Living in/Returning to the North East?

Aunt Agatha

I would be keen to hear about great places to live in semi rural settings.

I've heard good things about Heddon on the Wall - a very popular semi-rural location in Northumberland. It's nine or ten miles from Newcastle if my memory serves me correctly.

nic1171 I should have said wearsiders welcome too :-D

Thanks w1johnston. At the moment we have Morpeth, Corbridge, Hexham, Alnwick and Tynemouth on our hitlist but I'm really keen to hear of other towns and villages with a nice vibe, commutable to Newcastle. Good schools are important, somewhere to get a decent coffee (for DH) and access to some nice independent shops would be ideal. It's a long time since I lived in the region and I suspect that some places would have gone downhill while others will be nicer than I remember. If I mention Alnwick my Dad says "Alnwick's rough on a Saturday when all the lads come in from the surrounding villages" - I think he might be a bit out of touch since Country Life voted it the best place to live in Britain a while back and it's all food festivals and gardens nowadays!

Hi, I'm from Newcastle upon Tyne! Tynemouth is lovely, has all the things you describe! Might be a bit lively weekend nights tho!! I was there in Tuesday for a meal, it was lovely, the beaches are great too! My husband works in Alnwick and he always says how lovely it is!

I agree that Tynemouth may be the nicest of all you have listed and it has Kings School which used to be a well to do private school. I have heard it is now open to people that live in the catchment area, the only thing with that is that the house prices have shot up (or so i have been told) and i would imagine rent is reflected by this also and it wasn't the cheapest of area's to begin with.

Alnwick is lovely but i personally would not like to commutte daily from there to Newcastle and back again. The A1 is still single carriageway for a lot of that journey and if you get stuck behind a lorry or worse a tractor it can be frustrating, not to mention the roadworks or accidents etc.

Have you considered Cramlington? It isn't too far from Newcastle, has lots of restaurants, pubs, schools, shops, a shopping centre, a cinema, council leisure centre with pool, railway station and they are in the process of building a hospital with A&E facilities.

If you do like the look of Hexham and Heddon there is also Haydon Bridge. Not sure what the schools are like there though.

We drew a semi circle from Morpeth in the north, Hexham in the east and Durham to the south and looked at houses in that area. We ended up in Hexham because we found the house we liked best and, as we'd lived here before, it was more familiar.

You're really spoilt for choice in this area (NE) though - so many lovely towns and villages to choose from!

My oh has to drive to Sunderland via Newcastle every day and it takes an hour and a half. If he doesn't have to take the girls to school it takes an hour. The A69 is a really easy road and, as long as you hit the A1 roundabout at the right time, it doesn't take long to get into town.

Hi Bouncy you could be right re Tynemouth at the weekends, it does get pretty busy! It's so lovely though and I love the beach and Priory.

w1Johnston I have been reading about the new combined Priory Kings School and it sounds like a great school but massively oversubscribed no doubt. My Dad is from Tynemouth and went to Priory, it would be lovely to continue the tradition.

I am beginning to think Alnwick might be a bit far out, we'd like to keep the commute as short as possible really.

I have to admit I don't know anything about Cramlington but it sounds great from what you say - I'll do some research, thanks! I have been to Haydon Bridge - I think it's semi-rural? I was suggesting Heddon on the Wall for Sustain who fancied semi-rural, it might be a bit too quiet for us.

Petals I hadn't even considered going south and looking around Durham but I should because there are some lovely places and a bit cheaper than Northumberland too I think.

Caramac I think I'll follow your example and draw a semi circle using very similar points of reference. If we can get a couple of big ticks in the schools, commute and "bit of a central hub" boxes I could compromise on a lot of the things on my wish list.

Tynemouth, best place I have ever lived..... (with the exception of managing 6x weeks in Jan Juc here, until the commute nearly killed me).

Crackin boozers, really good beach, good metro into the toon, pretty well laid out too..... Man I miss that place. Was where Super Gran was filmed - enough said.

There's always Bellingham!! Lol. Haydon bridge is ok but but of a ghost town now due to the bypass. I went to the high school there & I did ok. My sil teaches there too.

Rothbury is a tourists dream in summer but tbh the roads for commuting in winter wouldn't be nice (says me who used to commute from Bellingham to Newcastle for ten years)

theres corbridge but it's expensive.

Just name a place & I'll let you know what's its like....I probably know someone who lives there!!

Bellingham is lovely but a bit far out for us. Thanks for the info on Rothbury. I love Corbridge and it's on our wishlist but we may be priced out.

Morpeth, Tynemouth and Hexham are our frontrunners at the moment. We had a big chat about priorities and we think catchment area for good schools has to come first. I hate that as it seems so damn middle class! LOL. I'm up to date with Morpeth and Tynemouth schools but what would be the good primary and secondary schools in Hexham?

Bellingham is lovely but a bit far out for us. Thanks for the info on Rothbury. I love Corbridge and it's on our wishlist but we may be priced out.

Morpeth, Tynemouth and Hexham are our frontrunners at the moment. We had a big chat about priorities and we think catchment area for good schools has to come first. I hate that as it seems so damn middle class! LOL. I'm up to date with Morpeth and Tynemouth schools but what would be the good primary and secondary schools in Hexham?

I'll PM you Hun xx

Archived