Ielts exam Saturday!!! Arghhh!!!

Nursebucko

Hey everyone!

i have my ielts exam on Saturday and I'm proper cracking it!! Lol

i feel like we have been waiting to get this process started for so long.. The pressure is mounting! I am doing the academic one as I need maximum points for the visa. So this is a score of 8 or higher isn't it?

Just in case I don't, I can't remember my options...I need ielts for anmac and the visa. Can anyone help?

Many thanks

sarah

The best advice I had was to:

1. Make sure you cover all the points (read the question several times)

2. have an introduction and a conclusion (separate paragraphs)

3. Use an opening sentence and closing one within each separate paragraph you write

4. Devote a new paragraph to each new argument or topic

(all applicable to writing test - and you cannot get above a 7 if you miss any of them out)

The listening test was really straightforward if you are a natural English speaker, as was the speaking test - for this you are prompted to answer the examiners scripted questions.

The reading test was my personal achilles heel as I hated the true/false/not given questions - still gives me nightmares. I would get online and download practice papers and practice. practice, practice.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

I got an overall mark of 9

Cath x

Hi

my OH has not long sat and passed the ielts..7s at academic level is enough for anmac and 8s at any level is what is needed for the maximum points for the visa, so if you get 8s first time then ideal but if you don't you can book the general and try get the 8s that way, I'm sure will get what you need first time though. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone! I got overall 8.5 on academic. So thought I was in the clear then realised I had 9 for listening, 9 for speaking, 8.5 on writing but got bloody 7 for reading!! Grrr!

So I have enough for anmac, thankfully so can get started on that now. But need to rebook a general one now for the visa.

How annoying!! X thanks for all the advice guys!

Do the practice papers and listening tests on the IELTS website. That set me up to breeze through. Good luck.

Hi Cath!

Congrats on your set of 9s!

English is not my native language and I'm really finding it difficult to do well in my speaking tests. I have appeared twice already and it really feels awful to know, I am falling short on this component. I think its more to do with me getting a bit too nervous during the test.

Would you be able to help me in wading through this? I believe talking to an native English speaker could possibly help me simulate the exam environment in the hopes of getting comfortable with the speaking test.

You reckon we could skype or do on online meeting a couple of times or so where you act as an examiner and ask me questions eventually giving me some valuable feedback?

Cheers,

G!

The best advice I had was to:

1. Make sure you cover all the points (read the question several times)

2. have an introduction and a conclusion (separate paragraphs)

3. Use an opening sentence and closing one within each separate paragraph you write

4. Devote a new paragraph to each new argument or topic

(all applicable to writing test - and you cannot get above a 7 if you miss any of them out)

The listening test was really straightforward if you are a natural English speaker, as was the speaking test - for this you are prompted to answer the examiners scripted questions.

The reading test was my personal achilles heel as I hated the true/false/not given questions - still gives me nightmares. I would get online and download practice papers and practice. practice, practice.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

I got an overall mark of 9

Cath x

Hi Cath!

English is not my native language and I'm really finding it difficult to do well in my speaking tests. I have appeared twice already and it really feels awful to know, I am falling short on this component. I think its more to do with me getting a bit too nervous during the test.

Would you be able to help me in wading through this? I believe talking to an native English speaker could possibly help me simulate the exam environment in the hopes of getting comfortable with the speaking test.

You reckon we could skype or do on online meeting a couple of times or so where you act as an examiner and ask me questions eventually giving me some valuable feedback?

Cheers,

G!

Hi Cath!

Cheers,

G!

Sorry I am new to the forum so accidentally replied to your message on the thread instead of Cath's but I wouldn't mind having some help of you for that matter if its ok with you..

IELTS-simon.com is a good website which is free and I found this very useful.

I. Sat my IELTS yesterday, everything went well apart from the reading which I felt was a total disaster. It was just the luck of the day on what paper you will get, unfortunately mine was quite complex, everyone I spoke to said the same, they felt they hadn't done well in it at all.

Guest james huddersfield
IELTS-simon.com is a good website which is free and I found this very useful.

