Building Trade (Joiner/carpenter) help????

Stacy Cooper

Do you have to do a test before you can go on site in Australia (health and safety or other) or another qualification to start working, even though qualified in UK?

Is there a lot of work for joiners about?

what is the average wage for joiners?

how different is the building trade in Australia than the UK?

thanks

Do you have to do a test before you can go on site in Australia (health and safety or other) or another qualification to start working, even though qualified in UK?

Is there a lot of work for joiners about?

what is the average wage for joiners?

how different is the building trade in Australia than the UK?

thanks

You can do the test before you leave through a company call blue dog on the internet. I got a Western Australia white card though them and it is recognised across Australia. Unlike the CSCS card, it doesn't need renewing. As for work, well, it isn't great here in Sydney, going quiet at the moment. In my experience if your not working for an agency they start you off at $25 an hour for a trial period, then up it as time goes on, $30 - $35 an hour is about standard for a carpenter, $40 for one on the ABN but you have to sort your own tax and insurances and super out of that.

I found it quite different out here at first, different terminology for things will catch you out more than anything. it all depends on what you do. here in Sydney framework houses are common but to make good money and keep the work coming you have to be fast, which when your new to it is hard, and hot as it's all outside. same with formwork. commercial is a bit more relaxed but still, they don't like you taking a minute to catch your breath.

I haven't worked in Perth, so it may be more relaxed out there, I'm told Sydney is the hardest city to work in.