. She would, indeed be cutting off options - if she's away from UK for 3 yrs before Uni she would be stung for international fees. I wouldn't have moved my kids (in either direction) at that age. If she can finish A levels and you are still in Aus they will travel better to Aus further education than the reverse.

My son was 16 and similar position I guess. Although they put him in yr 11 initially because he had missed the curriculum from Jan to Oct he struggled, also he couldn't have the subjects he requested. They subsequently put him into yr 10 and he started yr 11 in Jan gone. He is much. Ore settled and enjoying school now, they study 6 subjects as opposed to the 3-4 at A level back in UK. Albeit he's one of oldest in year he's not the eldest, the Gold Coast being quite transient. I have a friend who left one of her sons behind to complete A levels and he came over when he finished. Who knows? Maybe give your daughter the option rather than forcing her

She will have completed year 11 so that's good & doesn't want to go to Uni in UK (or Oz) so not too concerned about that bit. It's more about supporting her with understandable worries about such a big move & finding others who have been through similar. Things that will help to reduce the worries I guess really.

She will have completed year 11 so that's good & doesn't want to go to Uni in UK (or Oz) so not too concerned about that bit. It's more about supporting her with understandable worries about such a big move & finding others who have been through similar. Things that will help to reduce the worries I guess really.

Australia is quite different though. Just having done yr 11 in UK won't do her any good at all. You need a yr 12 cert to wash dishes these days in Aus and that is the full 2 yr course. The school leaving age in Aus is 17 so she will have to be in education but if it isn't school then you are going to have to fork out international fees for post school options. Going into yr 10 and starting yr 11 in 2015 would probably be the most sensible option but it means she'll be with kids a year younger. At 16 I'd be putting it back on her - how is she going to make things work? If she has interests then she will probably hook up with kids of like mind. On a temporary visa she may struggle to find work so will need to work out how to fill her days

My daughter will be 16 and will complete her Gcse exams in June. We are more than aware that they will not be of any use over in oz, we hope to get her back to a further 2 years at school in Adelaide where she will be able to gain the relevant qualifications PLUS have the opportunity to gather a social network which I believe would be a brilliant start for her. My other daughter is 18 ! And she hopes to start a taffe / uni course. I would NOT have considered leaving them until they had finished, I think the sooner they make new friends out there the sooner they hopefully will settle in. Both my children are keen and have been for the last 5 years, that doesn't stop me worrying about them though.

good luck, I'm sure she will make new friends quickly and forget what all the fuss was about xx

My son will have just got his GCSE results when we move over. The plan is that he will start Year 11 and do the final two years of school over there. We are aware that he will be one of the oldest in the year, but shouldn't be at any disadvantage.

Thanks so much - the last 2 posts fit in with how we feel as education is a lot more than school and this experience is priceless in terms of life/concidence & adventures. She's made some contacts out there now too so she's more positive about it and a bit excited as well as scared. I think she'll get on really well. Good luck to all of you doing the same thing!

There really is no right answer only the right one for your whole family. Such a huge move requires everyone to compromise and consider each other's view. I knew we would all be stronger as a family if we came together but I also knew that my 23 and 19 yr old could do what they wanted and I would have worked around that. The one who struggled was my 13yr old who had been the one who was initially most excited to come. My 10 yr old has fitted in very nicely and just recently my 13 yr old has turned a corner and has admitted she is settling in better. We came with the attitude of doing everything we could to make it work, so we have said yes to every invite, arranged get togethers at home. sleepovers etc.. I've even reluctantly allowed my 13 yr old to have a "gatho" at home with the whole class !!! Supervised by her big brothers who are stricter than me lol it's helping her enormously with fitting in. The only other thing I would say is that going to school even for a few weeks could be worth it. I have a friend who sent her son for the last few weeks of yr 12 and even in that short space of time he made friends and is loving his life over here. Good luck everyone on your adventure :biggrin:

My daughter will be 16 and will complete her Gcse exams in June. We are more than aware that they will not be of any use over in oz, we hope to get her back to a further 2 years at school in Adelaide where she will be able to gain the relevant qualifications PLUS have the opportunity to gather a social network which I believe would be a brilliant start for her. My other daughter is 18 ! And she hopes to start a taffe / uni course. I would NOT have considered leaving them until they had finished, I think the sooner they make new friends out there the sooner they hopefully will settle in. Both my children are keen and have been for the last 5 years, that doesn't stop me worrying about them though.

good luck, I'm sure she will make new friends quickly and forget what all the fuss was about xx

The only caveat I would offer anyone considering moving with kids in their teens is to think very hard about the "what if?" scenarios if their kids want to (or may) go to Uni.

