Formula to work out cost of moving items...

Kooky

I am pretty sure I read on here some sort of rough formula to work out if it worth shipping an item it can't seem to find it. Anyone advise me what/where it is? I know it involved multiplying the L, H, W then dividing (I think) by something to get the cubic foot, but then it also gave a rough idea of price per cubic foot too. Anyone seen it? :rolleyes:

I am pretty sure I read on here some sort of rough formula to work out if it worth shipping an item it can't seem to find it. Anyone advise me what/where it is? I know it involved multiplying the L, H, W then dividing (I think) by something to get the cubic foot, but then it also gave a rough idea of price per cubic foot too. Anyone seen it? :rolleyes:

I can't help with a formula but I think it comes down to common sense. The only sensible way to ship is to use a MoveCube or, if you need something bigger, a container. Look at the big items in your house. Don't think about what they're worth, think about how much it's going to cost to replace them. Take a look at Ikea to get an idea (ikea.com.au). That will give you the lowest cost - Ikea is much cheaper than other furniture stores in Australia.

So, for instance, a new bed (including mattress etc) will cost you over $1000. A new three-piece suite would cost you at least $2,000. So it may be worth getting a container big enough to fit those, if they're in really good condition. Once you've got a quote and know the size, start working out what else will fit in it. Set priorities for what you'd like to take rather than making hard and fast decisions, because when it comes to actually packing the thing you may find it holds more than you think, or less than you think. Remember you can pack a lot of little stuff in and around things in a container/cube - you can fill the drawers of a chest of drawers, for instance.

I wouldn't take electrical stuff like fridges and washing machines even though they're expensive to buy here. I've tried shipping those internationally in the past and they've always developed niggling little faults after they arrive - but maybe others have some tips on how to avoid that.

Finally, think about how you'll manage while your stuff is in transit. Can you afford to stay in a furnished apartment until the container arrives? If not, could you pack the container a few weeks before your leaving date, and manage to borrow some old furniture to get by with (or move in with the folks?). Working out how to manage in that interim period is important - you may realize that there's no point packing some things, because you'll need to buy replacements anyway.

Thanks cal, thanks marisawright.

We are pretty much going off what you have said marisawright but as I had seen a formula on one of the threads thought it may give me a clearer picture. Not to worry. We have spent the past couple of days sorting, throwing, selling, and packing and seem to be getting it down a bit. It's just we had a couple of quotes and we are needing over 20ft (nearer to 40ft) and are hoping we can get it down to the 20ft mark - seems such a lot of money for a 40ft as we need to ship our camper and our dog too so it's going to cost us a fortune! We will get there I am sure just don't want to end up taking stuff we don't need!

I don't recall any formula. I'm with the above, common sense and practicality.

The average 3 bed house contents usually fits in a sole use 20ft container. If you are shipping a camper van consider other ways than in a container perhaps? Might be cheaper. Ironchef on here has a good thread on car shipping and can give you prices. If you ship it in a container you won't get much else in and may well be looking at 40ft over 20 ft. Or if it goes in a container and you've a bit left, look to a MoveCube for the rest to keep costs down. You have options for both, so don't just think removal company is the only way forward.

No the camper is going roll on roll off. It's our belongings getting near to the 40ft mark! We will just have to reduce what we take I think, we are beginning to so just have to get a little more ruthless I think!

No the camper is going roll on roll off. It's our belongings getting near to the 40ft mark! We will just have to reduce what we take I think, we are beginning to so just have to get a little more ruthless I think!

Wow, thats a lot of stuff then. I'd start getting really ruthless.

Wow, thats a lot of stuff then. I'd start getting really ruthless.

:laugh: I know we are a nightmare for not chucking out. That doesn't even include any kitchen appliances etc! It's pretty therapeutic though going through and getting rid. I am quite enjoying it

Kooky, interested in what camper are you bringing?

Hi wen it is a VW T5. Worke out that if we count up it's worth plus shipping and firing air con we could only get an equivalent or less over there and we know (and love) our van, it had a new engine about 4 years ago, we know the stuff needing doing etc. whereas if we buy another over there we will be taking a gamble at how good the insides are. We are getting the air con fitted there as apparently they use different ones (more powerful I think).

The way to work out cubic feet is to measure item hight width length in inches then multiply three then divide by 1728 gives item size in cubic feet. Example chest of drawers. 48 high 36 wide 24 deep. So 48 x36x24= 41472 / 1728 = 24 feet. Then multiply by pound per foot rate from mover to aus should be £4.90 area. So cost is 24 x £4.90 = £117.60 To ship. Hope you follow. To get your mover cubic feet rate divide price by est volume. Example. £2470 for 504 cubic feet = £ 4.90 per foot.

Hi wen it is a VW T5. Worke out that if we count up it's worth plus shipping and firing air con we could only get an equivalent or less over there and we know (and love) our van, it had a new engine about 4 years ago, we know the stuff needing doing etc. whereas if we buy another over there we will be taking a gamble at how good the insides are. We are getting the air con fitted there as apparently they use different ones (more powerful I think).

We have a VWT5 too but will need to sell her to generate funds. I love my van, had her for over 4 years. I looked into bringing her as well but hubby said no:-(

Although she's not on the market until we have a visa in our sticky mitts:-)

Oh no Wen! So sorry to hear that. Will you need to buy a car/van over there? After many months debating we realised that we would have to buy a vehicle of some sort (eventually 2) and buying one was going to probably work out not much different as getting the van over plus all our holidays are now sorted having the van with us! One of the things that swayed us was looking at the cost of VW T4/5s in oz and to buy an equivalent one was going to cost anywhere between 45-60 dollars! In the end it seemed worth while to take it. I guess we are lucky though our funds to get us there are from our equity and we are ok. Hope things turn out different and you manage to keep her xxx

Oh no Wen! So sorry to hear that. Will you need to buy a car/van over there? After many months debating we realised that we would have to buy a vehicle of some sort (eventually 2) and buying one was going to probably work out not much different as getting the van over plus all our holidays are now sorted having the van with us! One of the things that swayed us was looking at the cost of VW T4/5s in oz and to buy an equivalent one was going to cost anywhere between 45-60 dollars! In the end it seemed worth while to take it. I guess we are lucky though our funds to get us there are from our equity and we are ok. Hope things turn out different and you manage to keep her xxx

We looked at the converted campers when we were there on holiday. I was shocked at the price! Then, I worried about about the cost of parts and repair. I will be very sad as it will be the end of an era...although secretly me and my eldest want a T2 kombi:-) Hubby wants something bigger for motorbikes etc. lol..

She's been good to us and we've had some fantastic times in her, met and made some awesome friends, who I will miss.

xx

Archived