North Lakes to Brisbane Commute

sp4rkman

My husband, 3yr old daughter and I have just arrived in Brisbane and are currently in a holiday let looking for a longer term rental.

We like the look of North Lakes. My husbands office is based in Fortitute Valley but is very customer based (all around the city) so he needs his car to commute from day to day.

Does anybody do this commute regularly? How do you find it?

He's spent hours travelling the M3 from Fleet into London and would really prefer to avoid that kind of disastrous commute.

Thank-you.

Not a good commute from what I've heard from people who live there can be around an hour.

North Lakes seems very popular with poms though so obviously appeals for whatever reason. Personally I can think of nicer suburbs closer in which would be similar price range

Not a good commute from what I've heard from people who live there can be around an hour.

North Lakes seems very popular with poms though so obviously appeals for whatever reason. Personally I can think of nicer suburbs closer in which would be similar price range

So what suburbs come to mind??

Personally I'd look at Places Like Ferny Hills, or maybe even out at Samford Village, Bracken Ridge, Or most the suburbs on the two train lines which head northwards.

There's is only selected places in brisbane surrounds like northlakes. They would be Springfield lakes , yarrabilba, forest lake, northlakes and a few smaller versions. Delfin make these suburbs great set ups for families and I see why they are so popular. I can't see you getting value for money that you would get at northlakes anywhere closer to brisbane . Can still get good packages in northlakes. Peak hour can be a pain but I've seen worse. Traffic moves.

It's a hard commute. My colleague does it and she does long days to avoid the traffic (5.30am start - if she leaves later than 6 she says the traffic slows down a lot).

Recommend you you get closer to Brisbane. Sandgate, Shorncliffe areas are v v nice and right by the sea with good access to the city by road and train. Ferny Grove way also nice.

Good luck.

... I can't see you getting value for money that you would get at northlakes anywhere closer to brisbane . ...

I guess it depends on your criteria when judging value for money....certainly plenty of closer places with similar, or even cheaper, housing I would have thought ?

There's is only selected places in brisbane surrounds like northlakes. They would be Springfield lakes , yarrabilba, forest lake, northlakes and a few smaller versions. Delfin make these suburbs great set ups for families and I see why they are so popular. I can't see you getting value for money that you would get at northlakes anywhere closer to brisbane . Can still get good packages in northlakes. Peak hour can be a pain but I've seen worse. Traffic moves.

I wasn't saying Suburbs that were similar to North Lakes, I was suggesting similar priced suburbs in better locations to the city.

Was up in North Lakes friday night. Had a decent meal at the pub, however the size of the people was somewhat surprising though. Not sure the outdoor lifestyle is all it's cracked up to be there

I guess it depends on your criteria when judging value for money....certainly plenty of closer places with similar, or even cheaper, housing I would have thought ?

Depends on if you want a new build or not.i could put a new build in northlakes cheaper than I could in say sandgatefor example. Delfin estates offer a good family lifestyle IMO that you don't see in a lot of general suburbs . They are built with this purpose.Brits should check out Yarrabilba as well on south side. Going to be better than delfins other releases. First stage already has a water park for the kids. Already plenty Brits buying there. Can still get a 4 bedroom, 2 bathroom , 2 x garage media room for $300000 . Possible to find cheaper but I just don't think it offers what these Delfin estates do. My opinion though.

It's not good. I only come a short way up and down the Gympie Road and it is a nightmare especially on a Friday arvo. I have tried all the back routes and it is no quicker either.

I would look at closer suburbs definitely. Still wouldn't be quick but the likes of McDowall and Bridgeman Downs are nice. A good option would be to be close to a train line like Ferny Grove (although Ferny Hills is supposed to be a bit nicer), Sandgate or Shorncliffe.

Listen to local radio. In fact, this is a good tip to people who are still in the UK. You can get, for example 97.3 over the internet. Listen to the traffic reports between 6:30 and 8:30. It's always the same bottlenecks. Bald Hills to Nudgee in the morning, Nudgee to Bald Hills in the afternoon. They might as well just record the traffic report as jingles.

