Aus to UK, any advice form someone who has done this recently/doing it now

wattsy1982

Hi all,

We are considering moving back to the UK next year and I know its a way off yet but the costs soon add up so thinking about budgeting now so we can put away x amount each month.

Flights one way for me, my wife and our 2 boys are looking like $6k and the one rough removal quote ive had so far from Crown is coming in at just shy of $10k. We used them to come out here and they were superb...albeit it on the pricy side.

Any advice, stories, experiences or knowledge would be good.

Thanks

Dan

some people will never get it that for some the whole sense of being and culture etc is actually important.

When going back it will be a pain just like when you got here, no history (bills of proof of address etc...) you wont be shocked by anything though but i will say as the exchange rate has shifted in favour of the pound things will appear more expensive than they did. Europe is coming back on line as Aus shrinks.

In all I think you are making a good decision to head back now, give it a couple of years and many may decide they want to go back but wont be able to afford it as before in the early 2000's

Thanks for the reply dustyroad.

I was actually more looking for advice on shipping furniture back to the UK, hence me posting in Transport & Shipping.

Thank you though, and I agree, there wont be the fear of he unknown factor.

Dan

I would watch what you are taking back. We went back once and took all the furniture we bought in Oz, loads of it had to go into storage like the massive bed, and dining room table etc as it was way too big for our UK house. We paid $8000ish over 2 1/2 years ago.

I went back for twelve years, and it was mostly a good experience. I would not have stayed so long otherwise! I suppose one thing I would mention is that, in some ways, going back 'home' was actually more like emigrating for a second time, partly perhaps because I was living in another village, only seven miles away from my original home, but it may as well have been ten thousand miles! But also because I had not really 'lived' in the UK for a long time. I'd been for lots of holidays of course, but living, working, just 'being' there, took a while to adjust. Most people go back on holiday in the British spring/summer, when it is often glorious. January, February, are not quite so 'glorious!' (But I got used to the winters too.)

What I'm trying to say is that you might be 'homesick' for Austraila, and go through the same feelings you probably had when you first came to OZ.

Don't 'burn your bridges', perhaps? Are you Australian citizens? It's always handy to have those Aussie passports!

Good luck!

Hi Wattsy 1982

Not sure how long you have been away from the UK for, but we are also heading back after being away for 11 years. As well as removals and flights when you get back to the UK, I understand they treat you as if you have no credit history, i.e car insurance premiums, house rental etc. so we will pay up front to rent a house there for 6 months. Also enquired about a mortgage with a lender who we have held an account with whilst away only to be told 'computer says no' as we have been away for over 3 years. There may be other lenders though who will grant a mortgage so will have to look around when we get back.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi! We are in the process of moving back to the UK in about 6 weeks. We have had a few quotes for shipping and the cheapest seems to be Chess Removals. I researched them on here and a lot of people have had a good experience with them. Make sure you shop around for shipping costs as our quotes have varied hugely!! Just about to start looking into insurance, iv heard its a lot cheaper to go with an independent insurer than with the removal companies. Hope that helps!

Hi all,

We are considering moving back to the UK next year and I know its a way off yet but the costs soon add up so thinking about budgeting now so we can put away x amount each month.

Flights one way for me, my wife and our 2 boys are looking like $6k and the one rough removal quote ive had so far from Crown is coming in at just shy of $10k. We used them to come out here and they were superb...albeit it on the pricy side.

Any advice, stories, experiences or knowledge would be good.

Thanks

Dan

We pretty much shipped everything back as it seemed cheaper that way. One thing to consider is whether you will have somewhere to put it in the UK. We had kept our old house so it was no problem for us. Check the usual things - remove batteries. (We had one box that had a talking kids toy in it). Everything worked over here. Bring back a few power boards as well. Can't help on flights much as we use Emirates, mainly because they are good, but they are often the cheapest too. Their inflight entertainment is suburb, depending on how old your kids are. We had no major problems with customs etc. Make sure everything is labelled. You will want some stuff before others.

Good luck.

Archived