Padstow/Picnic Point Area and Schools

Scott2013

I don't know the area myself (we are in the Shire), but I think that MARYROSE02's brother lives at Picnic Point and he thinks it is pretty nice. I am sure that MARYROSE02 will be along soon with some more advice.

My brother's family have lived in Picnic Point for twenty five years, and I've got to know the area reasonably well too. I guess it compares well with the Shire, and it just depends where you are working, how far and how easy it is to commute, what else you want. The train service from East Hills, Panania, Revesby, Padstow, is good, probably about thirty minutes to the CBD, and about the same going the other way to Campbelltown. My niece and nephew both did their schooling in Picnic Point and East Hills.

All seems to be okay with this area, we looked at the Shire also but wanted to be north of the river as most of my work will be M5/M4 area. Have you moved to Sydney yet or are you due out? We are planning on August/September and house has now been sold so all systems go. Will be looking for schooling for 7 and 14 yr old girls.

• 2 weeks later...
All seems to be okay with this area, we looked at the Shire also but wanted to be north of the river as most of my work will be M5/M4 area. Have you moved to Sydney yet or are you due out? We are planning on August/September and house has now been sold so all systems go. Will be looking for schooling for 7 and 14 yr old girls.

I've been in Sydney for 16 months, have been living with family and renting for the last 10 minths. In the process of selling our UK property to be able to buy something here. Padstow is affordable(ish) but I'm not sold that it is a 'safe' area so we'll be looking a little further out, Gymea, Kirrawee and the likes.

I've been in Sydney for 16 months, have been living with family and renting for the last 10 minths. In the process of selling our UK property to be able to buy something here. Padstow is affordable(ish) but I'm not sold that it is a 'safe' area so we'll be looking a little further out, Gymea, Kirrawee and the likes.

I would never have thought of Padstow as being an unsafe place to live. I've never felt intimidated in any way when I've been there, and I'm not aware of any known 'trouble-spots'. I shall have to ask my brother and his wife as they live in the area. I don't think of Gymea as being unsafe either, but it could have a worse reputation!?

Padstow is an OK suburb, my ex used to live there. However it doesn't have much going for it! Picnic Point is pretty but as you can see on the map, it's a fair drive to anywhere and public transport isn't good.

We lived in Oatley/Mortdale and getting to the M5 took only a few minutes. Lovely area with good schools, good transport, easy to get to the beach too.

I would never have thought of Padstow as being an unsafe place to live. I've never felt intimidated in any way when I've been there, and I'm not aware of any known 'trouble-spots'. I shall have to ask my brother and his wife as they live in the area. I don't think of Gymea as being unsafe either, but it could have a worse reputation!?

I think the point is that they were looking at Gymea and Kirrawee as safer areas, and I'd say they're right. My MIL lived in Gymea and it's a lovely village-y suburb with some nice cafes/restaurants. Because of that, the centre is pretty busy with pedestrians in the evenings so I always felt safe - unlike Padstow, where the centre can get pretty deserted at night so I'd be more anxious about walking around there in the dark (as you would any deserted town centre).

I currently live in Mortdale but its too pricey hence looking a bit further out. My ideal would be Oatley as its beautiful but way out of our price range. A colleague's in-laws live in Padstow and they've told me some of the positivies and negatives. I feel with a young baby I would worry about my wife and the baby as it does seem there is more crime there. Only last week I read in the MX about a guy that stole a blind lady's handbag in Padstow, how low can you get?!

If you are unfortunate enough you can be a victim of crime anywhere and that's the reality but I feel Padstow to be that little bit unsafer. Looked in Riverwood and once we saw it we kept driving on!

You probably do need a car if you want to live in Picnic Point, as it's a good half an hour walk to East Hills, Panania, Revesby, although there is a reasonable bus service during the day, and early evening. The train takes about 30-35 minutes to the city from any of those stations, and about the same from Padstow, one stop closer to the city from Revesby. I guess Campbelltown is about the same distance, the other way. The M5 is a 10 minute drive from Picnic Point, and a pleasant enough drive to the city OUTSIDE peak hour!

If my brother and his wife had not moved to Picnic Point in 1989, I probably would not have any interest in the area, but over the years, I've spent a bit of time there, getting to know it, during the day, evenings, weekends. I joined Revesby Workers Club and Panania Diggers, frequented the pubs and restaurants, cafes and shops. I would have no problem moving there, if it suited my lifestyle.

If you didn't like Riverwood then I wouldn't bother with Padstow. Could you put up with a longer commute? How about going further south still, e.g. Engadine?

Yeah I think you're right, we've discounted Padstow. Yep, looking further afield. The commute isn't the problem for me but we want to be close to as family as possible as the further we move the less likely we are to see them. Family are in inner west.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess you have to find somewhere you like on a,bus, or train route to or thru Inner West, but also somewhere you can afford?

I am on train to work in Penrith from Central, just left 7 Hills, or was it Toongabbie? I see places from.the window that I like look of. There is an estate of semi detached homes at Doonside that remind me of UK. just passed them, next to a bush park. Not,suggesting you move out here if course, tho u get more for yr money.

How about Beverly Hills,.Kingsgrove area? Too dear? Or maybe Hurlstone Park?

Gymea does have that village atmosphere that someone mentioned.

I guess you have to find somewhere you like on a,bus, or train route to or thru Inner West, but also somewhere you can afford?

I am on train to work in Penrith from Central, just left 7 Hills, or was it Toongabbie? I see places from.the window that I like look of. There is an estate of semi detached homes at Doonside that remind me of UK. just passed them, next to a bush park. .

If he's worried about Padstow being safe, I certainly wouldn't recommend Doonside!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived