moving to Act

kellypowter

The Catholic schools generally have quite a good reputation - in PS at least - but like all schools they reflect the suburb and if you can't see yourself living in a particular suburb you won't want to send your kids to school in that suburb. Most people choose a suburb where access to work is going to be easiest (does your OH have a job? That may be key). When you say "home based" do you mean you are going to be mobile? In which case you would want to consider the client cohort you are hoping to attract and be somewhere central to that. Otherwise it's going to be what facilities you want close, what kind of house/garden you want and how much you can afford. You get more bang for your buck house-wise the further out you go but the spin off is that it costs more (time and money) to get anywhere else. http://Www.allhomes.com.au is the place for real estate. http://Www.myschool.edu.au for school comparisons. Personally I'd go for suburbs that are close to big centres and move out but, then, I'm an Inner North girl.

Hi Kelly, I've recently returned back to the UK from Canberra. I lived in Jerrabomberra which is south of Canberra - area is vast with spectacular housing which is great but a little too out of the way and can feel very isolating. What we thought was a good choice in St Gregory's School in Queanbeyan turned sour really - teachers absent, unruly kids, little structure or planning, no homework (at all) and generally below par from what we were used to. I suppose I would recommend Jerra to live, but not this particular School from our experience. I agree with Quoll, the School often reflects the 'hood' it's in.....

Be aware that Schooling costs, and it's very expensive if your on a 457 Visa - the Jerra primary School was over AU$5200 per year per child! We also wanted our Children to attend a Catholic School which was important to us, it just so happened St Gregs was also a lot cheaper. Was one of the reasons why we came home, we couldn't afford to spend AU$5000 for a decent education when it is available at home for free.

Good luck in your decision making.

We're in Wanniassa, with St Anthony's primary followed by St Mary Mackillop within easy walking distance. I don't have personal experience of the schools but I have heard good reports from people who do. We like the area, enough to have bought a house here we plan to stay in for a long while. Happy to tell you more about the area if you're interested - pm if you have any q's.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Have 5yr , 6yrs old where to live renting and really good Catholic school. And I am a home based hairdresser. Any advice welcome.

Hi Kelly

We are living in Bonner and the Good Shepherd primary school is catholic and is fee paying around $80 a week term time. Our son is doing really well there. Hope this helps.

Have 5yr , 6yrs old where to live renting and really good Catholic school. And I am a home based hairdresser. Any advice welcome.

Hi Kelly,

We live in the Woden Valley (Mawson and the Farrer) and initially had our daughter in the local state school (Mawson Primary - she was nearly 6 when we arrived 3 years ago).

Mawson provided surprisingly good education given that it's located in Swinger Hill, a land of maisonettes and small starter homes (it was in the top 3 of Canberra's NAPLAN results in a couple of subjects) but it felt very rough and ready and our daughter wasn't happy there so we moved her to St Peter & Paul's Catholic School in Garran. The school and local area was much nicer but with poorer teaching (teachers only working 4 days a week with a supply teacher covering the fifth day amongst other things) so I probably wouldn't recommend it. If you are thinking of settling in Woden then Farrer Primary is a state school but one of the top rated across Canberra so you could always try that - although you'd need to live close by as it's probably over-subscribed.

• 1 month later...

Hello guys,

just wandering if there is anyone out there that is from the UK, or anyone looking to catch up for a coffee, kids play etc? I have a 6 year old son and 7 year old daughter and live in amaroo. I have lived here for 2 years and looking to meet new people.

let me know if you fancy it

cheers

Faye