3rd year nursung student due to finish in dec 14

tothemoon

Hi everyone, I finish my degree in dec '14 (Although officially jan '15) and am really interested in moving to Oz. I would be going on my own as my children are grown up. I would love to do a graduate program as soon as I qualify but I know these are few and far between. I am just trying to gather as much information as I can so that I can look into my options.Would love to hear off people that are doing it now or have already made the move and any advice is more than welcome because it looks a little overwhelming.

Are you doing general nursing? Get a uk job first it will give you more opportunities in aus and you need at least 3 months exp for skills assessment if you want to move permanently...while you are wrking here you can start preperation for visa app

Yes I am doing Adult nursing. I will be 40 when I qualify and I am very aware that if I want to make the move I should start planning very soon. If I get 6 months experience then start the application process would that be better for me than trying to get on a graduate programme? Working my points out it seems I will only have approx. 50 :-( what can I do to improve this? are extra points awarded if the occupation is on the list as one that is in demand?

can I take this before applying for PR and if so how far in advance of applying can I take it? Trying to sort out everything I need so that when I apply everything is ready. x

I really don't think you need to do anything just yet other than focus on completing your course.

IELTS will be essential for your occupation and also because you will need points. In fact I can only get 50 points for you even factoring in full marks for IELTS. (Age - 15, Degree - 15, IELTS - 20). Unless you have something else up your sleeve that I have not considered, I don't see that the permanent skilled migrant visas are going to be an option for you and you would need to get a provisional 489 visa. This visa is not as good, it limits where you can live and work, although as a nurse that would hopefully not be too much of an issue.

Thanks Rupert. I used an online tool and must have made an error. Is there no way I can get extra points for PR? What does the 489 visa mean for me? Where does it restrict you to? I am going to a seminar in may and hope to find out more there.

You could get a 457 sponsored visa..only lasts 4 years though..they will probably tell u abt this at seminar as they are always pushing them on nurses..ok visa for nurses if u have no family. ..and you can apply for pr later from aus...also u dnt NEED ielts for nursing but is the only way to get quick extra points for visa

Thanks Rupert. I used an online tool and must have made an error. Is there no way I can get extra points for PR? What does the 489 visa mean for me? Where does it restrict you to? I am going to a seminar in may and hope to find out more there.

Well you know you better than I know you, so look at the points test and see what you can get. :biggrin:

But I suspect no, you will not be able to get more than 50 by yourself and can only get the other 10 through regional sponsorship. I already mentioned where I think you would get your 50 from, that is Age, Degree and IELTS. Normally a 40 year old would be able to compensate for fewer age points because they have more work experience, but as you have retrained this is not the case for you. If you have a phd up your sleeve, that is another 5 points, also ifyou have a partner that could pass skills assessment then that is another 5 points. Click on the points test link in the below and take a look.

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/189.aspx

If you got regional sponsorship then you get another 10 points taking you total to 60 but you have to apply for the 489 visa. Whilst you are on this visa you have to live in a regional part of the country, so it eliminates most of the state capitals and surrounding suburbs (I think Adelaide is an exception) and other popular locations like the Gold Coast for example. However after you have lived in a regional area for two years and worked one year, you can then apply for a permanent visa, once you have that you are free to live where you please.

If you do go to the seminar, don't let anyone talk you into a 457 visa without looking into the 489 first. Whilst the 489 is not as good as the 189 or 190, it might work for you as a nurse and it is better than a 457. You also don't want to waste years on 457, skilled migration will be out of the question once you are 45.

We are not currently offering pr from a 457 in nsw. My suggestion is to get as much experience as possible before coming, I was just on a panel and we didn't short list anyone with less than a years experience

Yes I think getting experience is good idea too. In fact if OP waited three years, they would get the same age points but would get another 5 points for skilled migration, making a 190 visa an option (assuming everything stays the same).

To the moon, I qualify in Sept and I have resigned myself to gaining 12 months work experience before I fly out, despite spending the last 6 years dreaming of emigrating the day I pass my degree lol... It doesn't seem to scary now though, the years are passing quickly and the UK healthcare system does seem to offer valuable work experience that will be good in Oz. I know in mental health we have a lot more autonomy in the UK, so I am hoping that will help me in progressing in my career in Australia (either that or drive everyone crazy who works with me)!

I am 31 now though, so at 32 years old I too lose the visa points in the age bracket so I have to have my visa app in before then. Lets hope ANMAC don't mess me about. The earliest I can apply is December and my application needs to be in by June! It should be ok, but cutting it close lol!

Good luck finding those points. Keep going over that immi points calculator and look at all your options.

Rupert, if I wait and gain the experience and that only gives another 5 it will still leave me 5 short won't it? so I will still not be able to apply for PR? If I could get on a grad programme straight after qualifying would that give me more than 5 points for Australian experience? is it worth looking into?

Sorry to keep asking questions just trying to cover all possibilities.

If I apply for the 489 visa would I still need the 60 points while in Oz to apply for PR or is it worked out differently if I have 489 then apply? sorry its a little confusing.

Good luck jac2011, I hope it all goes to plan for you. I'm gutted that I miss out on the extra points because of my age. This has also been my dream for many years and the thought of not being able to do it saddens me. I have looked and relooked at the points and can't see anyway of getting the extra. I am now looking into the 489 visa and what that means for me, now and later on. I find it all a little overwhelming and confusing.

Keep us posted on how you get on, I would love to know how it goes for you and where you end up. :-)

Comments in red.

Rupert, if I wait and gain the experience and that only gives another 5 it will still leave me 5 short won't it? so I will still not be able to apply for PR? Yes, that is correct, but then you could get non-regional state sponsorship for the other 5 points and apply for a 190 visa which is PR and has no restrictions.

If I could get on a grad programme straight after qualifying would that give me more than 5 points for Australian experience? is it worth looking into? Yes, it did also cross my mind that a year of Australian experience would give you 5 points as well. Once you have that you could then do the same as above. Realistically though you would have to hope you can get state sponsorship for the state you are already in, so limiting options. Most states do not like sponsoring people that are already living in another state.

Sorry to keep asking questions just trying to cover all possibilities.

If I apply for the 489 visa would I still need the 60 points while in Oz to apply for PR or is it worked out differently if I have 489 then apply? sorry its a little confusing. Yes you need 60 points, but the 489 sponsorship provides 10 of them

Archived