Flying to Aus

jacktar

I could't persuade my wife to fly Malaysian even if it was for free and 1st class. I myself would never fly Air France again after our South American expierence.

I have been to Oz before: 1962 Fremantle; 1968 Sydney onboard a RN warship. I expect a lot has changed since then. :-)

Edited by jacktar

Singapore Airlines economy seats on the 380 get bad reviews - too hard and cramped. Thai economy seats have more legroom and are more comfortable.

There are other options available - e.g. China Southern, Asiana, Vietnam Airlines, Air China, Royal Brunei, Al Qataria, Air New Zraland that may also be worth looking at.

Google up 'seat guru' gives seat details on nearly every airline and their fleets, even tells you what movies are on over the next month or two. I use it prior to booking flights so I can at best pick the most desirable seats or at worst avoid the bad seats, in fact just did exactly that last night on booking virgin flights to Los Angeles.

Google up 'seat guru' gives seat details on nearly every airline and their fleets

It also often has woefully out of date information which just confuses people. Particularly for non north American airlines.

I fly on TG a lot and in 2009 I checked out Seatguru for cabin information on the 777-300. Seatguru's seat map did not match what TG showed, in fact it didn't match any aircraft currently in the TG fleet and hadn't done for at least 6 months. In another forum I participate in people would always come along and say..."But, Seatguru says...". So one day I emailed Seatguru a link to the correct seatmap. Thanks they said but after 6 months nothing changed. I emailed them again. Thanks they said. After about 2 years they finally updated the seatmap.

I don't go near it now.

It also often has woefully out of date information which just confuses people. Particularly for non north American airlines.

I fly on TG a lot and in 2009 I checked out Seatguru for cabin information on the 777-300. Seatguru's seat map did not match what TG showed, in fact it didn't match any aircraft currently in the TG fleet and hadn't done for at least 6 months. In another forum I participate in people would always come along and say..."But, Seatguru says...". So one day I emailed Seatguru a link to the correct seatmap. Thanks they said but after 6 months nothing changed. I emailed them again. Thanks they said. After about 2 years they finally updated the seatmap.

I don't go near it now.

Never had a problem with it myself, the problem was always trying to find out exactly what plane you would be on as there can be several configurations for the same plane, for example the Singapore A380 has to my knowledge two layouts with one of them having some 60 economy seats upstairs, but finding out which one you will be on is usually only found out as you are going through the booking process. But at least with some info from seat guru of possible layouts it gives you half a chance of not picking bad seats, and or checking on widths and pitch's the airlines offer.

• 3 months later...
Cathay PE v good! Comfortable seat, dedicated small cabin and food not bad. Route Preferable on safety grounds from Hong Kong to London.

We have already booked with Emirates: Duesseldorf-Dubai-Hong Kong-Brisbane-Singapore-Dubai-Duesseldorf. Three days in HKG and Singers: €2650 for 2.

I wouldn't drive that route either. Drive North from Brisbane (Sunshine Coast, Rainbow Beach and Hervey Bay)

Then fly to Sydney direct from Maroochydore, Sunshine Coast and drive down the NSW coast from Sydney once you have taken in the sights.

I wouldn't drive that route either. Drive North from Brisbane (Sunshine Coast, Rainbow Beach and Hervey Bay)

Then fly to Sydney direct from Maroochydore, Sunshine Coast and drive down the NSW coast from Sydney once you have taken in the sights.

Sounds good, will check it out. We have friends in Sydney and near Adelaide we need to visit: won't be back down under again in this lifetime. [emoji2]

What are the air fares like when flying internally?

Edited by jacktar

Cheap if bought well in advance. :-)

Like many things in life. We can rent a car via the ADAC - German motoring org. - for the duration of our stay - 4 weeks' for €560 but we need to return it to the place of hire. Anyway will check it out.