Claiming tax back UK

nic1171

Just wondering if anyone knows how long it takes to get any tax back from Uk? I filled in the appropriate forms last Dec, having ceased working last August. I figured I would be patient until end of financial tax year but now I'm getting a little impatient!

There is no way that you would have got a rebate before the tax year ended IMO and that was last weekend. Do you not have to complete a tax return for the whole year to get a rebate? The tax office needs to know that you had no other UK income from any source after August before calculating any rebate. It is not just about PAYE.

Thanks for comments guys. I did think I would maybe have to wait GGS but there's Matty got his! I rang HMRC office and they informed what form I had to fill in which I did and now it's 4 month on! Will wait till end of April and maybe email or ring.

When I stopped working to be a full time stay at home mum and my maternity leave finished I applied to HMRC for a refund of my tax and they paid it out to me within about a month or 6 weeks. I would call HMRC and ask if they have received your form as it seems like quite a while to have to wait (but then again with end of financial year they may be overly busy and just not had the time to process it). In any event a phone call will help steer you in the right direction and perhaps let you know if you have to resubmit the forms.

If you were paying tax on PAYE on a cumulative tax code (not a month1 code) then almost anyone will get a tax rebate because you will only have had a portion of your tax allowance. In your case 9 months. If you are a basic rate taxpayer it will work out as a few hundred pounds being 20% of one quarter of your annual tax allowance. Worth having though.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Hi,

I'm moving to Queensland from UK in November .. Great thread by the way, very useful.. Does anyone know whether I would need to maintain a UK bank account in order to receive any tax refund due? How does this part usually work? Thanks.

I suspect that there will be a number of good reasons for maintaining a UK bank account of which this is but one. We will certainly retain one.

Guest Guest98336

I will be keeping an account for a number of reasons so can't comment...

I did confirm with HMRC that we are entitled to the full year's tax allowance.

Complete a P85 form...

Hi nic1171,

Thanks for the info, it's always good to know what your options are. The account i'm thinking of keeping open in UK has deposit limits on it which will more than likely be exceeded by the amount I would expect to receive. Good to know that there are alternatives.. Thanks again.. :)

Archived