Universities

Guest51810

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coventry is ok - I went to uni there (not Cov uni though) I lived on campus and then in Leamington which I loved. I also ended up working in Coventry for 10 years before moving here. I didn't live in Coventry though and there are some lovely areas within 20-30 minutes of the City.

Not sure about your area of healthcare but Coventry has the University hospital which is a teaching one I believe - it's very modern these days.

What about physiotherapy?

I did look at that as well, god I've been through them all lol. I got to see a bit of physio when I was doing my OT shadowing because they work together a lot of the time and I got a tour round the school first time so got to see the physio department. I'm not just saying this but I'm honestly not smart enough for that, too much science/biology I think although maybe nursing is just as bad? I know that I would still need to do anatomy and physiology for OT obviously but I think i need a different access course for physio, different units anyway.

Nursing was my first ever choice before I knew about OT but the maths always put me off, I was worried i would muck up a drug calculation. I'm really interested in mental health though, I would want to do that in OT but I've been told by two people now that it's not as common

Stacey, whilst your deciding have you thought about picking up a cheap second hand nursing calculations book off Amazon to help you decide?

I think it would help boost your confidence.

I finished my 30 minute test in 2 minutes and got 100% year after year. It really is easy.

Where can you see yourself working in the future? What kind of environment?

I think you've got to go with your heart sometimes don't you....I hummed and haaaad about my course and I'd already been accepted but in the end I just thought I love nutrition, food, biology and would hate to be stuck in a Lab doing tests all day as a microbiologist so I stayed with my heart.

I think in mental health you will study biophsychology which is quite detailed, possibly biological sciences. Not sure what else xxx

I am MH and I have never heard of biophyschology?!?!?

I studied Biology in the first year but they uni were really good in teaching that! I got 80% on my exam!

We touch on biology, accountability, law, ethics, communication, recovery, social sciences, care management and delivery off the top of my head.

After the first year, its more psychology based.

A few OSCEs in blood pressure, injections, hand hygience etc.

Placements range from dementia, community, forensics, acute etc...

Have a look on the NHS jobs website at OT and MH nursing roles and see where you see yourself after qualifying. Work backward!

I studied Biology in the first year but they uni were really good in teaching that! I got 80% on my exam!

We touch on biology, accountability, law, ethics, communication, recovery, social sciences, care management and delivery off the top of my head.

Have a look on the NHS jobs website at OT and MH nursing roles and see where you see yourself after qualifying. Work backward!

My friend was supposed to be giving me a look at some of her coursework just so I could see but she hasn't yet. She didn't like nursing though so I can't really ask her much, she doesn't talk about it very often.

I've been on loads of YouTube videos for both OT and nursing the last few days. That's me spoken to two mental health nurses this weekend and you as well :biggrin: plus I ask counting stars loads about nursing, she must be ready for killing me :laugh: I've been on loads of websites too, both uni and nhs type things.

I'm just about to go look at some drug calculation stuff like you mentioned. I'm not 100% sure but I think I'd like to work with people with addictions. That would be interesting

Stacey if you go with physio you would earn a fortune here in Oz. I also know lots of OTs who work in Special Education schools here not a bad life - 12 weeks holiday and they work 9 - 3 pm for full time excellent money

You sound like you have done so much research no wonder your head is spinning. I would suggest taking a week away from decision making and the decision will come to you.

Again, no reason to discount either option, enjoy your access and I am sure as the course progresses you will find your strengths. Have you any opportunities to have an insight in MH? Perhaps a private hospital?

Stacey if you go with physio you would earn a fortune here in Oz. I also know lots of OTs who work in Special Education schools here not a bad life - 12 weeks holiday and they work 9 - 3 pm for full time excellent money

It was a special education school that I went to for my OT work experience. It was good, definitely quite laid back. Well they had quite a lot of paperwork to do I think but other than that. Like you say - long holidays too which is a plus. I just don't know wether I'd prefer varied hours especially as nurses can do more hours for extra money. I'm so twisted sometimes lol no doubt I'd be moaning that I wanted less hours

You sound like you have done so much research no wonder your head is spinning. I would suggest taking a week away from decision making and the decision will come to you.

Again, no reason to discount either option, enjoy your access and I am sure as the course progresses you will find your strengths. Have you any opportunities to have an insight in MH? Perhaps a private hospital?

I haven't contacted any MH hospital but I did contact another hospital about OT and they wouldn't let me shadow them so I imagine MH would be even less likely but maybe someone would be even willing to answer a few questions and that might help a bit

Ah I meant in Access Course, not uni....I've done it. Havnt got a clue what modules you'd study at Uni....I guess biophsychology is more about how the biological aspects of the body interact with each other and have effects on the mental state such as Chemoreceptors and hormones, adrenaline, drug use etc xx

Ah I meant in Access Course, not uni....I've done it. Havnt got a clue what modules you'd study at Uni....I guess biophsychology is more about how the biological aspects of the body interact with each other and have effects on the mental state such as Chemoreceptors and hormones, adrenaline, drug use etc xx

For my access course I picked two biology units and the rest are kinda psychology related like understanding human behaviour etc but I might change one for another biology unit just incase I do nursing. I found my old biology book from ages ago so I better have a look at that lol x

Biophsychology is under Biological aspects of Health and Disease I think.. Well, on distance learning centre it is, I don't know if you're with a different centre. It covers stuff like the nervous system and endocrine system and how they interact...its really interesting xxxx

Biophsychology is under Biological aspects of Health and Disease I think.. Well, on distance learning centre it is, I don't know if you're with a different centre. It covers stuff like the nervous system and endocrine system and how they interact...its really interesting xxxx

I was going to go with the distance learning centre but I ended up with the AOLL. It's one of the tutors who worked for the DLC.

