Which way is best for a career in Customs/border protection?

Hi,

My husband is currently in the police service here in the UK, although, when we make the move he would rather not continue that path as he would rather not work nights.

However, his long term aim would be to have a job within customs/border protection, even possibly mail handling.

We have been advised that he cannot pursue this career until he is an Australian citizen, so that gives him 3 years to work in a career that would facilitate a transition to the path he wants to follow.

So my question is… From when we arrive until he is granted citizenship, what path should he follow? Or what jobs would give him the best chance of success in becoming a customs officer?

Any advice both positive and negative would be gratefully received.

Kind regards Cath x

As Quoll says - does he qualify for a visa? Does he have other skills outside the police force? Normally, Police officers transfer to the Police here. It would then take him 4 years to get his citizenship.

Guest Guest66881

I have a friend who was born here served as a police officer and left, did some retraining with job related additions applied for customs work and did not gain entry, no reason given he works as a prison officer now.

Depending on where you move to, he could join the police - WA are recruiting at the moment. How about security - he would need to do some training as security that move cash here are armed.

By the way, it is 4 years to become a citizen, not 3.

Archived