Weekly/Monthly Budget

idblew

Hi,

I'm moving out with my family (wife plus 2 monsters), on a PR Visa, sometime June-August (subject to house sale), and have started trying to work out how much money we will need to live on a weekly/monthly basis.

Can people living in/around Melbourne provide feed back on the rough costs for the items listed below?

Rent (4 bed house) - currently allowing $400-450 per week

Electricity

Gas

Water

Internet/Phone

Food

Council Tax (or equivalent)

Anything else I've overlooked?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ian

Can't really help with prices but other things to add?

Transport costs eg Petrol, running a car, insurance, or public transport.

Mobile phones.

Would you want sky equivalent?

Life insurance?

Entertainment.

Medical insurance?

Hope that is of some help. Sure others will post how much they spend :)

Not looking to be in the heart of Melbourne, anywhere within a 45-60 minute commute of the CBD.

Updated list below:

Electricity

Gas

Water

Internet/Phone/Mobiles

Food

Satellite TV

Life Insurance

Medical Insurance

Have a look at bundled TV/Phone line/Broadband packages from Telstra (with Foxtel), iinet and Optus (both with Fetch tv) as an indicator of costs for those. Depends largely on what you and your family would need in terms of channels, broadband usage caps, any international calls etc.

Telstra with Foxtel would be the more expensive option.

Have a look at bundled TV/Phone line/Broadband packages from Telstra (with Foxtel), iinet and Optus (both with Fetch tv) as an indicator of costs for those. Depends largely on what you and your family would need in terms of channels, broadband usage caps, any international calls etc.

Telstra with Foxtel would be the more expensive option.

Which of the providers would you recommend?

We'd need decent broadband as potentially I'll be working from home, plus I do like my football!

Cant comment on the costs specific to melbourne but we live on the gold coast, been here 8 months and we are finding things expensive.

Our food is about $300 a week, and thats only the supermarket so doesnt include any alcohol.

Then there is childcare.....SO expensive, $84 a day per child......

We find water very cheap and electric is average too.

We currently pay $510 a week for rent and with running 2 cars our bills are about $1700 a week all in.

Doubt this has helped but just something to consider maybe.

Hi,

I'm moving out with my family (wife plus 2 monsters), on a PR Visa, sometime June-August (subject to house sale), and have started trying to work out how much money we will need to live on a weekly/monthly basis.

Can people living in/around Melbourne provide feed back on the rough costs for the items listed below?

Electricity

Gas

Water

Internet/Phone

Food

Anything else I've overlooked?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ian

Hi Ian, we're a family of 4 living in a 5 bed house in Sandringham which is quite a nice and fairly affluent suburb located approximately 30 mins drive from Melbourne CBD. I think we got a good deal on the rent and are paying $530 per week, or $2,303 per month for the house. A lot of the other properties we liked in the area were upwards of $650 per week but you should be able to get something for $400-$500 per week depending on the area you want to settle.

Electricity is a lot more expensive than gas and has been working out at around $200 per month for us. However, we have an old water tank in the attic that is heated through electrical conducting during the night which increases our costs. I would still say budget around $150 per month at least for a family of four.

Gas is fairly cheap and costs us around $75 per month, obviously less in the summer with a slight increase in winter. Water works out at roughly the same.

We got a deal on our phone line that included internet and a T-Box (similar to Sky) for $95 per month and is more than sufficient for our needs. If I could go back and choose again I wouldn't have bothered with the T-Box though, as we hardly ever watch it.

Food can vary depending on how frugal you are and whether you want to include alcohol in the cost. We've been careful with what we buy and are spending around $220 per week on food and nappies, etc with say another $20 - $30 per week on beers and wine. We're not heavy drinkers so in some weeks we don't spend anything on alcohol. My wife says her friends spend upwards of $300 per week but you can get this down if you're careful on what you buy.

Council tax won't apply if you're renting, although you might want to factor in perhaps the cost of contents insurance which I managed to get at $400 for the year. Then there's the cost of running a car (if you choose to buy one), school fees (even if it's a state school) and general miscellaneous expenses for days out, etc. I would suggest taking pack ups wherever you go, as otherwise you'll be spending upwards of at least $40 on lunch every time you travel out!

We have actually done a lot better than expected considering how expensive things are over here, and are managing to save around $4,000 per month. Both myself and my wife work (her part time, myself full time for a firm of loss adjusters). We've heard horror stories of people coming over with their life savings or proceeds from a house sale without having a job arranged and within 6 months it's down the drain. In my personal opinion, for what its worth, I would say it's financial suicide coming over here unless you have a decent job lined up first or are 95% sure there is sufficient work available to secure a job pretty soon after your arrival.

Hope this helps mate. We also moved out on a PR visa last July but things haven't worked out for us as planned and we're heading back to blighty in July. Happy to help with any other queries you have in the mean time.

Rental is a difficult one - do not underestimate the poor quality of rentals here - We found in Brisbane that to get a rental equivalent to the standard of our UK house (nothing fancy) and live in decent commuting distance to city we had to pay $650 per week. Our last house which was an absolute slum was $480 per week. I understand that Melbourne rentals are a little higher, but given that the climate is different, quality of rentals may be better.

Archived