Although Sandgate has a train line, if your husband need to drive to clients, this won't help, unless he can take the train on client-less days and tolerate the traffic otherwise. North Lakes is about 15 mins further up the track than Sandgate, assuming no hold ups.

Depends on if you want a new build or not.i could put a new build in northlakes cheaper than I could in say sandgatefor example. Delfin estates offer a good family lifestyle IMO that you don't see in a lot of general suburbs . They are built with this purpose.Brits should check out Yarrabilba as well on south side. Going to be better than delfins other releases. First stage already has a water park for the kids. Already plenty Brits buying there. Can still get a 4 bedroom, 2 bathroom , 2 x garage media room for $300000 . Possible to find cheaper but I just don't think it offers what these Delfin estates do. My opinion though.

Yeah it does all come down to personal preferences. Personally, I feel day to day family life is better served by a shorter commute, specially when trying to juggle young children, childcare, both parents finding work close enough to make it home quickly, better public transport, access to cycle commuting, access to jobs etc. I also prefer the established parks and access to facilities and other places in the older suburbs. Again though, as you say, it is personal preference and people should consider both.

This may be of some help to some:

10039083913_abed8b35d4_b.jpg

Agree with what most people have said. We stayed in mango hill (just next to north lakes when we arrived) and were there for about 6 weeks in total until we could move. I commuted to the mater hospital (south brisbane) and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Gympie road is a nightmare.

There is a train station being built at north lakes at the mo so I don't know how that will affect all those commuting.

i would personally look closer to, plus there is so much going on in brisbane city/southbank all the time, it's a shame to miss out being so far away.

We live about 15mins from the city and love the lifestyle being closer to everything.

Agree with what most people have said. We stayed in mango hill (just next to north lakes when we arrived) and were there for about 6 weeks in total until we could move. I commuted to the mater hospital (south brisbane) and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Gympie road is a nightmare.

There is a train station being built at north lakes at the mo so I don't know how that will affect all those commuting.

i would personally look closer to, plus there is so much going on in brisbane city/southbank all the time, it's a shame to miss out being so far away.

We live about 15mins from the city and love the lifestyle being closer to everything.

Yeah so many great things to do in the city it would be a shame to miss. Living in Northlakes is like living in a seperate town I would imagine. Nobody I know from that area really ventures into the city often.

Where are you now?

Hi,

Don't go Northside. The traffic is terrible! Have a look at Carindale, Cooparoo, somewhere like that maybe. Oxley and Sherwood are improving too. All the best.

I've always found southside traffic worse. Can't say i've ever had a trouble free trip to the gold coast

Total gridlock until Logan

My husband, 3yr old daughter and I have just arrived in Brisbane and are currently in a holiday let looking for a longer term rental.

We like the look of North Lakes. My husbands office is based in Fortitute Valley but is very customer based (all around the city) so he needs his car to commute from day to day.

Does anybody do this commute regularly? How do you find it?

He's spent hours travelling the M3 from Fleet into London and would really prefer to avoid that kind of disastrous commute.

Thank-you.

The train line is under way at Mango Hill (next to North Lakes Tavern) so that will hep congestion. Plus there are going to be traffic lights installed with special cameras on them to allow for better flow of traffic onto the highway at North Lakes to cut down on the congestion caused by the amount of traffic from there entering the highway at peak times. These are coming soon. These two measures will make a big difference to the congestion.

North Lakes is just so far out of Brisbane that will you really get to enjoy what it has to offer?

It's a similar distance as Coventry to Birmingham or Southampton to Portsmouth or Doncaster to Sheffield or Watford to London. Plus Aussie trains aren't exactly fast, it takes 15 mins to reach my suburb from central which is 4 stops. It would take way over an hour to go to North Lakes I imagine

Archived