17 moving to Oz, no clue how the system works there

jake123

Hello, i am 17 and moving to Australia in June. I am currently in Year 12 in the UK but i am finding it hard to find out information about if Australia has colleges or not and if not if they have anything similar? Any advice and information would be hugely appreciated thanks!

Each State calls it something different so you need to tell us where you are heading to. Also look up the State Education Department as there is a lot of information which will help you. Year 11 and 12 in Victoria are the years people prepare to go to university or Tafe colleges or just decide what they want to do with their lives. Entrance to university depends on how well people do in these years.

Can you finish A levels before you move? Otherwise it is going to be very hard for you to get a half decent score for entry to Uni. It's a totally different education system (systems actually) and 17 is a really difficult time to arrive unless you absolutely have to

At 17 you might have to do year 12 again over here if you haven't completed A levels. Our school year starts late Jan/early Feb so you would be midyear. If it were me I would go into the last 6 months of year 11 and then start fresh for year 12 if you are not doing A levels first. You may also have a problem with fees for higher education unless you have citizenship, best to check.

I've been enquiring about this as my son is currently in Year 11 doing GCSEs in the next few months and we are moving out in September. Even though he is 17, the schools we have contacted are happy for him to start in Year 11 there to do his last two years in their Sixth Form equivalent.

You may be best off doing the two years so you get a decent score at the end of it. I know that means an extra year of schooling, but it'll be worth it in the long run!!

Where are you moving to?

You could do part of Year 11 and all of Year 12 and still get a decent entry score (depending on how bright and capable a student you are).

If you decided that you didn't want to finish your A Levels and came here to Australia and decided that you wanted to go to Uni, you also have the option of doing a Tertiary Prep course or going to TAFE and then Uni later on.

Personal opinion: the Australian systems offer you more pathways to University than the UK, if that is what you want. In fact, there may just be too many. And they can all vary somewhat by State/Territory!

I'm moving to Mandurah, WA. What do you recommend i do? If i was to go half way into Year 11 how would i go about looking into this? Thanks!

You run a risk if you go into the yr 11/12 course part way through especially if you are planning on Uni after school. Bear in mind, too, that the yr 11 cohort are just 16 or just about yo turn 16. Think of how easy it would be to get good A level grades if you missed the first third of the course!

You out might prefer to look at TAFE for yr11/12 study but bear in mind the results from TAFE are often not as good as those from schools and the cohort is not generally as motivated to learn. Also, depending on the visa you will be coming on, post compulsory education can cost you significantly more than school education.

are you sure you can't stay for A levels?

Archived