Beware medical jobs in Queensland.

DrNemo

I can't help but notice there are recently a lot of senior medical jobs being advertised for Queensland. This is not a specific dig at the recruiters but please be aware that there is currently a great state of flux for senior medical staff in Queensland. The Government is try to re-write the contracts unilaterally and I believe 1/3 of the Consultant level body has signed resignation letters if this cannot be sorted. Potential terms and conditions are vastly inferior to other states and due to the fact that with timings of AHPRA processing etc almost all Doctors come at least initially on 457 visas you could be very vulnerable indeed.

Please see the DNUK forums, and these links for further information.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/frightened-surgeons-fear-retribution-from-queensland-health-over-pay-contract-dispute/story-fnihsrf2-1226875747192#social-commentshttp://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/frightened-surgeons-fear-retribution-from-queensland-health-over-pay-contract-dispute/story-fnihsrf2-1226875747192#social-comments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7hq4jBpkmk&feature=youtu.be

As a senior medic it is huge decision to uproot and move across the globe most likely with family in tow. Please ensure you have your eyes open to what is currently happening regarding contracts and job security in Queensland before considering a move.

Let us be very clear about this - our professional bodies have reinforced the advice that no-one should apply for a job in Queensland without first having a very good think about the implications. The QLD government is taking a wrecking ball to the health services, and doctors are going to lose out in many ways.

Put another way - don't go there yet.

Not exactly unbiased articles there. Sorry but sounds like a couple of doctors trying to scare others off in order to improve their own bargaining power...?

I don't for a minute believe that accountants are going to start making decisions about patient care. As far as I can see, this is entirely about employment contracts, nothing to do with patients, so why say it is.

Not exactly unbiased articles there. Sorry but sounds like a couple of doctors trying to scare others off in order to improve their own bargaining power...?

I don't for a minute believe that accountants are going to start making decisions about patient care. As far as I can see, this is entirely about employment contracts, nothing to do with patients, so why say it is.

Exactly, and I believe that's how a lot of us here in qld feel. Let's hope they do not give into them. I've lost a lot of respect for some general practitioners here that have arrived in qld to work( not all) . I believe their service and professionalism has got terrible in recent years. Some I would even go as far as to label them incompetent in their profession.

Sadly a lot of the decisions regarding patient care are made by people who have no clinical knowledge or background - they're just business men/accountants looking to save the $. A colleague who has worked at senior nurse level was unable to secure permanent employment in QLD and returned to WA.

I certainly didn't read two disgruntled Doctors trying to improve their own bargaining power as I was able to put it into 30 years experience of working with the public health sectors

Sadly a lot of the decisions regarding patient care are made by people who have no clinical knowledge or background - they're just business men/accountants looking to save the $. A colleague who has worked at senior nurse level was unable to secure permanent employment in QLD and returned to WA.

I certainly didn't read two disgruntled Doctors trying to improve their own bargaining power as I was able to put it into 30 years experience of working with the public health sectors

If only medical staff did have more input, too many bean counters in all health services and not enough indians.

I appreciate that many may not agree with the battle currently going on between the Doctors and Queensland Health however my main intention is to flag this up to potential SMOs so that they go in with their eyes open. This has got to the point where the AMA is advising not to take up contracts in Queensland and some Royal Colleges (who oversee training of doctors up to Consultant/SMO level) are also advising junior doctors against training contracts in Queensland.

Actually, Rupert, yes they are. I have it straight from the horses mouth: there are only 2 issues of interest to the administrators of healthcare: FTEs and budget. Healthcare actually comes a distant "also ran" down the chain. But hey! What does the AMA know?

Actually, Rupert, yes they are. I have it straight from the horses mouth: there are only 2 issues of interest to the administrators of healthcare: FTEs and budget. Healthcare actually comes a distant "also ran" down the chain. But hey! What does the AMA know?

It's all sounding horribly familiar...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ayan05

Yeah well i think In the Queensland public sector, the annual base wage for a registered nurse or midwife (Nurse Grade 5) at graduate starting level is $60,183.

Archived