From PR to Citizenship

Ebrahimmk

Hey all,

I want to apply for citizenship the latest. I was on student visa between Feb 2009 till 2010 then on TR from 2010 to nov2013. I left Australian in 2013 and applied for PR from India and I am back in Australia in April 2014. I have lived in Australia approx 5 years and I got my PR offshore. When can I apply for citizenship? What are the documents required?

Can anyone please help.

Thank you.

It will depend on how long you were outside Australia.

You must:

- have been living in Australia on a valid Australian visa for four years immediately before applying which must include the last 12 months as a permanent resident, and

- not have been absent from Australia for more than one year in total, in the 4 year period, including no more than 90 days in the year before applying.

You can find this information and the documents required on the DIBP website.

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/applying/how_to_apply/conferral_app_process/

Hey all,

I want to apply for citizenship the latest. I was on student visa between Feb 2009 till 2010 then on TR from 2010 to nov2013. I left Australian in 2013 and applied for PR from India and I am back in Australia in April 2014. I have lived in Australia approx 5 years and I got my PR offshore. When can I apply for citizenship? What are the documents required?

Can anyone please help.

Thank you.

I don't know how anyone could even begin to guess on that information. Did you leave on 1st January 2013 or 31st December 2013 or some time inbetween??

Thanks for the replies. I was in Australia from Feb 2009 to Nov2013. Then in India from Nov 2013 to April 2014. Now on PR from April 2014 in Australia. Does that make me eligible to apply for citizenship on April 2015

Dod you hold a visa, any visa, between November 2013 and April 2014?

Based on the information below from the DIBP website, I don't see how you qualify for citizenship at this point.......

Australian Citizenship Act 2007 Residence Requirements

To satisfy the residence requirements you must have:

• 4 years lawful residence in Australia. This period must include 12 months as a permanent resident immediately before making an application for Australian citizenship

Thank you Blossom, So what documents are required to apply?

My earlier post included a link to the DIBP website where you can find this information (although it didn't paste as a hyperlink). You should do some of this research yourself rather than expecting people here to give you all the information you need.

Thanks blossom, I did read stuff on the immi website like they require passport and character certificate. One of friends citizenship got rejected because he didnt have proper Australian references. There are sometimes small things that can affect an application. I am gng to apply after a year and for now just making sure I have all that is needed to apply for citizenship. Can you direct me a website where I can find a proper list of stuff that I need Please.

@Rupert- No didnt hold any Australian Visa between Nov2013 and April 2014. Thanks for asking.

@ColCFC- I am in Australia now. I did google . But it is always good to take other peoples opinion and guidance before doing something. I applied for my PR without an agent and just with the help of this site. Thanks PomsinOZ.

@Seppo- Thanks for your reply. As I mentioned earlier, I am going to apply in April 2015 so yes I still got 12 months to go. But it better to be informed about such things.

My earlier post included a link to the DIBP website where you can find this information (although it didn't paste as a hyperlink). You should do some of this research yourself rather than expecting people here to give you all the information you need.

Thanks MaggieMay24. I surly do my research :)

Archived