I have had my PR visa for nearly 5 years so it is about to expire in 6 weeks. I applied for it before I met my partner. Now we have decided to emigrate to Australia together so he has applied for a de facto visa but hasn't received it yet. There's no real reason why he shouldn't be granted it but anything's possible. Is there any way I can extend my last date of entry until his visa comes through? We are selling the house and this hasn't gone through yet so could this be reason for department to extend visa entry date? I know they're pretty strict about these things but if anyone's got any advice I would be grateful to hear it. Thank you.

No, you can't extend it. To clarify, your visa doesn't expire, however the travel rights on it do so you won't be able to enter on your current visa after 6 weeks. Your options are to come ahead of him before the travel rights expire, or apply for a Resident Return Visa which would allow you to enter at a later date. Eligibility for the RRV would depend on whether DIBP feels you have sufficient reason if you haven't yet immigrated already, so it's not a certainty.

Thanks for your quick reply. I looked up rrv and it says to be granted one you either have to show you have been in Australia for 2 years or show evidence to state you have ties to Australia like a house or job or family. As I have none if these I don't see how I can do that. There is no way if knowing how long my partners visa will take - could be months. Are there no extenuating circumstances I can apply for?

Can he not enter Aus on a tourist visa and wait out till grant time. Plenty do this. He'd have to go off shore every 3 months as part of the tourist visa but if you've been waiting a while, hopefully he'd not need to do this. Then go off shore when visa is due to be granted.

Thanks for your quick reply. I looked up rrv and it says to be granted one you either have to show you have been in Australia for 2 years or show evidence to state you have ties to Australia like a house or job or family. As I have none if these I don't see how I can do that. There is no way if knowing how long my partners visa will take - could be months. Are there no extenuating circumstances I can apply for?

Reading this, it might have been better to have lodged the partner visa on shore. As its off shore, look to him going on a tourist visa. When did he apply for his partner visa? UK ones are currently running at about 8-9 months from lodging. He won't have work rights but at least you'll be in Aus. Or you go on ahead before your time limit expires and he join you a couple of months later and do the same thing still if his visa is not yet granted.

I would seriously consider whether there is anyway you can move before the visa expires. The visa's are getting harder to gain and they are significantly more expensive than when I first looked. Would your partner even be able to get a de facto visa if your visa has expired?

You'll need to be in Australia before your Visa runs out to avoid running into all kinds of problems. Boyfriend can follow you just make sure you can honour all of the genuine and continuing requirements of the partner visa.

I have had my PR visa for nearly 5 years so it is about to expire in 6 weeks. I applied for it before I met my partner. Now we have decided to emigrate to Australia together so he has applied for a de facto visa but hasn't received it yet. There's no real reason why he shouldn't be granted it but anything's possible. Is there any way I can extend my last date of entry until his visa comes through? We are selling the house and this hasn't gone through yet so could this be reason for department to extend visa entry date? I know they're pretty strict about these things but if anyone's got any advice I would be grateful to hear it. Thank you.

I think the authorities would rightly ask why a visa should be extended if the 5 years given were not enough, so the safest option is to come here first - ie now - and avoid the whole predictable hassle you are going to get into in the first place.

Speak to a Registered migration agent regarding the RRV, the reasons that your partner has applied offshore for a partner visa with you as the sponsor that has not been granted yet maybe seen as a compelling factor on why you have not made the move at this point. But you may only get a 1 year RRV, which can be extended once you meet the requirements for a 5 year RRV.

Archived