State sponsored visa. Do i need to stay in that state?

Nealmason1986

I know this is a bit of an odd question.

We have moved to canberra ACT on a state sponsored visa for my partners career.

We love the ACT and both have good jobs and have been here 8 months however i have a possible employment option in WA which is a little hard to turn down.

I know i am supposed to stay in the ACT for 2 years as part of my visa but this job opportunity is hard to turn down.

I absolutely love the ACT and had no intentions of moving away but i suppose the road in front of us can change and sometimes quickly.

What would happen if i left the ACT and would the government/ACT know if i moved to WA for my remaining 16 month of my state sponsorship?

After that i can get my PR and its happy days

I think I have confused myself. After 2 years my restrictions on which state I can live in are removed.

As far as I am concerned I am pr as I have been accepted into pr positions and my visa is permanent.

I have just worded my initial comment wrong.

On a 190 state sponsored is my obligation a moral one or a contractual one.

My visa has a date of 2018 at which point I need to get citizenship.

I don't think your visa is dated 2018 as an expiry, probably that was the date you had to move to Oz to full time before it was revoked. As long as you have moved in time, and as you are there you have, then you have 'permanent residency' meaning you can stay indefinitely. The only problem is if you want to leave Oz, even for a holiday, after 2018 then you need to apply for an RRV, or residents return visa.

If you've been living in Oz for a good whole then from what I understand the RRV is not a problem. Of course if you go for citizenship then this becomes irrelevant.

I don't think your visa is dated 2018 as an expiry, probably that was the date you had to move to Oz to full time before it was revoked. As long as you have moved in time, and as you are there you have, then you have 'permanent residency' meaning you can stay indefinitely. The only problem is if you want to leave Oz, even for a holiday, after 2018 then you need to apply for an RRV, or residents return visa.

If you've been living in Oz for a good whole then from what I understand the RRV is not a problem. Of course if you go for citizenship then this becomes irrelevant.

Pr visas only last five years. This is the same for all of them. Mine runs out in 2017. After this time you are free to carry on living in oz, it's if you want to leave that you need to apply for a return residents visa.

Pr visas only last five years. This is the same for all of them. Mine runs out in 2017. After this time you are free to carry on living in oz, it's if you want to leave that you need to apply for a return residents visa.

That's what I meant by being able to stay indefinitely unless you leave the country, even for a holiday. Have I misunderstood something or did I just word it in a confusing way?

Thanks for the answers guys. That's cleared a few questions up.

So am I understanding this right that our 2 years in canberra is only tied to a moral agreement and not a contractual? So I can really move anywhere in the act and Don't have to wait 2 years?

Yep

Yes you can move anywhere, it is only a moral obligation - at the moment, but who knows whether the goal posts may change in he future (if everyone reneges on their moral obligations the states don't get what they signed up for). However, I'm pretty sure you will be fine and things won't change that quickly though you never know.

Archived