Taking the plunge to Oz from the uk ....need some advice please :)

Andy2577

I have reciently come back from OZ as my sister lives out there and I must say it's the 1st time I have ever been ....I was there for a week and fell in love with the place !

i have now decided to make the move and I was hoping for some advice with regards shipping and customs charges etc.

basically I have a 2006 range rover autobiography that I want to take out there also some personal possessions I.e. Work told,bed,and some other furniture as well as my two Doberman's

I understand australia will only allow certain makes/models into the country and I was wondering where can I find the list of vehicles accepted into the country ?

also is there some way I can find out the cost of the customs charges at the other end and how and when should they be paid ?

is there customs duty / charges to be paid on household goods ?

and last but not least......with regards my dogs ....will I have to pay any charges I.e. Customs charges over in OZ ?

i reolise I'm asking a lot of questions here but I am completely lost as to where to start

all replies will be greatly appreciated

many thanks

andy

Dont even think about these things until you know if you qualify for a visa. Many people dont. The starting point is immi.gov.au

If you can tell us details about yourself we may be able to help on your likelyhood of getting a visa.

Occupation / qualifacations

These are two of the first big questions.

We went with an agent in Swindon I believe, Ian Harrop, most helpful!! On top of the charges of the visa application costs we paid an extra £1500 to the agent, in total, about £3,800, that is with the IELTS (English language certification).

I have just imported my 1978 Toyota Hiace from the uk to Melbourne, lots of paperwork, lots of money, lots of swearing etc. Loads to take in. If you get your visa, drop me line, I will be more than happy to help with what happens at this end.

I work with a guy who emigrated from Birmingham, he submitted his papers in Spetember and was here in January. Good luck!

The only Port Vale fan in Melbourne!

Ok, thats the first bit. But, having an occupation on one of the lists is only the start.

Look up the SOL and CSOL lists on the immi site and find your occupation. Next to it is a number. Google this number and it will tell you what you need to pass the skills assessment for it. That is vital as you need to pass a skills assessment before you do anything. This will include a minimum amount of experience in which ever one you put forward and if you have moved between them a bit it could cause an issue as the experience usually has a minimum amount that has to be recent.

If the occupation you can pass the skills assessment for is only on the CSOL list, then you will need to look at either state or company sponsorship. Some of the occupations you have listed are not eligible for skilled migration (driving). Then it comes down to ploughing through the immi web site and figuring out which visa you are eligible for - there are a number and some are better than others.

Regards your car, have a look at this thread http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/transport-shipping/97053-transporting-your-car-oz-everything-you-need-know.html

Dogs, many people do bring them. It is an expensive and a long process that needs to be started many months in front. If you speak to http://www.petairuk.com/ they will advise. While some people do that pet process themselves, it is not advised.

With regards to personal possessions, there are loads of international movers and it depends on how much stuff you have. If you only have a small amount, then movecube might work. Yes there are fees. A household of furnishings is going to not see much change from 5 grand.

Ok, thats the first bit. But, having an occupation on one of the lists is only the start.

Look up the SOL and CSOL lists on the immi site and find your occupation. Next to it is a number. Google this number and it will tell you what you need to pass the skills assessment for it. That is vital as you need to pass a skills assessment before you do anything. This will include a minimum amount of experience in which ever one you put forward and if you have moved between them a bit it could cause an issue as the experience usually has a minimum amount that has to be recent.

If the occupation you can pass the skills assessment for is only on the CSOL list, then you will need to look at either state or company sponsorship. Some of the occupations you have listed are not eligible for skilled migration (driving). Then it comes down to ploughing through the immi web site and figuring out which visa you are eligible for - there are a number and some are better than others.

Regards your car, have a look at this thread http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/transport-shipping/97053-transporting-your-car-oz-everything-you-need-know.html

Dogs, many people do bring them. It is an expensive and a long process that needs to be started many months in front. If you speak to http://www.petairuk.com/ they will advise. While some people do that pet process themselves, it is not advised.

With regards to personal possessions, there are loads of international movers and it depends on how much stuff you have. If you only have a small amount, then movecube might work. Yes there are fees. A household of furnishings is going to not see much change from 5 grand.

Thanks for the info guys...it's very helpfull

on a separate question ....if I came say on a working holiday visa,would I be able to bring my dogs and personal posessions with me on that visa or would I need to be a permanent resident for that ? From what I understand I can't bring my car over until I have gained permanent residency

Sorry should have mentioned I qualify for two types of visa ..... A skilled migrant visa due to my qualifications and also a normal working visa

I think you should focus on getting the skilled migrant visa first, before worrying about cars and dogs. What on earth do you mean by a "normal working visa"? I don't know anything that goes by that name.

Archived