Victoria hardest place to find a job

Petals

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/official-figures-reveal-victoria-has-become-the-hardest-place-on-the-mainland-to-find-a-job-20140402-35yvo.html

Just to keep people informed. This may not affect those who are highly skilled with an occupation in demand but it may affect their partner, wife or husband who is competing with Australians for jobs such as admin, part time, clerical support, secretaries, radiographers saw that we are down by the head with them in Vic in recent article. Teachers another that find it more difficult to get work especially in the state school system unless prepared to go to schools with problems or the remote schools.

Victoria is being affected very badly by the lib gov and always is as it happens but we will come back. Another problem is we are absorbing so many new people from within Australia as why as high migration that there is a lot of competition for jobs.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/boeing-to-cut-300-victorian-jobs-20140402-35z1t.html This comes on the back of Bevilles going into receivership, Phillip Morris moving off shore, BP closing down an operation in another location in Aus.

• 1 month later...

Hi Petals, I am just getting my qualifications ready to submit interest for state sponsorship to Victoria. I am a carpentry and joinery lecturer in the UK. My job is on the list but it doesn't mean I will get one reading all the posts on people struggling to find work for months on end. I an new to the forum and this is actually my first post.

Thank you for your posts on this site, they are factual and eye opening.

Hi Petals, I am just getting my qualifications ready to submit interest for state sponsorship to Victoria. I am a carpentry and joinery lecturer in the UK. My job is on the list but it doesn't mean I will get one reading all the posts on people struggling to find work for months on end. I an new to the forum and this is actually my first post.

Thank you for your posts on this site, they are factual and eye opening.

I think a lot of people come and make a great life for themselves, but sometimes it takes a while to slot in, so like to think that people have enough resources to withstand any period of unemployment. Also that people need to realise its so different here, its not like the UK and things are done differently. They say Aussies are laid back and they are, does not mean they are not good at what they do, they just think on it before acting. Also Aussies are very resiliant people as a lot come from pioneering stock when there were no air conditioners, heaters, and they just had to make do with things. Could not go to the local shop and I think that is what has made Aussies the way they are.

I am now a laid back Aussie too according to my sister who just visited me. :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Petals

I hope to migrate this year from London on parent visa.I have never held a regular job.I have lived on my rental incomes and my spouse`s earnings.I am 55 years old female with Graduate degree in life sciences.Can you tell me what job I can expect in Melbourne to keep myself busy to earn some pocket money and to get assimilated in Aussie way of life.Some one suggested to buy house in HILLSIDE near Tullamarine airport. Is it a good place to live? Will my investment be safe in case of downturn In Aussie economy that everyone is writing about. I hope that you don`t mind my asking you so many questions.

Regards

• 5 weeks later...

Certainly is hard to find a job, or a descent paid job (I guess depending on where you live)

We moved over on a 457 visa, sponsored through my wife's new job.

I used to be an IT manager in central london and want to avoid the commute into Melbourne (based in Geelong)

Don't mind starting at the bottom but at 40-45k (AUS) that is not what I had in mind.

Everyone states how good the salaries are, and in some respects they are, but not what I thought it would be.

Seems like everything that is happening is mainly in the bigger locations.

:)

Certainly is hard to find a job, or a descent paid job (I guess depending on where you live)

We moved over on a 457 visa, sponsored through my wife's new job.

I used to be an IT manager in central london and want to avoid the commute into Melbourne (based in Geelong)

Don't mind starting at the bottom but at 40-45k (AUS) that is not what I had in mind.

Everyone states how good the salaries are, and in some respects they are, but not what I thought it would be.

Seems like everything that is happening is mainly in the bigger locations.

:)

Hi sorry for the intrusion, but is 40-45k enough to live with for a family? Heard that rent is a lot to pay

Hi sorry for the intrusion, but is 40-45k enough to live with for a family? Heard that rent is a lot to pay

It depends on where you are, how big the family is, expectations and so on.

I personally don't think so. But some would disagree :)

It depends on where you are, how big the family is, expectations and so on.

I personally don't think so. But some would disagree :)

Thanks for the reply, I've been doing lots of calculations on cost of living and income needed to live in melbourne. Many have shared that they are not saving at all per month and some even said they have to use money from their old savings as well.

I would say you would need at least double that.

I'd agree with this. I think even with this amount, you would struggle to save money. The costs are just rather high.

Before coming out here, I was always told how much you earn, how much spare money you have and how much you can save.

I'm not finding any of that to be honest. It's very expensive here (apart from petrol)

Even though that is the case, I think quality of life is better here and love the outdoors :)

I'd agree with this. I think even with this amount, you would struggle to save money. The costs are just rather high.

Before coming out here, I was always told how much you earn, how much spare money you have and how much you can save.

I'm not finding any of that to be honest. It's very expensive here (apart from petrol)

Even though that is the case, I think quality of life is better here and love the outdoors :)

Yep agree, no savings on that level (particularly with a family) and probably regularly dipping into nest egg you have brought with you.

Guest nastasia
Yep agree, no savings on that level (particularly with a family) and probably regularly dipping into nest egg you have brought with you.

Dipping into nest egg until when? What if nest egg remains nothing after that?

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi everyone thanks for the thread but I heard in Victoria if you take training or apprenticeship by victorian government you can get job. Anyone heard about that? Many indian friends got job with that process I heard. I am living in south australia and thinking to move to Victoria in december

And the governments solution is to maintain immigration at record highs. Even to increase to quarter of a million a year. Does maintain GDP but certainly lowers living standards.

The results must be declining jobs and greater competition resulting in lower pay rates in general. Is this only Victoria though? Think the job market is in decline in most/all states.

Archived