Just checked and my units are - structure and function of the body, musculoskeletal system, health and illness, explanations of human behaviour and psychological disorders. They aren't set in stone yet so I might change one of them

They don't do OT there, i think there's around 29 or 30 uni's that do. Was trying to find the list there to put up. I'm not going to study in Scotland though if I do OT because it's 4 years here.

I wish I could decide between OT and mental health nursing :(

Every time I decide definitely OT a day later I go back to nursing. I think it's because there's more opportunities for nurses and more chance to earn extra money etc. OT seems to be very much a 9 - 5 job, I was talking to a mental health nurse today from my town who moved to Australia and asked him if they had OT's at his last place which was a secure psychiatric hospital and he said the OT's there still did 9-5. I thought that would of been one of the places they would do varied hours.

The good thing is my access course covers both of them so I still technically have a while to decide but I want to decide asap, it's driving me mad.

I know you say you dont want to consider Scottish Universities because that the courses are longer - but in My personal experience when I applied to University - I got conditional offers from the Scottish Universities and was rejected from the English Universities.

After I graduated from my undergrad, I wanted to do the postgrad in Physiotherapy, I had a 2:1 honours degree in Sport Science which was mostly a Biomedical Science degree with few sports science courses. I was rejected from the English Universities courses but got interviews for the Scottish Universities. I ended up not going physio and went traveling to Australia instead.

My postgrad that I did 4 years later was in Surveying, again at a Scottish university. I decided against physio in the end due to the difficulty for graduates to get jobs to complete the rotations that they require.

My friends at school (many moons now)got unconditional offers from scottish universities and conditional offers at english ones.

I wouldnt rule out putting a Scottish university on your application.

I know you say you dont want to consider Scottish Universities because that the courses are longer - but in My personal experience when I applied to University - I got conditional offers from the Scottish Universities and was rejected from the English Universities.

After I graduated from my undergrad, I wanted to do the postgrad in Physiotherapy, I had a 2:1 honours degree in Sport Science which was mostly a Biomedical Science degree with few sports science courses. I was rejected from the English Universities courses but got interviews for the Scottish Universities. I ended up not going physio and went traveling to Australia instead.

My postgrad that I did 4 years later was in Surveying, again at a Scottish university. I decided against physio in the end due to the difficulty for graduates to get jobs to complete the rotations that they require.

My friends at school (many moons now)got unconditional offers from scottish universities and conditional offers at english ones.

I wouldnt rule out putting a Scottish university on your application.

Did they give any feedback on your application? If I pick MHN then I'd definitely put a scottish university down. There's actually one like half an hour away from me, it's the University west of Scotland. Not sure how good it is for nursing though. It's just between the extra year for OT and kinda wanting to go away and have a fresh start from here that made me look at England

Did they give any feedback on your application? If I pick MHN then I'd definitely put a scottish university down. There's actually one like half an hour away from me, it's the University west of Scotland. Not sure how good it is for nursing though. It's just between the extra year for OT and kinda wanting to go away and have a fresh start from here that made me look at England

Through UCAS no feed back.

The postgrads not really any feed back, its a few years ago I do remember one uni telling me no but they had places on their MH postgrad. I booked my flights to oz for my WHV a day after I got my rejection letters.

I wanted to go further away but ended up at the Uni 50 miles away on a course that wasnt my first choice either. But in away it was do that or wait another year to be able to apply again and still might not get in.

I hope you get the uni you want - it is many be just my perception but I think it can be harder for scottish students sometimes to get in to english universities. But things have maybe changed as it was a few years ago now, and how UCAS rank students could be different on how it was. Im sure I had 6 choices.

I don't really know that many Scottish people who have studied in England. One girl from school did occupational therapy at York st John and loved it but other than her I actually can't think of anybody else lol. All my friends went to uni's in Glasgow and didn't want to move out from home. I'd rather move out even if it means I have more money to pay back than them

Is the funding for OT the same as nursing?

It has changed recently but nurses would get their £3k tuition fees paid and approx. £6k in bursary/student loan. I think the student loan is £1800 so that's all per year you would have to pay back at the end. That is the English rules though. Im not sure about whether its different if you are from Scotland.

Is the funding for OT the same as nursing?

It has changed recently but nurses would get their £3k tuition fees paid and approx. £6k in bursary/student loan. I think the student loan is £1800 so that's all per year you would have to pay back at the end. That is the English rules though. Im not sure about whether its different if you are from Scotland.

Try looking on SAAS but if you study in England you may be liable for your own fees, where you would get them paid in Scotland.

https://www.saas.gov.uk/full_time/ug/independent/funding_available.htm

Archived