It can be very difficult and/or expensive to get back into the UK education system even if the move doesn't work out and you end up going home; if you haven't been resident in the UK for the 3 years prior to entering UK Uni, you count as a foreign student and have to pay high fees. Also Aus high school qualifications don't translate so easily into Uni entrance scores. So for many a move with teenage kids involves either a commitment to stay in Aus come what may, or understanding that the opportunity to go to Uni may be lost unless you can find the money. Of course, for many/most, moving here does work out, but not for everyone so you have to consider it I think.

This particularly applies to people on 457s, as you will have to pay foreign student Uni fees in Aus as well, and in some states you'll be paying fees for public schools, and of course there's no security of residency with the visa anyway. Quite easy to get stuck up a lack of educational opportunity creek without a paddle if you're not careful

If your kids have no interest in Uni then it's much less of an issue

For your 16 yr old, it might be worth considering a Senior College as opposed to a school - these are places that do Year 11 and 12, and quite a lot of pupils change to them for their final years for various reasons, so your daughter would not be the only 'newbie'. There are a few around Adelaide - USC, Marden, Eynesbury off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are others. Ages vary a lot in senior years as often pupils will skip or redo a year lower down, so you will get kids completing Year 12 who are nearly 19, and others who are only just 17 for example.

For your 16 yr old, it might be worth considering a Senior College as opposed to a school - these are places that do Year 11 and 12, and quite a lot of pupils change to them for their final years for various reasons, so your daughter would not be the only 'newbie'. There are a few around Adelaide - USC, Marden, Eynesbury off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are others. Ages vary a lot in senior years as often pupils will skip or redo a year lower down, so you will get kids completing Year 12 who are nearly 19, and others who are only just 17 for example.

thank you you for your advice. When it comes to my children they are my no 1 priority and will exhaust all avenues when it comes to the best path for them both. I'm certainly not naive or blinkered with regards to the seriousness of this important time for them and will not be making decisions lightly.

that said, it is still my intention to get there ASAP and not wait till they have finished a levels etc, I think the sooner they get chance to meet people the better it can be for them.

A number of school we have contacted about our son joining Year 11 in January have said to contact them when we arrive in September and, if we like them (and they like him!) he could sit the final term in Year 10 so he can met his peers for a term before starting in January. I've found that all the schools we have contacted so far have been really nice and offered good advice. We are looking at private education though, not sure whether it is the same for non-private.

Hi there just in reply to your message I bought our eldest son out here summer after completing his GCE,s with the idea that he would then fit in to another 2 years here I even spoke to the school before I came and explained, we arrived in August my son was the oldest n his year at home so turned 17 in the Sept. When we went to the school for an interview they wouldn't take him owing to the fact he had already done exams ,even though they can stay at school till there 18 here in Queensland. So after enquiring before came and they said that was ok they still dont have to take them. This meant he stayed at home till the following January till he could start Taft. He was very happy and was looking forward to starting school with his 13 year old brother but he .became very down. My sister contacted the education board here and they said the head of the school does not have to take them if they are nearing there 17th birthday. Needless to say he become very depresses withdrawn, he started soccer got a pastime job but never connected here because of no buddies, he is going back to Uk in August mow nearly 19 to try and start again, we are staying here with our other 2 boys which is going to really be upsetting. Make sure you check every avenue out before coming as Tafe has cost us $5000 dollars for his course too that he is just finishing, you will need lots of money if you are coming. I wish you all well on your journey.

Regards

Our daughter was 18 when we came out and she was kicking and screaming until she got here! Now she loves it. She took a couple of weeks to meet anyone but she started an evening job and met people very quickly. Now she is never in! We have only been here for 6 months but she feels at home here and loves it.Everyone has been very friendly which has made it a lot easier. Best of luck :)

We did something very similar with my daughter when she was 16. She is only just now (at 19) realising that her old group of friends no longer exists as a group back in the UK, they have all gone their separate ways - whether uni, college or jobs, and often she is the only point of contact between them all as their lives have really moved on from each other. Don't know how it will be where you will be living, but here in rural NSW the welcome we have had from the locals has been wonderful. There has been no nastiness, only great interest in our accents. Lost count of the times we have been asked to say yoghurt, data or vitamin - and almost everyone says they love our accents. Advise she gets a job as quickly as possible. My daughter got a job at McDonalds, and she loved making friends there. Would agree with the advice about getting on some sort of course.

Archived