I. Sat my IELTS yesterday, everything went well apart from the reading which I felt was a total disaster. It was just the luck of the day on what paper you will get, unfortunately mine was quite complex, everyone I spoke to said the same, they felt they hadn't done well in it at all.

Don't worry it will turn out OK - partner felt the same way about the reading part but passed it OK. She said the worst part was waiting around feeling like the only English person there!!

Guest Guest95262

Why do the academic paper? you don't have to for extra points you just need to get 8 or over in the general paper

Don't worry it will turn out OK - partner felt the same way about the reading part but passed it OK. She said the worst part was waiting around feeling like the only English person there!!

Hahaah I know what you mean, there was just me and 1 other lady who were native English. I felt really uncomfortable stood in the queue lol, and they were so rude as well, the examiners had to constantly ask them to be quiet and not do this and that, it was so annoying.

good to see your well on your way now !! Your not far from us, we live in slaithwaite ! Where does your wife work ??

I think Cath had a tutor herself so she may be able to help you with their details xx

Any native speaker I believe could help perhaps. I have lived in the UK for 4 years. This was some 4 years ago for my MSc degree. This test would have been easier to take back then as I was pretty confident about speaking in English. Since I have moved to Dubai, UAE I have noticed I barely use English to that extent anymore.

Highly likely that just a couple of practice sessions over Skype with a native speaker can bump-up my confidence.

Guest james huddersfield
Hahaah I know what you mean, there was just me and 1 other lady who were native English. I felt really uncomfortable stood in the queue lol, and they were so rude as well, the examiners had to constantly ask them to be quiet and not do this and that, it was so annoying.

good to see your well on your way now !! Your not far from us, we live in slaithwaite ! Where does your wife work ??

Hi,

Yes, other half said she hated every minute of it! She teaches at a high school in Halifax. How about you guys, where are you on the skilled migration list?

Funny, I grew up in Crimble and my Dad lives there!

Hi,

Yes, other half said she hated every minute of it! She teaches at a high school in Halifax. How about you guys, where are you on the skilled migration list?

Funny, I grew up in Crimble and my Dad lives there!

Im a nurse so I shouldn't have too much trouble finding a job, may not be the one I want to start off with but my priority is to just get the ball rolling out there ASAP. I can't apply for permanent residency as i don't have enough years experience plus as I'm 44 age is against me for those much needed extra points, hence why I HAVE to get 8's to gain the extra points. We have been advised to go for the state sponsored visa, certainly not my first choice but we have to go with it. We will have to bite the bullet and just go with it, then once the 2 years are up we shall apply for permanent residency.

got excited today as I arranged certain aspects I.e. Nursing registration papers to be sent to Oz, sorted out the 'notary' to sign my documents.... Got few things together and so it shouldn't really take too long .... My ideal would be to be in Oz by January, start of the new school term for my girls ....

Im a nurse so I shouldn't have too much trouble finding a job, may not be the one I want to start off with but my priority is to just get the ball rolling out there ASAP. I can't apply for permanent residency as i don't have enough years experience plus as I'm 44 age is against me for those much needed extra points, hence why I HAVE to get 8's to gain the extra points. We have been advised to go for the state sponsored visa, certainly not my first choice but we have to go with it. We will have to bite the bullet and just go with it, then once the 2 years are up we shall apply for permanent residency.

got excited today as I arranged certain aspects I.e. Nursing registration papers to be sent to Oz, sorted out the 'notary' to sign my documents.... Got few things together and so it shouldn't really take too long .... My ideal would be to be in Oz by January, start of the new school term for my girls ....

Hey, sounds like we are at similar stages. I've been busying myself with anmac stuff today, trying to book notary etc. It's all so exciting.. But I'm also getting inpatient now I just want to get out there!

Im also booking my second ielts test but general this time, fingers crossed I nail it this time! Grrr! I'm like you, due to age I need the highest level of ielts for the points .

I have just started a new nursing post and i daren't ask my new boss for a professional reference yet!? I don't really want her to know yet... Do you think they would accept my last job ? Or do you think they would need both old and current?

Archived