489 Visa Questions

marsh942

I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for a few pieces of advice/information. I'm a 23 (nearly 24) carpenter and joiner from Scotland, I have an aunt and uncle who moved to Melbourne approx. 3 years ago, after a working holiday there and staying with them for a few weeks I've decided I'd like to move there. They have kindly offered to sponsor me for a 489 visa as they are now eligible. I've sat my IELTS test and am waiting on results and have been slowly but surely gathering documentary evidence/references etc to send for my Trade Recognition Test. Here's some of my questions:

1) Does anyone know if its possible to have the technical interview/practical demonstration in Scotland and if so, which Trades Recognition Australia (TRA) approved company does it (VETASSESS/VIC Uni etc) ?

2) In regards to the test would I be better sitting a test for both carpentry or joinery or stick to a single test for one or the other?

3) What sort of time-scale would I be looking at for the test and then for the visa?

4) What amount of saving would people recommend having to take over there?

Thanks in advance for any help, very much appreciated!

Edited by marsh942

Hi Marsh942

we came on a 489 in October State Sponsorship and find it fine! the 189 is permanent thats why it is better though! but we werent able to get that as we were 5 points short

anyway i cant help with your first 2 questions im afraid but as for time frame IELTS took I think 2 weeks and my visa only took 3 months so pretty quick in comparison to others i think...

savings all depend on how many of you are emigrating i guess but iv known people come with very little and others come with a lot and you make it work whatever you come with good luck with everything

charl

Edited by charl2

what do you mean by 'better quality of visa'?

A permanent one not a provisional one. The 489 comes with conditions about where you can live and work and then in two years you have to go through another process to get the permanent visa. If you can get the 190 or 189 from the start then there is none of that.

hi charl2, thanks for the feedback! I should have IELTS test results Monday coming (fingers crossed)! 3 months is a pretty good time for the visa to come back, how did you find the process? did you have all your information spot-on first time round?

Rupert, thanks for the input! I can imagine the 189/190 process will be longer/more difficult than the 489 route?

hi we used a migration agent to do it for us and they had all of our info ready for when the ielts results came back then we had medicals straight away - we had an appointment in a week so everything was really straight forward for us!

hopefully will be for you too :)

no i dont mind you asking - we paid monthly £250 i think it was £2000 in total but well worth it for us anyway

they did absolutely everything just emailed to say send this or that and sign this! was great lol

Edited by charl2

hi charl2, thanks for the feedback! I should have IELTS test results Monday coming (fingers crossed)! 3 months is a pretty good time for the visa to come back, how did you find the process? did you have all your information spot-on first time round?

Rupert, thanks for the input! I can imagine the 189/190 process will be longer/more difficult than the 489 route?

No the 489 process is longer and more difficult to PR as explained because it has two stages, this initial stage and then again in two years time. The process to get the initial 489 or the 189 or 190 would be more or less identical. The 489 visa has its place but there is no reason why anyone would get a 489 if they can get enough points for one of the others.

Edited by Rupert

Hi marsh942. When did u sit your ileitis exam? Where are you thinking of going? For example at present coming to perth. The whole of perth is classed as regional so you can live anywhere Aswell as work anywhere, ( this changes a lot) I'm a carpenter and done my practical exam through vet asses. As far a s I know they no longer do the carpentry and joinery as 2 separate tests its combined. And now you just do it as 1.

Hi Marsh,

You are 23-24 yrs old so you will get 25 points. Plus 10 points for your trades qualification subject to positive assessment. If you get an 8 in each of the 4 modules of IELTS, you end up with 55 points. I hope you will be able to justify the 5 points with your relevant work experience. If you dont meet the 60 points mark, subclass 489 is not a bad option since victoria allows the family sponsored visa holders to live and work in any city/area of the state!!!

There is a cap on the Family Sponsored 489 but not the State Sponsored 489. Since 489 is a provisional residency, you do not get healthcare benefits. Also for any kind of further studies, you will be considered an International student. I am not sure about the difference in timelines, but if you can manage the points, you should go for 189 or 190.

Hey there

We are in Australia on a 475 which is the old version of the 489. We have restrictions upon where we can work and live as we must stay in regional Australia for 2 years. It's a pain because great jobs come up and I can't apply for them because they are not in a permitted postcode. We will have done our regional time in December and then will be entitled to move and apply for the 887 visa. This will be another set of police checks, medicals and visa fees.

It has had a huge impact for us because my son has decided he wants to return to the UK when he finishes school and join the Royal Navy. I think perhaps if we had been in city with more things to do or even stayed closer to the beach he might have felt differently.

After all the hard work to get here we may not even stay here as I may want to be close to where he is.

My advice. If you can get the flexibility that the permanent residency visa offers, do it.

Millie