Accountant (General) Information Help!?

ferg

Good evening,

This is my first post so apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, but I can't find it. If anyone does have a link, that would be great as well.

So my partner and I are looking to move to Australia, and have been looking at the 189 Skilled Independent Visa. This won't be for a couple of years yet, as we have to aim for something on the SOL. We have been looking at Accountant (general) for my partner, as there is a good chance he can complete the ACCA in 2, possibly 3, years. By that time, he will have:

English: 20 points

Educational: 15 points (I have scouted round and found that ACCA is equivalent to Australian Bachelors)

Obviously he won't have experience working as an Accountant by the time we apply, but is this a problem?

For skills assessment, is just the ACCA enough to claim that? Are people asking about pre-degree experience just because they would like the extra points? Or is it essential he has experience for his skills assessment? I'm having a hard time finding that bit of specific information anywhere.

I also do understand that Accountant (General) may very well not be on the SOL by then, but I'm working towards a degree followed by PGDE which could allow me to apply as Secondary Teacher for 189 visa if need be (again, I know it might go away at anytime!).

I think I got all this out coherently!

Many thanks for any help or pointers anyone can give me. I know it's a long time away(ish) but I would like to know we are on the right track so less chance of problems in the future.

Thanks!

Ferg

:err:

You seem to have done some pretty thorough research and seem to understand the requirements and the potential for possible removal from the SOL.

You're correct about the work experience. The assessing organisations for accountants have no work experience requirements so as long as your partner meets their requirements for subjects studied and has the required points, he should be OK (assuming the rules don't change in the meantime which is always a possibility). The people asking about pre-qualification experience are doing so for points, not for any other reason - you will have 65 points so don't need that. Of course, some work experiecne will be helpful when it comes to finding work but I'm sure you already realise that.

IMO, you're also right about the potential for removal of Secondary School Teacher from the SOL even though it isn't flagged for removal. In fact, I'm somewhat surprised that they haven't already restricted eligibility to teachers in specific teaching areas e.g. physics, maths or one of the other areas where there is a shortage because there's definitely no shortage in most teaching areas - we have a lot of out of work teachers with more graduating every year.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I am in a similar position although I am a single person with a child and a few years ago I decided to aim for my dream and make it real so started to study accounts, that being said I know I am only half way through completing my studies to finally acheiving ACCA (in my final year of AAT which counts towards first 3(?) modules of ACCA) and I have seen that Gen Accounts on the SOL list has been flagged and worried it may come off by the time that I complete my degree. As it is just myself I would have to completly re-train in another field and there is alway that chance it may be removed from the SOL list so this is dissapointing.

What I'm asking is would I be able to apply for a visa/sponsorship is my chosen career is taken off the SOL list?

Also I have done years of research and one thing that comes up all the time for me is the min funds to emirgrate for a single parent is £30,000 apx is this set in stone?

Any help would be great as if I need to rethink my long term plan I need to know asap

#

It has just been announced that no occupations have been taken off the new SOL which will take effect from 1 July 2014 so Accountant is still on there for at least one more year. Even if it is removed in some subsequent year, it's almost certain to remain on the CSOL and would therefore still be eligible for state and employer sponsored visas.

DIBP sets no financial requirements (no 'show money') for any visa though some states have financial requirements for sponsorship eligibility. The amount of £30000 is in no way set in stone but it certainly does represent the kind of funds a single parent should have behind them to get established in Australia. You could probably get by with less but when you consider that you're not eligible for any kind of government income support for your first 2 years in Australia and that you will be up for the cost of private accommodation (you have no chance of getting government housing for several years - waiting lists are very long), you really do need a financial buffer in case of the unexpected.

Thanks for your response Ozmaniac,

I fully apprecite having funds in place is a big thing and I have looked into many differing aspects of moving to Oz, I am able to gain about half the recommended funds through family and about 1/4 through saving and as for gaining goverment housing not to sound rude but that would be the last thing I would want to do, I was going to take 6 months out of studying after completing my AAT Qual but after seeing the issues with accounting gen on the sol list may not take that break and get into my ACCA full steam :) I know the IELTS are valid for two years so depending on my occupation still being on the list I plan to sit them 2016 :)

Thanks again

Archived